It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So are we trying to get in touch with these "super earth" planets we've found or what?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The other week we learned of a "super earth" planet that was inside the crucial zone for creating life. I'm sure we're just going to keep finding more of these planets. So do we now have monitoring packages constantly pointing at these planets, seeing if we can hear anything? Are there any projects like that going on or do we just think it's cool there's a planet like earth and now we'll keep looking elsewhere?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Its not worth while until we can start using advanced micro wave communicators. Until that point, our messages take a very long time to reach its destination. Many human generations to just reach said planet.

But yes, SETI is sending messages to kepler b22 and others. Its quit fascinating really, but whether someone will answer is a completely different story.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Its not worth while until we can start using advanced micro wave communicators. Until that point, our messages take a very long time to reach its destination. Many human generations to just reach said planet.

Microwaves travel at the same speed as all electromagnetic radiation does even when they are emitted by advanced micro wave communicators. Velocity is not frequency dependent. If it is 100 light years away, it will take 100 years to get there.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I use BOINC to do seti@home. I try to help out the community in the unlikely event we find something of interest.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
To reiterate what the first two responders have said, the time it takes for communication to reach these planets is the preventative factor here.

If my memory serves me correct, the two closest planets are 22 and 35 light years away...that would mean 22 and 35 years for the message to reach them and 44 and 70 years for a return message, if they respond immediately...

that is if they receive the message, understand it and are capable of responding...also they may be uninhabited...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

edit on 12-2-2012 by AaronWilson because: Stupidity

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReaverTheBeliever
The other week we learned of a "super earth" planet that was inside the crucial zone for creating life. I'm sure we're just going to keep finding more of these planets. So do we now have monitoring packages constantly pointing at these planets, seeing if we can hear anything? Are there any projects like that going on or do we just think it's cool there's a planet like earth and now we'll keep looking elsewhere?

I believe we've 'friended' them on facebook - I'm sure they'll get back to us any day now :-)

on a serious note - it is exciting - isn't it? We always knew they were there - but now we actually know they're there

I was wondering the same thing as you

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Not to mention that if it's 100 light years away, and it will take 100 years at the speed of light to communicate to them, that what we're seeing now, is 100 years old.

Kepler B22 is about 600 light years..

Not a great deal I guess, but 600 years is a lot of missing info. And all they've done to detect the earth like planet orbiting it, is detect dips in the light curve, meaning we know pretty much nothing about the planet bar it's approximate size, 2.4 times the radius of the Earth. It could be a big fat volcanic rock.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

That's true but it sure is better than pointing our transmissions at random stars. Seems like we've seriously increased the odds of communication.

So I guess now all we have to do is find a way to transmit messages faster than the speed of light. Shouldn't be too difficult.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
To reiterate what the first two responders have said, the time it takes for communication to reach these planets is the preventative factor here.

If my memory serves me correct, the two closest planets are 22 and 35 light years away...that would mean 22 and 35 years for the message to reach them and 44 and 70 years for a return message, if they respond immediately...

that is if they receive the message, understand it and are capable of responding...also they may be uninhabited...

Providing of course that we had capability to send a message that would travel the speed of light,
which we don´t. Not even close.
edit on 12-2-2012 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ReaverTheBeliever

How do you know that we havent been communicating with them all this time? And they are now telling us about them now because maybe they want to get to know the inhabitants more???

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LionOfGOD

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Providing of course that we had capability to send a message that would travel the speed of light,
which we don´t. Not even close.
edit on 12-2-2012 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

I thought that radiowaves travelled at the speed of light?

Also if there were people on kepler 22b and they sent a message 600 years ago and we started listening to it recently would we get the message.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ReaverTheBeliever

Here is a new technique for finding aliens: look for their city lights. Assuming they would use similar technologies as us.
The problem of course is to able to detect and view this speck of light in the the glare of it's parent star.

This article explores the future generations of telescopes to search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

If an alien civilization builds brightly-lit cities like those shown in this artist's conception, future generations of telescopes might allow us to detect them. This would offer a new method of searching for extraterrestrial intelligence elsewhere in our Galaxy. (Credit: David A. Aguilar (CfA))

Link

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
If these planets are much more advanced than we are perhaps they are monitoring us already and have sent messages that we dont realize yet ?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by shamdaddy

Correct. My bad.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LionOfGOD

Good post, seriously. I'm favorably impressed with people who can admit when they were wrong...it's not easy to do.

Originally posted by shamdaddy
Also if there were people on kepler 22b and they sent a message 600 years ago and we started listening to it recently would we get the message.
True. If however they wait until receiving our message to reply, the soonest we'd hear from them is 1200 years from now.

Or if Stephen Hawking is correct that it's risky to announce our presence, in 600 years when they get our message, they could send an invasion fleet to Earth at half light speed, meaning in 1800 years or so they will show up to ravage our planet for its natural resources, and eat all of us for food LOL. Or maybe they'll be friendly, let's hope so. Hawking could be right though, first contact between different technologies has rarely worked out well for the technologically inferior beings on Earth.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
True. If however they wait until receiving our message to reply, the soonest we'd hear from them is 1200 years from now.

OH PUPPY POOP

I get so tired of all these disinfo agents and negative nannies on ATS these days. Don't you guys EVER get tired of taking the negative stance all the time> Live a Little... pay attention to what is ACTUALLY going on in the real world. Sheesh ATS is becoming debunker central lately :shk: [/rant]

Gliese 581D 20 light-years away in the constellation of Libra in the Goldilock Zone

Messages been underway for several years now Time till it arrives... at my mark..18Y :9D :13H :36M :05S

Where were YOU when they asked for messages to include?

Top Message...

Hello Gliese 581d inhabitant. Can you help us humans travel through space and become smart like you. Please do not eat us we are a friendly race.
Angus Pigott
Canberra, Australia

www.hellofromearth.net...

HELLO FROM EARTH

www.hellofromearth.net...

Sigh the guy just asked a question
No need to be so negative.. besides, its not like I haven't posted this a "few" times

For those who don't know where this is by now...

FULL SIZE HERE
edit on 13-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson

But yes, SETI is sending messages to kepler b22 and others. Its quit fascinating really, but whether someone will answer is a completely different story.

Your science teacher did't shout loud enough at you!

The amount of times we see a basic lack of knowledge on here makes me really wonder about the education system worldwide, everyone seems to be able to switch on a computer but a large percentage don't undestand BASIC scientific principles!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
[
OH PUPPY POOP

I get so tired of all these disinfo agents and negative nannies on ATS these days. Don't you guys EVER get tired of taking the negative stance all the time> Live a Little... pay attention to what is ACTUALLY going on in the real world. Sheesh ATS is becoming debunker central lately :shk: [/rant]

Gliese 581D 20 light-years away in the constellation of Libra in the Goldilock Zone

Messages been underway for several years now Time till it arrives... at my mark..18Y :9D :13H :36M :05S

You talk about disinfo

Well since we have been shouting at the universe via radio waves for a good a good deal longer than 40 yrs they haven't replied zorgon maybe they are all out exploring the universe.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that we have yet to directly observe any of these so-called "super Earths", their existence and size being mere inferences based on fluctuations in brightness of a distant star?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join