It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Respect must be earned!" Really? Discuss

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by Starchild23

I don't believe that respect is conditional.

Then, essentially what you are saying is that

you MUST

respect EQUALLY:

the 'free' choice to

shoot someone vs feed them;
whip them vs carress them;
laugh with them vs curse them;
slice their fingers off vs massage their feet;

I contend that SOME THINGS ARE

INHERENTLY RESPECTABLE

and SOME THINGS ARE

INHERENTLY DISRESPECTABLE.

Pretending otherwise is absurdly chaotic thinking and living.

Imagine that I was giving you an expensive ring with say a blue diamond in it.

I gave you a beautifully wrapped box with gold leaf wrapping etc.

And you opend the box . . . and there inside

was the beautiful ring . . . stuck on top of

a wet smelly pile of 3-5 horse biscuits.

Would you feel respected?

Confused?

That's a metaphor of willy nilly thinking about respect.

We naturally and rightly respect

--honesty
--commitment honored and walked out
--love
--kindness
--thoughtfulness
--caring
--helpfulness
--diligence
--duty fulfilled
--selfless sacrificial caring in behalf of others or an honorable ideal or principle, in behalf of God
--enduring honorable relationships
--strong gentleness
--honorable constructive affection
--. . .
. . .

We DISRESPECT their opposites.

What else is sane, or functional, in such regards?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Oh oh, I went and did it, did I? I was replying to a question about what I would teach my child in the context of peer vs adult respect and in that way I did try to impart them not to disciminate in terms of respect. That does not mean I respect all behaviors or that people can't make me lose respect for them.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Absolutely I respect their positions of leadership. That does not mean that I agree with them or anything they do or represent. If I was face to face with the leader of Iran I would still call him sir, as his position as a head of state would warrant. I think you are confusing respect with support or agreement for someone. You can be someone's enemy and still have respect for them, even as you try to destroy them.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Absolutely not, and honestly that's a pretty poor leap of conjecture. All people deserve respect regardless of their situation. Because you had mentioned in the OP the kids talking about not respecting their teachers I zeroed in on respect for someone in a position of authority. But an important thing to remember as I stated in another reply, having respect for someone does not mean you agree with them or their actions or support them or their actions. There is a big difference between respect and support.

To speak about Hitler, I respect the fact that he was able to build a military from nothing in a short amount of time and he was able to fool an entire country about what his true motives were. I have respect for his amazing ability to give a speech. I however DO NOT by any stretch of the imagination agree with, support or condone any of the abhorrent and terrible things he made happen.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Well, let's ask this.

If your child's friend had said, "I don't care who your friend is, I don't respect them until they earn it!", implying that the friend is a peer rather than an adult, would you be upset?

Or would you view it as growing up?

I think the problem with many adults nowadays (and this is rather an amusing viewpoint, being an adult myself and remembering how I once believed) is that they view themselves as Gods to be automatically feared and worshipped by children.

They believe their life experiences means that they automatically get every grain of respect a child has to offer...not to mention it makes them feel good.
But the simple truth is, respect is not naturally given. It is earned by reputation, and it is earned by interaction.

Well, if you deserve the respect so much you think you should get it automatically, then you should have no problem starting from scratch.

Namaste.

I do not respect everyone.
I do not respect criminals who harm or take from others.
I do not respect many politicans
I do not respect that woman who walks her dog and lets it crap on other people's lawns...and never picks it up.
I do not respect those preachers who tell us how to live, yet live a life of sin.
I could go on and on and on..........

Not everyone is deserving of respect, and not everyone will get my respect. I must see you are a respectable person and deserving of it.

IMO, telling a child to respect all teachers or ANY adult in authority is a very tricky situation...because fact is, not all adults deserve to be respected. Some adults seek to harm children...and children need to be armed with that knowledge and need to know when respect is given and when it is not given. I believe it is very very dangerous to tell a child to respect all adults....that is how children get molested, abused, kidnapped, etc etc.....

Yet at the same time, you don't want your child to be a jerk and rude and mean to everyone. It is a very very fine line....and not an easy one to define for a child because they do not have the life experiences of dealing with all kinds of people. But I truly believe that teaching a child that ALL people deserve respect right away is dangerous....they need to be equiped to BE respectful, but not necessarily trust and respect right away. Caution and observation is a good thing for them to learn.....

Two things that are always earned, in my book: TRUST & RESPECT - both are mutually inclusive of each other.

The definition: to hold in esteem or honor is one that I use for the word "respect"....and by that definition, it needs to be earned.

To quote starchild again..

It is earned by reputation, and it is earned by interaction.

edit on February 12th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Respect is earned ... period.

The doctor studied for many years to get respect.

The businessman worked hard for many years to get his respect.

The philosopher lived on a stone, and made many thoughts for year before anyone would listen.

Respect is and should be earned ... you do not just get respect .... if you did nothing you are nothing plain and simple.

If i have to respect you there must be a reason, otherwise i should just respect the grass for being .....

And the grass make some oxygen for me to breathe ... what did you do ?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Two things that are always earned, in my book: TRUST & RESPECT - both are mutually inclusive of each other.

You really hit the nail there, you can have respect for a stranger but trust is ALWAYS earnt.

Spending time with somone builds trust even if you dont do much to earn extra respect for each other.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pilot70

Are you talking about the esteem you hold inside for someone as opposed to the treatment /the way you deal with them? Does someone have to wear their pedigree on their sleeve to be shown respect?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yeah it is a common phrase from white power literature, specifically from the 88 precepts.

www....[hate-site-nolink]/forum/t830290/
Until the White race realizes that there is only one source from which we can ascertain lasting truths, there will never be peace or stability on this earth. In the immutable Laws of Nature are the keys to life, order, and understanding. The words of men, even those which some consider “inspired” are subject to the translations, vocabulary, additions, subtractions, and distortions of fallible mortals. Therefore, every writing or influence, ancient or modern, must be strained through the test of conformity to Natural Law.
The White Peoples of the earth must collectively understand that they are equally subject to the iron-hard Laws of Nature with every other creature of the Universe, or they will not secure peace, safety, nor even their existence. The world is in flames because Races, Sub-races, Nations, and Cultures are being forced to violate their own Nature- ordained instincts for self-preservation. Many men of good will, but little understanding, are struggling against symptoms which are the result of disobedience to Natural Law. As is the Nature of man, most take narrow, provincial stances predicated on views formed by immediate environment, current circumstances, and conditioned dogma. This is encouraged by that powerful and ruthless Tribe which has controlled the affairs of the world for untold centuries by exploiting Man’s most base instincts. Conflict among and between the unenlightened serves as their mask and shield. A deeper understanding of the Fundamental Laws that govern the affairs of Men is necessary if we are to save civilization from its usurious executioners. These few pages are not intended to provide a detailed system of government, but as PRECEPTS which, when understood, will benefit and preserve a People as individuals and as a Nation....

82. Respect must be earned; it cannot be demanded or assumed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join