It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There An Ink Cartridge Scam?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthOej

A black and white printer just for documents will be cheaper in the long run, ive been out of the IT game for just under a year so i cant reccomend any specific models.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by DarthOej
reply to post by windword

Err I am not very good with jerry rigging things.

Me neither, and I was quite intimidated. I'm really proud of myself for actually doing it all by myself. It was pretty easy, really. And so worth it! You could probably find a nerd to install it for you and still save hundreds.

Here's an example of my printer work. The face is printed out on fabric, the large wings on tissue paper and the little wings on her headband are plastic.

Wow, that's some pretty nice work. I wish I knew a nerd that could do it for me, because anything I touch is destroyed.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Check out prices for a black and white laser printer.
I also, have an ink jet printer. To replace the cartridges, is about $20 each, for 4 cartridges. I rarely use it. They dry out fast, so to use it once every six months, is about $80 for a simple print job.

I'm going to get a laser printer one day soon, I think they're cheap now, and don't dry out. Even though the cartridges cost as much as the printer, you get hundreds more prints than the dried out cartridges of an ink jet printer.

Then just save the inkjet for if you need to print coloured pages, or pics.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Check out prices for a black and white laser printer.
I also, have an ink jet printer. To replace the cartridges, is about $20 each, for 4 cartridges. I rarely use it. They dry out fast, so to use it once every six months, is about $80 for a simple print job.

I'm going to get a laser printer one day soon, I think they're cheap now, and don't dry out. Even though the cartridges cost as much as the printer, you get hundreds more prints than the dried out cartridges of an ink jet printer.

Then just save the inkjet for if you need to print coloured pages, or pics.

I found a refurbished one for $69.99. I might try that.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

But do you not know that new printers don't have a full cartridge of ink? That is a very old scam. On an old Apple e2 machine I got seven (7) pages of black text before it ran out. But they all still play that game. Learn to use local. mail order reinked cartridges or do it yourself with available kits.

Being in the I.T industry for some 20 years I have heard that rumor before but have not seen any evidence of it. Just because I have not seen evidence does not mean I rule it out though. What I have seen though is many retailers, wholsalers & transport companies practicing poor stock storage/warehousing & transportation techniques which can dry the cartridges out. These are out of line with manufacturers recommendations.

I have actually witnessed an Australian wholesaler who had over ordered a large supply of a big name brand inkjet printers. They had no room in their warehouse to store them so instead left them out in the car park(plastic sealed on the pallet) in a blazing hot Australian summer sun for at least two weeks until they had room inside to store them. Some days even came in and near 40 degrees (100 degrees in US). When I spoke to a staff member after some time he proudly beamed we sold them all!

Some idiot retailers just sell really old stock where the cartridges have dried out naturally.

You did return the printer after only seven pages?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It's just like razor blades. They give you the razor free so they can sell you expensive blades. I've had several ink cartridge printers and I gotta tell you, they're all the same. You really have to use these printers on a regular basis to keep them working. They don't "sit" well. Now a b&w color laserjet is a different technology altogether and much more robust. My first Laserjet II was ruined because my cat peed on it and the urine got into the circuit board and fried it. I believe it would still be working today if that had not happened. My latest laserjet has been working for over ten years without a hitch. If you really need color, try a color laserjet combo printer and dump the ink cartridge stuff altogether
edit on 2/12/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
There's such a thing called a Continuous ink system.

You should maybe consider getting one so you wont have to worry about ink. Google CISInks, I got my inking system from them.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Its convient the setup process needs to print a bunch of pages before it works and its always very heavy and wet, maybe they arnt empty but deliberatly weaste too much ink on the setup?

that sounds plausable and sneaky enough

top topics

<< 1   >>

join