It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazon Gold Rush: Much Worse Than You Think!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The Devastating Costs of the Amazon Gold Rush

The destruction is more absolute than that caused by ranching or logging, which accounts, at least for now, for vastly more rainforest loss. Not only are gold miners burning the forest, they are stripping away the surface of the earth, perhaps 50 feet down. At the same time, miners are contaminating rivers and streams, as mercury, used in separating gold, leaches into the watershed. Ultimately, the potent toxin, taken up by fish, enters the food chain.

At first light, workers hefting huge Stihl chain saws roar into action, cutting down trees that may be 1,200 years old. Red macaws and brilliant-feathered toucans take off, heading deeper into the rainforest. The chain saw crews also set fires, making way for more pits.

This gaping cavity is one of thousands being gouged today in the state of Madre de Dios at the base of the Andes—a region that is among the most biodiverse and, until recently, pristine environments in the world. All told, the Amazon River basin holds perhaps a quarter of the world’s terrestrial species; its trees are the engine of perhaps 15 percent of photosynthesis occurring on landmasses; and countless species, including plants and insects, have yet to be identified.

The most recent data show that the rate of deforestation has increased sixfold from 2003 to 2009.

Lovely.

Another consequence of the global economic mess.

*sigh*

I guess in the end, this demonstrates we will likely not overcome our tendency to destroy what is required for our survivability.

Oh, don't get me wrong... Life will continue...just with a whole lot fewer of us (if any) to witness the 'new' normal.

:shk:

edit on 12-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

So horrifically sad and so stupid.... all for a little shiny metal that men have declared is valuable.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Between coc aine plantations chewing up massive quantities of land, illegal gold mining and logging it's a wonder that the Amazon is still thriving as well as it is.

We truly are a pathetic species. We crave life and are afraid of death yet we facilitate our extinction by destroying the very land we depend on. We all want a slice of paradise - by ruining the other side of the fence.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
They call the Amazon the lungs of the earth, that makes this mining look like a giant cancer tumor.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
People never look forward and realize their actions Now have serious effects 10 years down the road. As long as getting rich is more important than saving the environment, this is what you'll see. I'm not a "tree hugger", I know we need to use natural resources. But when these companies and individuals literally rape the land, it takes decades for it to recover, if it ever does. But, hey there's gold in them thar hills!! That's a good enough excuse. Right?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where there is no easy fix. It's all about the economics...and it's very likely to get much worse.

Eventually, 'the system' will correct itself...and I'm afraid the cost will be devastating.

If you look at all great human societies...this story has repeated itself over and over again...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
thanks for posting this and bringing it to attention. such a sad picture greed has created.

this is the same thing the people on Easter Island did and they sealed their coffin by cutting down the last tree so no more boats could be made to leave the Island...

we cant leave earth its the only place we have oxygen... and those trees you're cutting down not allowing to grow back, they are an important part to breathing.

but you morons go about hoarding your Useless metal.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Cyanobacteria generate far more oxygen than the Amazon rain forest could ever hope to produce.

edit on 12-2-2012 by antirepressant because: spelling error

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by antirepressant

I think you can agree that we should not be able to see the Cyanobacteria for the trees of the Rain Forest

Culture and life of the planetary Eco System does not grow in a Cyanobacterium, a Cyanobacterium does grow among the Eco System of the planet
edit on 12-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This outrage is worse than war!

Actually, it is war. war on a defenseless (for the time being) planet.

Mother Nature won't like this....

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
all this destruction in this world is always done for money

we need to get rid of money,

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
IMHO, water, is the most precious element on this earth! Without it, we die. I have never understood mans quest for gold? Sure, it is worth a lot of money, but if there was no water, gold would be a moot point. I guess my value system is different than other people. They talk about "terrorists" in this world, these people are the "real" terrorists.
Raping the earth for profit!!!???

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
And Eddie, I missed you more than all the others. This Song Is For You, My Brother...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
What a tragedy.

Oh, buy gold, the reserve currency.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

The Devastating Costs of the Amazon Gold Rush

The destruction is more absolute than that caused by ranching or logging, which accounts, at least for now, for vastly more rainforest loss. Not only are gold miners burning the forest, they are stripping away the surface of the earth, perhaps 50 feet down. At the same time, miners are contaminating rivers and streams, as mercury, used in separating gold, leaches into the watershed. Ultimately, the potent toxin, taken up by fish, enters the food chain.

At first light, workers hefting huge Stihl chain saws roar into action, cutting down trees that may be 1,200 years old. Red macaws and brilliant-feathered toucans take off, heading deeper into the rainforest. The chain saw crews also set fires, making way for more pits.

This gaping cavity is one of thousands being gouged today in the state of Madre de Dios at the base of the Andes—a region that is among the most biodiverse and, until recently, pristine environments in the world. All told, the Amazon River basin holds perhaps a quarter of the world’s terrestrial species; its trees are the engine of perhaps 15 percent of photosynthesis occurring on landmasses; and countless species, including plants and insects, have yet to be identified.

The most recent data show that the rate of deforestation has increased sixfold from 2003 to 2009.

Lovely.

Another consequence of the global economic mess.

*sigh*

I guess in the end, this demonstrates we will likely not overcome our tendency to destroy what is required for our survivability.

Oh, don't get me wrong... Life will continue...just with a whole lot fewer of us (if any) to witness the 'new' normal.

:shk:

So sad. How did we get here? Why is it so clear for some to see and virtually invisible to most? I'm afraid there is no turning back, and as a species as a whole we deserve what is inevitably coming to us.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

There is so much wrong. Where do we start? How do we fix it?

....I'd say pull the plug, but it's a Medusa-octopus.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
How did we get here?

Read the book "Confessions of an economic hitman" by John Perkins, and he explains thoroughly how things like this happen. And who is responsible. And for what means
. Its his story, he told it and risked his life in doing so. Its a good read.

Here it is in pdf format, the formatting is kind of weird though, so i suggest buying a copy

PDF

BIG BUSINESS got us here.
THE BANKING CARTEL
The elite ruling class
Whatever you want to call them. Their propaganda works, by controlling what information people get to see, they have them at their whim.
Human greed got us here. Anything in the name of acquiring more resources.
edit on 12/2/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/2/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

I think it was the "Sky People" that gave us our lust for gold...

They came here... mined it... rather made us mine it...
and through habit... we carried over that insane lust for gold...

And I agree with Captain Beyond... Water and Air are the richest and most valuable resources...

Scalping the earth in this manner is just ignorant.

If you are going to mine... do so in a way that it doesn't destroy...

My Father worked in the Coal Industry for years and years...

Strip mines/Open Pit

The companies he worked for always mined strategically and reclaimed the land and spend lots of money replanting trees and restoring things as best as they could...

Don't tell me they cant mine without destroying the rainforest...
I know they can...

But are they gonna try?
No...
sad...

edit on 2/12/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Why are they letting them do this!? This is a disgrace to Mother Nature - they are defiling the land that was entrusted to us!

Now I've heard that the Amazon alone accounts for 75% of the human's oxygen supply (correction: it was actually 20%). If the forest gets completely cut down, it will be the rest of us that will suffer.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Its alot of hard devastating work to get gold

And one reason it will cost alot in manhours

top topics

<<   2 >>

join