It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Dies, Million Cry. Millions Die, No One Cries

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Goes to show just how short sighted some people actually are. These "celebs" help put food on ALOT of people's tables... not just their own. Ever read the credits after a movie??? That's why they are under SO much pressure. There's a LONG list of people and foundations who depend on their success. From the CEOs in a company... all the way down to the starving children of Africa.

edit on 12-2-2012 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The arse kissing celeb culture is out defending itself today I see.

I am sure that Whitney kept a lot of people in work. Crack dealers everywhere appreciate her efforts.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
The arse kissing celeb culture is out defending itself today I see.

I am sure that Whitney kept a lot of people in work. Crack dealers everywhere appreciate her efforts.

Including COPS... Homeland Security... and the likes who make a living busting their sorry a$$es, eh??? Not to mention all the rehab centers and the psychiatric community. There are just as many people who profited from her failures... as there were from her successes. Try and remember that. Just like I said previously... some people are pretty short sighted.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Feeling attacked for your profession today? Need to defend your life choices? I understand.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Exactly. Like why the f*** I chose to rescue abandoned felines... a 24/7 thankless job that nobody's gonna try and killya over when the cutbacks start taking effect... when I could have become something more beneficial to society that artificially inflates one's ego... like a bonified VISTA volunteer. Ain't that right... arrogant turd???

Scroll down to the bottom of the link and read that future OBIT.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shushu

heh?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I never get sad over celebrities dying. In fact I never really get sad about death in General. Its a fact of life that we can't avoid.

What I even get less sad about is when a rich famous person dies. They lived the good life and parted on relatively good terms usually.

What I find funny about this one dies everybody cries campaign going around is its not to promote helping the people in Poverty stricken nations. No its for people to pat themselves on the back and say "thats sooo true, I'm glad I'm not like that, and I care." Then they go about their day feeling better about themselves.

I guess not everyone is like that and maybe it does raise awareness and voluntaries. However it deludes the message for me, when I see it posted on facebook and seeing the big old pat fest.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Not into mawkish grieving over celebrities I never knew, but I this thread title is ridiculous- I am pretty sure most of those "millions" who die have people who loved them so, the thread should have read ".......millions die, erm, millions cry"

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Celebrities will always get a tribute when they die. What's a shame is the million of people who are not celebrities that lead an exemplary life and are just given a 4x5 inch obituary in their local newspaper.

These celebrities are given a gift from their creator and then use their popularity and riches to corrupt their body and soul. Whitney Houston had an incredible voice, but unfortunately her death from drug and alcohol abuse wasn't really a surprise.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

OP-If you're gonna steal content from Mark Dice, at least give him credit for it!

Line 2

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If it makes you feel any better i did not know she was dead.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Pretty much the same thing happened when Amy Winehouse died around the same time as the Norway bombs and massacre.

Everyone was all "OMG AMY WINEHOUSE DIED" and the news of Norway got pushed to the back of the pile.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

A movie star dies, a icon say like Michael Jackson or Diana Spencer.......and millions cry.

As I keyboard this every 30 seconds, another person dies from lack of food and or clean fresh water.

Above picture taken by Kevin Carter who committed suicide 30 days after taking the above photograph

Kevin Carter

Johannesburg - Kevin Carter, the South African photographer whose image of a starving Sudanese toddler stalked by a vulture won him a Pulitzer Prize this year, was found dead on Wednesday night, apparently a suicide, police said yesterday. He was 33. The police said Mr Carter's body and several letters to friends and family were discovered in his pick-up truck, parked in a Johannesburg suburb. An inquest showed that he had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr Carter started as a sports photographer in 1983 but soon moved to the front lines of South African political strife, recording images of repression, anti-apartheid protest and fratricidal violence. A few davs after winning his Pulitzer Prize in April, Mr Carter was nearby when one of his closest friends and professional companions, Ken Oosterbroek, was shot dead photographing a gun battle in Tokoza township.

