It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Dies, Million Cry. Millions Die, No One Cries

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I do agree with that. Sometimes turning away is self-preservation. It's not pretty but it's true.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Some people give more value to the world and therefore are worth and loved more. I don't understand threads like this. Whitney and Steve both gave a lot of value to to the world and affected millions of lives. Why wouldn't we care more about them? What is so wrong about that?

It reminds me of an older thread where someone said that he would rather save his beloved dog than a dozen unknown people. Oh wait, that was me.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

No one stated that Fox news was the source (alone). No one (certainly not me) is suggesting that we should consume all of the horror all of the time. Maybe the suggestion is that we could pay a little less attention to this crap and use that 'free time' to raise awareness in other ways. The MSM has got the masses by the B@%%s and that's no secret. Alternative news sources are a great place to start. Raise awareness my friend...that's it. There are plenty of people who perform tasks in their day to day routine that we can't comprehend. Tough jobs that someone has to do. Funeral directors, doctors, EMT's and the like face these things daily without deteriorating into an abyss of bad feelings. Sure, they feel some of it but the real "burn" is soothed by the knowledge that they are helping.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
To save a starving child.. or a drug addicted singer.. or the world, one must first detach from all emotion and realize that there is no cure outside of ourselves. Suffering exists as a natural state and cannot be arrested by an outside force.
edit on 12-2-2012 by broahes because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2012 by broahes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by strato

The special people argument.

Last time I read it was by Barbara Amiel, making the case that a few shoddy youngsters being sodomized by brilliant minds like Polansky is a small price to pay for their special genius.

Flame Throwers - so under used.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
Some people give more value to the world and therefore are worth and loved more. I don't understand threads like this. Whitney and Steve both gave a lot of value to to the world and affected millions of lives. Why wouldn't we care more about them? What is so wrong about that?

It reminds me of an older thread where someone said that he would rather save his beloved dog than a dozen unknown people. Oh wait, that was me.

Your choice, be it as it may, was the whole point of this thread.

Too many people feel as you do (please don't take offence).

Why would the live of your dog be more precious than any other life? It is not logical. It is saddening. It is a problem.

Is it because we feel that we don't have time to have sympathy or at the very least empathy for others? That we have so much invested emotional interest in the beings close to us?

to each their own, but IMO, your perspective (sorry to say) sucks

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

People have forgotten what it is to be Human. Our senses are dead..

We are becoming robots.....And Robots are becoming Human.
Thnx

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato

Would you save yourself above your beloved dog?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Whitney Houston did more for more people than a million of these "starvin Marvin's" combined.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

I would only save my enemies like my neighbours who have had me on a gang stalking list for 8 years.

Quite simply because I don't think they deserve the privledge of dying. I want them to hang round long enough for someone to do the same to them. The last place I want them to go is to the other side.

Everybody has different perceptions depending on their life experiences.

I think it's fine that someone wold want to save their dog over a human IF that dog has more value to them than a person, who are we to judge ?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
There is 7 billion of us, and so that is 56 million deaths per year, I can see that the OP cries a lot....

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

As she should. That's the point.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom
reply to post by Glargod

People have forgotten what it is to be Human. Our senses are dead..

We are becoming robots.....And Robots are becoming Human.
Thnx

Really?

You think there was more compassion back in the 15th century, or even earlier? There is more compassion today and world awareness than there ever was.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Yeah, dont let this and the fact that theres more things than ever to be "interested in" distract you from the real view that people DO care, whitney has only died once and will be forgottern. starving people who need help is always with us and therefore not on the news everyday.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

EDIT: my first double post!!! Starting to feel like one of the guys now

edit on 12-2-2012 by Biigs because: double post

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Let me be the first to say that life is a struggle.........and it shure is not fair.

Why should I worry about someone 7,000 miles away from me on another continent, when I can barely afford to keep my power on and my own children fed and clothed........

Don't get me wrong, I give to various organizations when I can....................

But LJ01 is personally tired of all of the "STARVING CHILDREN" commercials and pics and such..............

Yes life sucks.................

If I have to find my own way out of the gutter,,,,,,,,,,,well whats their excuse.......

It is not my fault they live in a sand fly, no food, no water, no roof, or whatever of a poor nation........................

Why do those people sit and take it............Tell them to rise up against their oppressors...........because it shure is not me that is oppressing them........

I will be expecting all of the "peace and lover's" to attack me for my opinion on the matter......

That is ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I stress out enough on my situation on this rock..............I do not need "however million" starving africans to worry about..............................If and when I can afford to make a donation, maybe I will, but until then, I will keep on keeping on........

world peace = pipe dream

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

Yeah... I've always heard when you finally lose your voice after it cracks under the strain... that you're worth far more dead than alive. Screw the ring... now you can feed an entire nation. Sounds like a motive to me.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by strato

I know many people that give value to the world. The people in my town that help their neighbors when disaster strikes. The people who give their time to feed the poor and hungry. Those people give value to the world but they are not famous and because of that, because they aren't celebrities trapped in the limelight, people like Steve Jobs and Whitney Houston deserve more?

What did Whitney Houston do exactly? She sang. She entertained. I'm sure she brought a smile to many people's faces many times over, but in the thick of reality what made her any better than a clown working minimum wage at a child's birthday party. Fame. BS.

But the life of someone close may be different, but that sad part is that the majority of people would put a much higher value on the life of a star crazed drug addict than some of their own friends and family. They would place more value on an "idol" of theirs than 10 million random people in the event of a death. That is just sad because people for some reason are unable to realize that life lost, no matter what relation it is to you, is still life lost. There is nothing that makes it more glorified or less terrible.

The problem is priorities as I always say. The solution is ignorance. If people were to show compassion for the way the world is today, for the issues that we have created and wonton accepted as the norm, then we would be capable of fixing those issues. Problem is, that would be hard. People would much rather take the lazy path of ignorance. They would much rather forget those suffering far worse in other countries and instead pity themselves. They would much rather forget how they chicken is processed and eat the McNuggets anyway. They would much rather cry over a dead singer and ignore the fact that today, innocent people are being killed while you simply shut up and pretend like this one person is so much more important.

Ignorance is astounding, but as one poster said. If the people were to actually comprehend the amount of terror, death, and intolerance is in the world today - it would consume them from the inside for the rest of their lives. It is just much easier to ignore and forget.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by Biigs
Whats your point exactly?

2nd

I believe he was trying to say the same thing Stalin supposedly said:

One death is a tragedy. A million is a statistic.

Its still an cold comment. But yes the majority prefers to look at it this way. If we didn't the world was already heaven on earth.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Yeah you might have a point but its a generalisation, and there are definitely people who DO cry at the millions who die. Not all of humanity is rotten.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join