It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "website description" when linked eliminating many potential visitors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I LOVE ATS and visit several times a day, and have visited daily for almost 3 years*. I link it often on Facebook and share it with people I know.

Currently, when linked, ATS's website description comes up as below:

With due respect to the nature of ATS and in recognition that that's an accurate description, I really think that it alienates people in search of mainstream normalness but who could really benefit from ATS news. So many very, very valuable discussions happen on ATS concerning politics, new laws, current events that I truly believe we could pick up many more visitors by word of mouth if those above taglines were included in the website description.

Of course this is a question for the owners, just wondering if you've asked yourself lately if it's the best way to market the site to potential viewers who aren't aware of ATS's awesomeness!

* on this and original account

edit on 11-2-2012 by Thermo Klein because: changed picture

edit on 11-2-2012 by Thermo Klein because: changed title

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

DO NOT remove staff actions!

edit on February 12th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by three1zero
how anyone could use ats as a news source baffles me
its a joke site full of nutjobs
once you realise that its actually quiet entertaining

Cheers for your considerable input - but many members are here from all over the world, providing access to otherwise censored media, breaking news and I've lost count of the times I've seen something on here only for it to appear on the news two or three days/hours later.

Sorry but your post is exactly what puts people off this site.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by three1zero

my first reaction was to look how long you've been on this site...

Second thought: Do you think SOPA is in the best interest of the world population? I saw a list of every politician who supported and co-sponsored SOPA and PIPA right here on ATS; you simply don't find truth like that on the mainstream "news".

Take a look around more, and welcome to ATS (a few months back)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by three1zero

I thought the dragon in the sky was fake too

that's why the current description is reasonably accurate, however there is SO MUCH MORE on this site!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
TK, you have made a valid point.
I have referenced ATS as a link on,say a physics forum,only to be told it was a crack pot site.
I totally disagreed with that conclusion,but there was nothing I could do.
In order to maybe rid this stigma,maybe there is some change that could be done.
But,you know,what draws people in and what makes this site what it is ,what it is.
No arguments there.
But there is so much intelligent,fact based info in here that goes largely ignored ,it's mind boggling.
Just gets frustrating to the point to were you want to give up.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I never really gave it a thought before, but I have to agree with the OP, that this site is also a great source for information and news that the mainstream media does not cover that is outside the realm of conspiracy theories and aliens. Like a previous poster, I have also on several occasions come across news stories on here that I did not hear about from the main stream media, all be it in a cleansed and sanitized sound byte collection or slideshow, a few days later.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
yup!

If it's newsworthy you will find it on ATS! It will be on ATS first in many cases and if it's biased you have people on all sides bringing valid points to the matter. I honestly turn to ATS for news more often than I turn to mainstream media.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Just an FYI here...

Those site descriptions are drawn from the metatag inside the html coding of the site.

Add these HTML tags inside < head > in your HTML. The meta title may not be necessary as the title should be pulled from the regular < title > tag:

< meta name="title" content="Name of your page" / >
< meta name="description" content="Page summary" / >

source

Once the website is crawled again, in ATS's case it looks to be crawled very very regularly and the next time someone links to the site, the new metatag will appear.

The same is true for the thumbnail that pops up, ever link to a new site and see a thumbnail of the 'personals' section show up and make it seem like you linking to russian mail order brides?

It’s very likely that the first thumbnail image that shows up won’t be the one you want. The good news is that you can easily add a tag that Facebooks reads to choose this image.

< link rel="image_src" href="http://www.website.com/images/logo.jpg " / >

This all has to be done in the actual coding of the site, so we, as users, can not change it, but if the coders here wish to, or if anyone else wishes to do it for their own sites, there it is.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

interesting, thanks. and that's why I put it on the ATS Board Business and Questions forum.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

I think your right..

ATS has moved on from its origins and is now IMHO a discussion site.

And as the content is member driven it would appear that current events are the major discussion points these days.

I would even go as far to say that the other subjects are now treated as a break from the completely insane world we find ourselves in.

ATS...actually the home of the sane people.

....and one or two idiots.

Cosmic..

top topics

join