It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson, A man of the past who may have seen the future

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
coachketcham.com...
This is just one summary that is easily found with a Google search. Note Jefferson ran away like the coward he was rather than defend Virginia.
Both Burr and Hamilton supported freedom for black slaves. They even belonged to the same society in NY dedicated to abolition in the 1790s. Burr even thought Indians should be treated as equals, and Burr was very popular in NY even with this position. Whatever words he spoke, Jefferson never freed a slave. He sold one for money, but he never gave them their freedom.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"Reportedly believing his gubernatorial term had expired in June, Jefferson spent much of the summer with his family at Poplar Forest.[59] The members of the General Assembly had quickly reconvened in June 1781 in Staunton, Virginia across the Blue Ridge Mountains. They voted to reward Jouett with a pair of pistols and a sword, but considered an official inquiry into Jefferson's actions, as they believed he had failed his responsibilities as governor.
"The inquiry ultimately was dropped, yet Jefferson insisted on appearing before the lawmakers in December to respond to charges of mishandling his duties and abandoning leadership at a critical moment. He reported that he had believed it understood that he was leaving office and that he had discussed with other legislators the advantages of Gen. Thomas Nelson, a commander of the state militia, being appointed governor."[59]
(The legislature did appoint Nelson as governor in late June 1781.)
"Jefferson was a controversial figure at this time, heavily criticized for inaction and failure to adequately protect the state in the face of a British invasion. Even on balance, Jefferson had been a very poor state executive, and left his successor, Thomas Nelson, Jr., to pick up the pieces."[61]
He was not re-elected again to office in Virginia.[49]"
en.wikipedia.org...

Note - he was never re-elected to office again in Virginia.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt1951

Excuse me, The topic is about the quotes of Thomas Jefferson. What he believed and thought and said. Your posts have nothing at all to do with the topic of this thread. If you wish to tear up Jefferson then do something original and write your own thread. If your opinion of Jefferson is so low, then you have a problem that is not about the topic that is being discussed.
edit on 2/13/2012 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Sorry if you feel your thread is hijacked. Here is a good summary of Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings.
www.monticello.org...

The fact the man would keep his own children as slaves because they were half black says a lot about the false sayings of Thomas Jefferson though. If you are honest with yourself, you have to admit his sayings have no meaning because he did not follow them himself.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
To everyone who has contributed to this thread, I give you my thanks. Particularly I want to thank everyone who gave me such nice compliments on it. I would like to thank the mods who helped me find the proper forum for it.

I am considering doing more threads on the founding fathers. Perhaps some history or biographies of the ones I can find anything on. Maybe some more quote threads.

To Jefferson's detracters, I never said that the man was perfect. Yes he owned slaves,however his slaves were very well treated. At that time many people owned slaves. This should come as no suprise. Was it right, of coarse it wasn't.

Why go on about it? It's done and 200 years ago. Get over it. Did Jefferson do some bad things? Sure, Now tell me who hasn't. If you can point me to one single person in this world who is perfect in every way, including yourself, then I want to meet them.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
"All men are created equal" Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independence

"All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell, Animal Farm

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

We need a TJ or a Patrick Henry around these days!

They are all around but thanks to the status quo none will ever rise up to a level enough to be recognized.

Back in 2009 when the TEA party was having their rallies I held one locally in south Mississippi and quoted Thomas Jefferson and Patrick Henry and the local media spun my words to make me look like an extremist.

I'm not the best speaker but I was trying to warn them of what is coming.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Every one of these quotes are timeless. A remarkable man.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I wanted to reply to you, because I can see that you sincerely tried to warn folks what is coming. The way people are today, that try as you might, they just don't listen. I myself have tried to warn people about what their lack of vigilance is going to mean.

For many years I was politically active in my area. I contacted representatives only to be ignored. I do have a nice collection of form letters from their staffs though. I tried to talk to the public and tell them that their duty to the Constitution required them to keep these politicians honest and make them keep to the law of the land, only to be branded a radical. Well they are getting what they deserve now. Exactly what I told them was going to happen is happening. Kudos to you for trying. I gave up a while ago. I guess Jefferson would be ashamed of me, but today I look out for myself and friends (I have no family) and leave the rest on their own. You are a good person for trying. I'm afraid that you will be disappointed in the results.

I believe that some one once said that people get the government that they deserve. I agree with Jefferson that big centralized government is nothing but trouble. It's striking to me that his quotes show that this kind of government can lead to what we have going on here today. Trurhfully that is the whole reason that I posted this thread. He was visionary.
In that he completely understood where big government would lead.
Please check my signature there is a quote there that is very pertinate.
edit on 2/13/2012 by lonegurkha because: Edit to add

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Such a good compilation of quotes.