Friends said Mr Carter was a man of tumultuous emotions which brought passion to his work but also drove him to extremes of elation and depression. Last year, saying he needed a break from South Africa's turmoil, he paid his own way to the southern Sudan to photograph a civil war and famine that he felt the world was overlooking.

His picture of an emaciated girl collapsing on the way to a feeding centre, as a plump vulture lurked in the background, was published first in The New York Times and The Mail & Guardian, a Johannesburg weekly. The reaction to the picture was so strong that The New York Times published an unusual editor's note on the fate of the girl. Mr Carter said she resumed her trek to the feeding centre. He chased away the vulture.

Source: flatrock.org.nz...

When asked why Mr. Carter didn't help this little girl, he replied, she wasn't the only one, there were thousands upon thousands, it was a never ending parade of human misery, "straight out of hell".

Every single day 27,000 fellow human beings die from lack of food/water, while some hoard so much wealth they couldn't spend it in 1,000 lifetimes.

And nobody cares or sees the injustice of it all.

I've done a few threads and many people say, so what, the rich deserve to be rich, it's alright that 1% have most of the money and 99% don't.

You have this

Warning following two videos are not pleasant. They show our fellow human beings starving

And you have this.

Following videos show people that are at the opposite spectrum of those in the videos above

But most people simply don't care................they don't see the greedy injustice of it all.

To most, this is okay and the way the world should work.

What America alone has spent on The War in Iraq could have fed, clothe, housed every single person on the face of the planet. It also could have had money left over for a comprehensive birth control program for countries that suffered famine.

As well as if more people ate just a little less meat, (it takes a lot of grain to raise just one cow) we could feed the world.

Again, I keep saying, read three, just three books by Ervin Lazlo:

*** The Systems View of the World
*** The Chaos Point The World At The Cross Roads (forward by Sir Arthur C.Clarke)
*** Chaos Point 2012 And Beyond Our Choices Between Global Disaster and a Sustainable Planet

Look it up: The State of Texas is so large you could fit every single man, woman and child in it.

The video below sums it all up................read the stats and I am not going to revisit this thread and read all the "I don't care", "The way things are, are fine" etc............nope, something with the way we are running our planet is drastically wrong and it's time to wake up, grow up and begin to care, truly care for each other.

Description of last video:

Rich people getting richer and poor people poorer. People are starving to death but nobody cares.
Help to change this world of Evil full with greed and hypocrisy Do anything to help!

Who will weep for the millions of orphans in Iraq, the starving people of Africa (one every 30 seconds - mostly children).

They have no access to food or water let alone birth control. Many women in Africa are raped..........that's another subject you don't want to research if you want to keep your sanity.

We need to start caring about everyone.
edit on 12-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I didn't 'care' when I saw it on all the front pages. That's not to say I don't value life; but I know virtually nothing about her, other than her fame. Apart from my loved ones, I feel sadness when somebody like Terrence McKenna or George Carlin passes; because they were anti-establishment free thinkers. These are the type of people who will lead us towards a better world. They leave a legacy for others to follow & emulate.

I also feel sorrow for the many that die under the oppressive regimes, the scourge of planet Earth. The wars, the genocides, the utter disregard for life by the psychopathic dictators --- these things concern me. Sadly most Americans don't think much of it, & war is like a game to them. Sending off other Americans to die for these religious pretext & financial ulterior motives... the military industrial complex must come to a close.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Really?

I see people, not only crying, but trying to help some of those millions.

As an example...

At the store where I work, we recently leased a bit of space for an automated bread baking machine who's owner is using much of the profit to dig wells in Mozambique, Africa. It has, in the three days it's been open, paid for three wells...that's one well a day. This little company is not only crying, but it's doing something about it.

The owner, whom I spoke with just yesterday, told me that 50% of the profit is going to this project, and he plans to open at least four more of these little shops in carefully selected locations in Eastern Washington over the next couple of years.

...and it's darned good bread, too.

