It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most abused word in the English language?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by andreoutlaw

Originally posted by Slavich
reply to post by theBigToe

Do you think consumerism and obsession with material wealth is a good thing?
Do you think a system set up for rich people to benefit and poor people to suffer is a good thing?

It is not so much that you are brainwashed or sheep. It is that you have no soul and the ability to see things from any other point of view then your own.

lol. This.

So you would rather live under Sharia or a Communist system of government? Im confused. I see problems with my government too, but I dont want to overthrow my government for it.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Yes, 9/11 was obviously done by Arab hijackers who hate our freedom. It is not as well known that the Indian genocide was also committed by Arab hijackers.
edit on 12-2-2012 by andreoutlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Here in the US, the -corporate- media is trying to "brainwash" us 24/7 with their "propaganda". You cannot leave any 'news' broadcast on -any- channel, without.......hearing about the "rebels" within the current country we and NATO are destroying, annnnnd, hearing about how Santorum and Romney are picking up more straw pol votes and so forth. While I say, "But what about Ron Paul?"

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. It is brainwashing and propaganda. It IS.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBigToe

Do you think a system set up for rich people to benefit and poor people to suffer is a good thing?

It is not so much that you are brainwashed or sheep. It is that you have no soul and the ability to see things from any other point of view then your own.

lol. This.

So you would rather live under Sharia or a Communist system of government? Im confused. I see problems with my government too, but I dont want to overthrow my government for it.

No, I'm against the concept of government. It is obviously just a stupid idea. People lived for however many millions of years without it, and did fine. Why do we need it now, all of the sudden?

Do you like working?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

The most abused word in the English language?

"need"

edit on 12-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

Yeah. But Ron Paul is obviously also brainwashing and propaganda, just on a different level.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

lol. This.

No, I'm against the concept of government. It is obviously just a stupid idea. People lived for however many millions of years without it, and did fine. Why do we need it now, all of the sudden?

Do you like working?

Well, you can work a five to nine job mopping up the store or you can hunt for your food in the freezing snow with no heat, and no air conditioning in the winter. Get what I am saying?

No society has ever thrived under a state of Anarchy. Governments are necessary, and people have never lived without one (except when we were living in caves, and even then there was a social system).

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

"need"
edit on 12-2-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

Yeah that's a good one too.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
Here in the US, the -corporate- media is trying to "brainwash" us 24/7 with their "propaganda". You cannot leave any 'news' broadcast on -any- channel, without.......hearing about the "rebels" within the current country we and NATO are destroying, annnnnd, hearing about how Santorum and Romney are picking up more straw pol votes and so forth. While I say, "But what about Ron Paul?"

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. It is brainwashing and propaganda. It IS.

And people like you give me the impression you are just going along with whatever popular idea the mainstream is holding.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Anyways, everybody in here is clearly very anti-American so take it easy folks.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

lol. This.

Do you like working?

Well, you can work a five to nine job mopping up the store or you can hunt for your food in the freezing snow with no heat, and no air conditioning in the winter. Get what I am saying?

No society has ever thrived under a state of Anarchy. Governments are necessary, and people have never lived without one (except when we were living in caves, and even then there was a social system).

It's a myth, man. Propaganda created by governments to defend their existence. I live in the jungle. Governments are not necessary in order to fish or raise chickens in a forest. This is all total nonsense, the whole concept.

Every society used to thrive, and they were indefinitely sustainable. That is just the reality of what happened, historically, before some people in the Middle East invented money and the state. It isn't something that is debatable.

Does modern society strike you as sustainable? I mean, does that seem like a logical evaluation? Would you argue that American society is "thriving"?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Double post.

Check out my youtube channel:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 12-2-2012 by andreoutlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Im a homosexual and an atheist...

and yes, I love my country because it will defend my right to exist. Am I ignorant that we have our problems? No. Everybody does. Our problems are light in comparison to what kind of problems our people could be facing should we live in another country.

I dont want to live anywhere that my life is threatened for my lifestyle, and I definitely dont want to live in a society completely void of laws, where anything goes. Anarchism would never work.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
"Propaganda" is certainly among the most misused words here on ATS. Any statement with which someone disagrees is likely to be dismissed as "propaganda" or "disinformation." Strictly speaking, propaganda is an attempt to persuade an audience to adopt a specific belief or opinion, without the use of discourse that might allow a different opinion to be formed. These attempts may or may not be based on objective evidence, and they frequently appeal to emotion rather than reason. Special interest groups, ranging from nation states to businesses, from political factions to impassioned individuals rely on propaganda to achieve their aims. The surest sign that a statement is intended for propaganda purposes is the unwillingness of the perpetrator to consider engaging in dialogue to determine whether the statement is factual or that an alternative conclusion or course of action is possible.

Perhaps the most frequently abused word among the population in general is the word "natural." Everything that is, is "natural."
edit on 12-2-2012 by DJW001 because: Edit to correct typo

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
This is more than one word, but people use them interchangeably, which kind of irks me:

They're
Their
There

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

to the bigtoe, while i think your intentions are right i think your completely missing the points of your opponents
when people say propaganda and brainwashing, just think of it as socialization
its the process we've all gone through to learn the norms of our society
every society has different norms and uses 'propaganda' as means to different ends

it may not be as bad now in north america as it was in russia or germany during World War two
but it still happens wherever you look
and the fact is the first reply to your post had it correct, maybe they could have said it in a better way
but maybe today isnt that persons day and they felt grumpy
point is the most important thing to do is to look at the world from other peoples perspective
realize not everyone was given the same opportunities as you or were ever as fortunate

it does allow you to think reflexively and learn about yourself from really trying to learn anothers perspective
like the first person to reply said, you might realize your comfy because soo many others are poor
consequences of colonialism and dependency theory if u care to look it up and havnt heard of it
truth is arabs didnt attack america because they hated your freedom
it was because america is intervening across the world and has military bases in saudi
Osama even warned america that was the reason
intervention policies are a complete 180 turn from america's founding isolationist values
many people seem to forget that... maybe its how they've been socialized to believe its america's destiny as the greatest country in the world to take the whole thing over and cause Armageddon

and to do with what you said about iran having nuclear weapons
many of their neighbors have them and look what happened to iraq without them. they just want them as defense and some insurance and recognition. they woudlnt really blow israel off the map they arnt braindead from the consequences of that. they are a poor nation and dont have enough gas after they sell to fuel any plains, they have no air force.
If we survived russia and the cold war, if pakistan and turkey have nukes, if china has them and isreal i doubt Iran would be the end of the world

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

But "anarchism" - that is, stateless societies - were the norm for however many millions of years the human race existed before about 6,000 years ago. So "it would never work" is just obviously factually inaccurate. There's not really anything else I can say about that. It is just obviously wrong and everyone knows it is. There isn't a debate there.

As far as living in the US and this 'greatest ever country' nonsense, I don't live in the US, and never will again, simply because it is so oppressive and generally insane. The whole culture and lifestyle is degrading and antihuman. Why would anyone want that?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The most abused word is "absolutely".

People throw it around and I dare say most do not know how powerful a word it is.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

wow,

you summed everything I think about this up in a neat little post. You rock sir, you rock real hard.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
This is more than one word, but people use them interchangeably, which kind of irks me:

They're
Their
There

Good point. But I think it is a psychic thing. Our subconscious minds can't distinguish things like different spellings of words that sound the same. It isn't like people who do that are doing it on purpose. I think everyone consciously knows the difference between those words. They just aren't thinking about it when they type, and don't bother to proof-read.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join