I wish we had people like him around now, a bunch of them. Ron Paul is the closest we have. But according to the FBI people who think like him are the next threat in America.

I did not see the post by SWCCFAN. Much respect man:

edit on 13-2-2012 by WhereAreTheGoodguys because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2012 by WhereAreTheGoodguys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Exactly what I'm saying! 15 of our first 16 presidents spoke of the same things, liberty, truth, and the power of the people to fix our problems. WAKE UP AMERICA!! he power is ours, they only have power because we sit back and let them have it. My favorite TJ quote :
"The tree of liberty must, from time to time, be watered with the blood of patriots"

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matt1951
Jefferson was a 100% hypocrite and phony. Read "Burr" by Vidal. Patrick Henry had total contempt for Jefferson when Jefferson ran away from the British instead of defending Virginia. Jefferson invented the dumbwaiter because he was so embarrassed when visitors asked why he owned slaves. Sally Hemings.
Jefferson was highly unpopular after his second term. Due to his total incompetence and idiocy.

Slavery was the peculiar institution, it was fine to philosophize about it being bad as long as you did not have to give up your own precious cargo.

Unfortunately he also disagreed with Hamilton about the National Bank concept (America sorely needs one now.)

edit on Thu Apr 26 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: edit per poster request

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkScheppy

Jefferson hated England and loved France. Napoleon snookered Jefferson. The French sold the Louisiana Territory to Jefferson for cash, but all the while Napoleon was planning to reconquer North America. The stunning defeat of the French Navy at Trafalgar in 1805 ended the possibility of French conquest of North America. Which made Jefferson still look good. However, once he learned of Napoleon's plans to conquer North America, Jefferson became terrified of the French. So he ordered a trade embargo against France and against England in his second term, which led to a Great Depression. Which is why he was so unpopular.
When Jefferson was in France, he was an ardent supporter of the French Revolution. Where the French cut off the heads of some of the world's greatest scientists. Which Jefferson was cool with. Which led to Napoleon, which led to Jefferson pissing in his pants.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Come now don't people know that the founders were a bunch of rich bigot white guys who didn't know anything.

They were the slim of humanity what did they know.

WoW Hate much??
He was a founding father of our country... and he seen alot way back then about what this country would face and warned us..... did we listen..Sadly No

edit on 23-4-2012 by jakedog76 because: mistake

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jakedog76

Nah read some older threads and that post will make sense liberal contempt for them.

it was sarcasm

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Great thread & I too hold Mr. Jefferson in very high regard. That earth quake the east coast had a while back. I allways tell folks, that was just the founding fathers rolling over in their graves because of what has become of their Republic. If he was here today, surely he would be a marked man. It's sad that in this day & time we can't have folks like TJ becoming our leaders. They are the ones like Ron Paul, and we all see how he was dealt with.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

I agree, it's truely sad when great men run from government,because of the corruption.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

TJ didn't sign the constitution. Perhaps the above quote explains his opposition to it.

colonialhall.com...

Jefferson wasn't as strenuous in his opposition to centralized government as, say, Patrick Henry, but he clearly saw the writing on the wall.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Thomas Jefferson was just as shady and stupid as todays politicians. The man talks about liberty and freedom and fighting for it but yet he owned hundreds of slaves and was opposed to freeing them out of fear of slave uprisings, Yep, sounds like a man of liberty and freedom to me.
But I do agree he does have some words of wisdom, they are empty words though that mean nothing coming from his mouth.
edit on 10/6/2012 by Uniceft17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Quote source

But I deplore them as I should have done had they fallen in battle. It was necessary to use the arm of the people, a machine not quite so blind as balls and bombs, but blind to a certain degree. A few of their cordial friends met at their hands, the fate of enemies. But time and truth will rescue and embalm their memories, while their posterity will be enjoying that very liberty for which they would never have hesitated to offer up their lives. The liberty of the whole earth was depending on the issue of the contest, and was ever such a prize won with so little innocent blood? My own affections have been deeply wounded by some of the martyrs to this cause, but rather than it should have failed, I would have seen half the earth desolated.

I think Jefferson had lost himself in the delusion that what happened in North America was some great and beautiful "work". Sad fact is that it was a work of using a genocidal policy of eradicating one race in-order to take their land by the other. Slavery was the icing on the cake. No different from what happened in French Revolution in the case of Nantes Drownings. He then had the loft idea of using this model in other countries. Well it was used, with equally ugly results in the Russian Revolution. Now the turn has come for the USA.

Perhaps he simply was naive ?

I would have seen half the earth desolated.

What !!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join