It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you and me shouldn't get excited when we hear about new medical break-throughs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Let us be brutally honest to ourselves, and by ourselves I'm referring to the common person.

Not the top 10% or even 20% but you and me, the people that go day to day and work 8 hour shifts and even more to be able to support our families or to just be able to survive and have a roof over our heads.

We get sick care, but we never receive preventative care.

Whenever I hear about a "new medical break through" that might help reduce the risk of cancer or new technology that allows you to live without a pulse, I just don't get excited

why?

Because you and me will never receive that care.

We're not worthy enough to receive that kind of care, we have made great advancements in medicine but sadly our society believes that only certain privileged people deserve the best health care.

I'm not the kind of person that believes the government should take care of me and provide me with food, but I understand that there are people that are less fortunate that do depend on help from the government and I don't think any lesser of them.

However there is a large group of people in this country that do think lesser of those people, and they are the ones that believe that only certain people should receive the best health care and those not worthy enough should just be given the cheapest kind of care.

I do believe that access to the best kind of health care should be a right, we could begin by cutting down on that military spending

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
You know what you raise a very interesting point, many see the poor and yes even the vanishing middle class as undeserving of the best health care. They say the procedures and technologies are too expensive to be offered to everyone, meaning the poor. Just take for example the political debates of late where they never fail to make very telling comments about the poor. The poor are seen as undeserving of anything because as Cain said," it's their fault they're poor". My favorite is what Romney said he's not concerned with the poor because they have a safety net, and that safety is governmental social services like Medicaid. I suggest people go back to the old preventative remedies that kept farm people healthy 80 years ago instead of holding their breath for some of the breakthrough stuff we get to read about in publications like Scientific America . Just my nickel's worth.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

That option is out of the table most made at home remedies are little better that placebo, than we have to take in account that air, food and water supply are all contaminated. From coal plants to nuclear tests and accidents, DDT, lead, antibiotic resistant bugs and untested genetic altered foods... There is really no escape.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The average Joe will never see these advanced breakthroughs. We're not important enough, and we don't earn enough money.
This is something I feel was touched upon in The Strain Trilogy written by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro. One character Eldritch Palmer, is a multi-billionaire, that suffers with many life threatening diseases and illnesses and has been kept alive through considerable medical care, which he has been able to buy because A: he is vastly wealthy, and B: considerably powerful.

There are supposed to be cures for cancer, and AIDs, but the general public will never see them.

Personally, I think the Royal Family may be some of those with this privilege, since the Queen Mother lived into her hundreds, and Prince Philip is now 90, and I wouldn't be surprised if he lived into his hundreds. Death comes to us all eventually, and there is only so long the body can wilfully keep going, but in the mean time, you can probably cure anything with the right care and medications.
King George VI lived only until his mid fifties, but since he died in the 1940's I don't think they had the means then to cure cancer. I think we could look to see the future monarchy living a lot longer, unless of course, someone sends them into a dark tunnel in France...

new topics

top topics

join