It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bert the Turtle - Survivalism's mascot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I first saw this a while ago, when a still image from it, was on Wikipedia's page for Survivalism. I used to play a Survival Hunter in World of Warcraft a few years ago, and thought Bert worked well as a mascot for that, as well. Anywayz, here he is.

This cartoon was originally about preparedness in a nuclear attack. Although I think the strategy advocated here would have been largely useless in that scenario, it was probably the earliest mention anywhere (at least to my knowledge) of anything along the lines of what people refer to now as Survivalism.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
My Uncle used to teach middle school classes. I believe he was teaching science when he had a class discussion based on the question, "If human beings went extinct what animal would rise up and take their place." I think they used the nuclear war scenario for man's extinction. The logic of the discussion somehow ended up concluding that the turtle would take mankind's place. So they came up with the slogan, "Turtle Power". This was in the 1970's, well before the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Anyway, I think my Uncle would approve wholeheartedly for Bert the Turtle as the survivalist mascot. Personally I'd pick the cockroach or rat.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Oh Lord, I remember this one! Back in high school, our Drama class had this and a few other moldy oldies shown as examples of PSA'a Gone Wrong. Funny stuff - now I want a Bert the Turtle shirt - anyone out there know if they exist? And if so, where I could possibly get one?

join