So tell me again that no one cares, or tries to help. There are many others just like this gentleman, and he truly is a gentleman, who cried, then dried his eyes and helped.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If any of you watch just one of the various films I put up please watch the very last one called, "Rich people vs Poor people in an Evil world of unjustice"

And if everyone gave just a few bucks as well as stopped all this war and hate we could have a paradise on Earth.

Do I practice what I preach.

Yes - I'm not going to tell you the various charities I donate my time and money too.

But honestly, it feels so much better to give than to receive.

Peace and safe journey to all.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I feel that it all about scale. Humans can only comprehend so much in terms of size. For example when I lived in London even though there were 10 million people in London I lived in a 1 mile radius rather like a village and got to connect to a few people within that radius. I dont comprehend much in terms of over say £20,000 in physical money.

It is the same with the Universe. After watching the following video I felt that I really don`t know much about size at all.

And so to Whitney Houston compared to the death of millions of people. I can relate to the singer because I listened to her records in my early life, but I cannot relate to huge numbers of people dying due to starvation. I think it is just a human comprehension/connectivity problem. The media and my religious upbringing have trained me to feel guilty about this.
However if I dwell on the thousands dying every day then my daily life will be coloured by this fact. I would feel permanantly sad. Perhaps limited connectivity protects humans from overloading their capabilities.

On another tack if I buy a pet monkey I really relate to him. If I buy two more I sort of relate to them, but if I proceed to buy 50 monkeys I cannot relate to all of them. It may be a size thing?
edit on 12-2-2012 by dr treg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Why the sour grapes over someone dying? Of course millions of people are reacting to it, she was a celebrity known by many millions of people around the world. Random disadvantaged starving people in a third-world country are not personally known by millions of people around the world, thus when they die it is not spammed all over the headlines. Not saying this is right or wrong, just the way the world works - no reason to get mad about it, a fellow human died for Pete's sake.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I recall the picture of the little girl and many years later I rad an article. I can dig it out but would take time - but my memory of the photographer is that he was lauded and won awards for the photograph of the little girl that was very near to death when he snapped his photo - however - he lived the high life and suddenly got a pang of conscience.

The version of what happened - and I have read it more than once - is that he continued on his journey - this is the first time I have seen a reference about him chasing the vulture away. The version I have read about the photographer and is actions - more than once - he took his photograph and when he returned home people asked him about the little girl - did he help her - did she survive - what did he do to help her....

The fact is he did nothing - he told friends that he was there to take photographs and to earn a living. He did not share his water with her, he did not pick her up and carry her to the nearest aid centre - he took his photograph and thought only of himself.

This is the version I have believed because friends also attributed his conscience - or rather lack of conscience - for his suicide. He committed suicide because as he told the truth of his actions - the reaction from his friends was of disdain - particularly when he attended a lavish dinner to accept a much sought media photographic award. He could not stand being in the limelight when he was pressured to answer questions about the little girl - the truth is he took a photograph and lived high on the accolades when he did not have the decency to share his water with her or carry her to a place where - at the very least - she could have died with dignity. Mother Teresa always stated - THE POOR MUST KNOW WE LOVED THEM.

Unfortunately - I think most of the population of the world is poor in Spirit - that is why they ignore the masses who live in abject poverty and suffer needlessly while others wallow in their wealth oblivious to the lack of Spiritual wealth in their lives.

Great to see a thread that challenges the senses and conscience of Above Top Secret members - and the replies do not surprise me in the least - I feel sorry for people who click onto this thread and don't get it or at least cannot get past the fact that it is not a personal attack on them - merely a Spiritual lesson that shows - by the reaction of the viewer - whether they see the reality or not. So many people are asleep - but not for much longer.

Much Peace...to all the People who die needlessly and without dignity...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Oh for god sake. Grow up.

Do YOU cry for every single person that dies? No? So why put yourself in the "I cried over one person" category? Stupidity at its finest.

I didn't cry over Whitney Houston. I was out with friends the night she passed away.
I didn't cry over 100 thousand people who died because I didn't know them.

Just like you didn't.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join