It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found? Queen of Sheba's gold mine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

A British excavation has struck archaeological gold with a discovery that may solve the mystery of where the Queen of Sheba derived her fabled treasures

Queen of Sheba

An initial clue lay in a 20ft stone stele (or slab) carved with a sun and crescent moon, the "calling card of the land of Sheba", Schofield said. "I crawled beneath the stone – wary of a 9ft cobra I was warned lives here – and came face to face with an inscription in Sabaean, the language that the Queen of Sheba would have spoken."

On a mound nearby she found parts of columns and finely carved stone channels from a buried temple that appears to be dedicated to the moon god, the main deity of Sheba, an 8th century BC civilisation that lasted 1,000 years. It revealed a victory in a battle nearby, where Schofield excavated ancient bones.

Summary about the Queen of Sheba

According to the Hebrew Bible, the unnamed queen of the land of Sheba heard of the great wisdom of King Solomon of Israel and journeyed there with gifts of spices, gold, precious stones, and beautiful wood and to test him with questions, as recorded in First Kings 10:1-13 (largely copied in 2 Chronicles 9:1–12).

It should be interesting to see what the future expedition uncovers. As with most journalist's posts on archaeological subject - one wonders what is real and what is fashioned to make the story more interesting.
edit on 12/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

This is interesting, thanks!

It's also interesting that this would be found in Ethiopia, it was always my belief that Queen Sheba's kingdom was Yemen (where the Temple of the Sun is located). Although Ethiopia is quite near Yemen (just across the Red Sea from Yemen). I am now wondering the extent of her kingdom.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Nice, thanks for the post. Really looking forward to hear more about this one.

cheers!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Great find! I look forward to any developments.

Hanslune, I find that of all the posts I read, yours are always my favorite.

S&F!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jroberts227

Great find! I look forward to any developments.

Hanslune, I find that of all the posts I read, yours are always my favorite.

S&F!

Thanks

It would seem this gold mine if confirmed may have been run for the Queen/kingdom or that this part of Africa was part of that kingdom which was known to have territory on both sides of the Red sea.
edit on 13/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join