It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly new superbug heading for Britain!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
www.express.co.uk...

Is this the same one that is currently going around America, new superbug that is very toxic and and very infectious that can infect healthy people outside of hospital? This looks very serious and im very worried that we seem to be doing nothing about it especially when the WHO said this could happen last year, it looks like it could take many people out becuase of the antibiotics it can resists. What are yout thoughts? Sorry if this has already been posted.
edit on 12/2/2012 by DeyTookErJeobs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
2 words.

Zombie Apocalypse.

REACHING OVERSEAS. It is now a pandemic (kidding or not, it is - by definition)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Already killed thousands? Damn, I had no idea on that - then again, I don't watch TV or read newspapers so I'm out of the loop in that respect.

That's it then, I'm locking myself in my flat.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Just right to coincide with the olympics where visitors from all over can take it home a spread it world wide.

To think people say the UK has nothing to offer the world.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Exactly what i was thinking, millions of people around the world all in one confined space, things are going to go down.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Anyone seen the film contagion?

Scary concept indeed.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

Relax. The linked article contains no facts, no names and no data. "Experts"? How many times have we heard this fear-mongering BS before? Anthrax, swine flu, pig flu, bird flu, MRSA, SARS, etc....

I give it a 10 on the fact-less reporting scale. Thousands dead? Really? Data? Proof? Next!

edit on 12/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Forgot bird flu

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Some highlights of the article:

One version of the killer bug – called USA300 – is passed easily through skin contact and can lead to a flesh-eating form of pneumonia.

It is resistant to even the most powerful antibiotics and could cause widespread infection and large numbers of deaths if it spreads suddenly.
USA300 has already killed thousands of people in America and is the highest single cause of death there from infectious disease.
It can cause large boils on the skin and lead to fatal blood poisoning or a form of pneumonia that can eat away at lung tissue.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
another foreigner bringing in another disease
take the australian way "you aint coming in"
(immigration i mean)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Calm down guys, i have no idea what is going on in America, i just saw the article and posted it on hear to get your thoughts on it as it got me worried a bit as im always getting ill!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
AHA! The keywords are "FLESH EATING"

I knew I was right!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
If it was REALLY anything to worry about would they tell us?

I dont think so.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Statistics and research information!

Prevalence, risk factors, and molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus among newly arrested men in Baltimore, Maryland

Background: Outbreaks of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) within prison populations seemingly attest to its spread within the corrections industry; however, the extent of MRSA colonization on arrest is unknown.

Methods: This study determined the prevalence and risk factors of S aureus on arrest. Nasal swabs from 602 newly arrested men were evaluated. Risk factors were assessed through self-report. Molecular characterization of each isolate was completed.

Results: The prevalence of S aureus nasal colonization was 40.4% (243/602). MRSA colonization was found in 15.8% (95/602) of the total population and in 39.1% (95/243) of the total S aureus isolates. Twenty-three skin infections were identified; of these, 11 (47.8%) were S aureus infections, with methicillin-susceptible S aureus (MSSA) in accounting for 3 cases (13.1%) and MRSA accounting for 8 cases (34.8%). In 2 cases (25%) of MRSA wound infection, the nasal colonizing strain was MSSA. By pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, 76 of 95 (80%) nasal isolates were found to be USA300 or related subtypes, with the other 19 (20%) being non-USA300 strains. The Panton-Valentine leukocidin gene was identified in 38 (97.4%) USA300 isolates and in 6 (31.6%) non- USA 300 isolates.

Source

Link to source wont work so here is the URL: www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/nursing/CIRAR/.../MS_Farley.pdf

(80%) nasal isolates were found to be USA300 or related subtypes

edit on 12-2-2012 by RandalFlagg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
superbug eh

yes thats it

be afraid..be very afraid..

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The media loves to scare and blow things out of proportions, but it is not a reason to ignore the reports totally.
This thing is a problem , it is a bacteria that has (almost) no treatment and if person is infected with it it is not a best thing to happen to him, for sure - even if he is a healthy individual with good immune system.
The issue is that it is not (Thanks God!) an airborn infection, it is a bacteria transimted by contact - so personal hygiene and lots of soap prevent it from evolving into something much more serious.
But it is a big problem for health care ,despite all that. Chances of finding this "bug" in hospitals is considerable , and people in hospitals are by definition not heathy with immune system allready stressed by whatever brought them to hospitals.
Think about it - it clearly messes with normal functioning of hospitals. So to those it kills directly you should add people who could not be treated due to this infection outburst.
It is not an end of the world,clearly. But it is not something we should ignore even now. But it gets better - Bacteria have a way of transmitting antibiotic resistence not only inside the strain but to totally different families via plasmides and ctr. So once the resistance meets airborne bug, it will become very sad day indeed.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I don't understand what is meant by "Heading" to Britain. Either it's there or it isn't. How can it be heading there?

And what is "Thousands" killed in America? This could be 2,000, 10,000, 100,000....

Sorry, just a little peeved at the article and see it as having a little Fear Mongering flavor. Although it could be true, they sure don't give much detail to help anyone understand.

Peace

edit on 12-2-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Could it be the same one as this...

Health scare at Auckland Airport 13/02/2012

A major health response is under way after an Air New Zealand plane landed at Auckland Airport with children with flu-like symptoms on-board.
The alarm was raised when a group of 73 children arrived into Auckland off NZ90 from Narita, Tokyo, at 9.20am this morning with the symptoms.....
tvnz.co.nz...

The start of the "Culling of World Populations" as desired by TPTB ?

www.prisonplanet.com...
bardofely.hubpages.com...
www.spellsandmagic.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The fact of the matter is it is true that their was an antibiotic resistant pneumonia that I personally recall hearing about from an attorney friend of mine in the Northwest USA. He said there was an outbreak of it in the county jail.

I also heard from a US Customs agent about this same thing. She was from Texas, and actually got infected with it when she was there. At that time, she was working as a prison guard.

I wonder what the statistic is exactly on how many people have died of this particular infection in various prison/jail facilities in the USA?

These are just people I know that have talked about it.

There's got to be some reports in the USA about these happenings.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So I did a search and typed in "mrsa resistant prison" and got results from lots of .gov and state prison websites. Now we need to find the death statistics. Here's a few just as examples:

MRSA in Louisiana State Prisons (PDF)

Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infections in Correctional Facilities --- Georgia, California, and Texas, 2001--2003

Outbreaks of infection caused by community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a Canadian correctional facility

If you read the above links, you will find that this is a well known fact. You will also find that it is happening ALL over the USA.

Here's the real kicker from Creighton University School of Medicine:

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain USA300: origin and epidemiology

It talks about the origins of the USA300 strain, how it's spread internationally, how it developed a microbial resistance-too much to really type here. Just read the links. It is a little scary if it's reached across to Britain.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Thank you for the extra research, need to watch this one

top topics

<<   2 >>

join