It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria rejects Arab League anti-Assad resolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Syria rejects Arab League anti-Assad resolution

The Arab League resolution called for U.N./Arab peacekeeping forces in Syria and tougher sanctions against Assad & Co.

The League also said they are ending their observer mission to Syria.

The Sudanese general leading the observers quit on Sunday.

"I won't work one more time in the framework of the Arab League," General Mohammed al-Dabi, whose appointment had been criticized because of Sudan's own rights record, told Reuters.
(I see the general was well qualified)

The latest effort was apparently in response to Russia and China vetoing a UN resolution that would have called for Assad's resignation from power.

long article: By REUTERS 02/12/2012 20:23 -- JPost
League ministers in Cairo had called for UNSC peacekeeping force in Syria, tougher sanctions against ruling regime

How Will The Syrian Conflict End Without U.N. peacekeepers ?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Well this is starting get worse. First the UN off side, now the Arab League and El Qaeda both believe Assad's position is untenable. Either way this going to end very badly with a massive human cost. Sad but true
edit on 12-2-2012 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The Arab League are a joke by thought, they couldn't control let alone advise a monkey to eat bananas if they wanted to.

Perhaps the Arab League should concentrate its efforts on education the 85% of Saud's subjects in getting an education and while were at it, how about allowing woman to vote and drive...or did they already allow this to happen ? , then again i am in the year 2012 right and woman are allowed to vote and drive a car...hooray... see woman lib orgz do help even if its cool half century old...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Dear xuenchen,

A delight to see you in good health and authoring threads feverishly.

One possibility I see (and feel free to laugh at it's naivete) is to start applying gentle pressure to China and Russia through means such as this report, and persuade them that putting in UN peacekeepers is a good fall back position from sanctions, military action, and Assad's resignation.

I'd like to hope that the Bear and the Dragon could at least accept that.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

The question may be whether or not the U.N. forces will solve the problem and what the "real" mission would be.

We need to compare all the U.N. missions and see what results may have "helped" big corporations more than it may have "helped" citizens.

Current Missions - wiki

U.N. website

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Dear xuenchen,

Thank you, and of course you're right, the United Nations' peacekeepers are a very weak reed indeed. They have an abysmal record. But who else can go in? And if no one else goes in, what do we have besides sanctions? (And maybe diplomacy with Russia and China.)

I don't see good solutions, I'm reduced to wild long shots. Please offer me something I can be optimistic about.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

blah blah blah,Syrians are scared of muslim brotherhood and prefer assad anytime over muslim brotherhood thugs you ardently support.

Some 55% of Syrian respondents do not believe President Assad should resign, whereas it was found that it was the vast majority of respondents across the region, 81%, who want him to do so.
www.muslimnews.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Does anybody honestly think Assad would agree to UN peacekeepers under ANY conditions?
I wouldn't hold my breath.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

Forgive me, I'm confused. Are you sure you're replying to the right guy?

blah blah blah,Syrians are scared of muslim brotherhood and prefer assad anytime over muslim brotherhood thugs you ardently support.
I ardently support Muslim Brotherhood?? If you are talking to me, please tell me where you got that idea so I can clear up what appears to be massive confusion.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Does anybody honestly think Assad would agree to UN peacekeepers under ANY conditions?

Only in dreams perhaps.

The only way Assad agrees is when he makes a resignation speech

And that would only be with a gun to his head IMO.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

If he were to allow UN troops into his country then that would be for him admitting he has lost some control. So, I highly doubt that UN peacekeepers are a realistic option [Unfortunately more people will die either way]

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

If he were to allow UN troops into his country then that would be for him admitting he has lost some control. So, I highly doubt that UN peacekeepers are a realistic option [Unfortunately more people will die either way]

Good Point.

I agree.

Plus that, how would the peacekeepers keep up with who's who and who's side anybody is on.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

And then syria becomes like Kosovo with drugs,sex trafficking,organ trafficking mafia? This happens in KOSOVO with NATO and UN involvement.I was in Deraa when the terrorism started.My friends do not like Assad but they all dread muslim brotherhood and the so called 'free syrian army' .

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I have no doubts that the West is in there stirring the pot [That goes without saying] but,

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

A number of my friends used to attend anti-corruption protests and wanted oversight over the baath party corruption. But with muslim brotherhood terrorism sponsored by GCC and NATO common man in Syria is terrified because muslim brotherhood is known to kill secular sunnis,christians and alawities.Most sunnis in Syria are secular and modern with a culture of iphones,dell computers and the youth use to love western music.Now guess what happening ...

The same youth who worshipped west now hate it and absolutely want Russia to glass the West.If the West doesnt stop this crap ,one of these days the world will support a russian-chinese invasion and destruction of the West.But anyways , now our leadership admits that its wants a soviet constitution, and I absolutely hated USSR.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

I keep hearing about the "Russian/Chinese" angle to the story but honestly unless you're under 35 this is not really new. People tend to forget the 45+ years of the cold war. The united communist menace etc etc etc.

I'm not advocating an attack on Iran or Syria but MAD is still in place and NATO is still united. The only thing that has really changed are the dates.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

MAD is in place for the population and common man not the elites.The elites like Rothschild and Rockefeller want to depopulate the planet to levels of 200 million. Why is the West so hell bent on baiting Russia?

They want a war so that most of the population on the planet dies

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

As long as you don't hold your breath,under water........

The only troops Assad wants more of,are these.......

Better trained and armed.

top topics

join