It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Janice Voss, Veteran of 5 Space Shuttle Flights, Dies at 55

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Astronaut Janice Voss, a veteran of five spaceflights and a former science director for a NASA exoplanet-hunting spacecraft, has died after a battle with cancer. She was 55.

In total, Voss logged over 49 days in space, traveling 18.8 million miles (30.3 million km) while circling the Earth 779 times. Her five missions tied her with the record for the most spaceflights by a woman.

Ms. Voss had an incredible career with NASA and her contributions to the exploration of space were impressive. She will be missed.

Janice Voss Dies at 55
edit on 12-2-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Rest in peace, 55 is a young age
I bet she told her kids (if she had any) some cool story's - Shes Done things & seen things i can only dream of.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Yeah her bio is really impressive...a brilliant woman indeed. 55 is too young to lose your life to cancer. The scientific community really lost a dedicated individual. Very sad day.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
My heart goes out to her family.

I cant help but to think... Arnt astronaughts supposed to live forever? They have to be in the most perfect shape, have the best body makeup and has to be fit as king georges fiddle. If not, you wouldnt have a chance to be the cleaning lady who cleans the building.

That being said... I guess Nasa naughts dont live forever after-all. Maybe they'll lower the bar a little? I mean, by todays standards, 55 is pretty young still. Half aged damn near.

new topics

top topics

join