Mystery of the Masonic "hunnerts o' times" language of Orphan Annie

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I was watching the Little Orphan Annie movie with my family tonight. As Annie enters Daddy Warbucks house for the first time, I noticed the arch entry way with the two pillars. As she enters the house, the checker board floor was in the entry way. I did a search and found that the creator of the movie was a Freemason. Here is my question for ATS.

What does this quote mean:

'With all his mines an' oil wells in th' orient -- "Daddy's" been out there hunnerts o' times -- but he says one time he travelled to the East, but didn't make a dime, meant more to him than all th'other trips he'll ever make -- I don't get -- do you? "

We get this message from the original cartoon series of Annie. See this LINK. You might also recall the Orphan Annie decoder ring. Notice how words are written in this quote above.

Notice the dog with one eye closed.

The word travelled is not necessarily the same as traveled. This is the definition used in other literary works to mean a "nomadic people of ethnic Irish origin, who maintain a separate language and set of traditions" It can also mean well accustomed to other cultures.

The "hunnerts o' times" appears on many Masonic web pages and even on ATS. Do an ATS search for hunnerts. If you do a search on the internet for this word, you once again find Freemasons discussion topics. There is never an explanation or context to follow. It seems to be a popular way to end their writings.

Another thing I notice: On all the web pages that reference the quote above, they all leave spaces out between words. I have also noticed similar linguistic habits from those who claim to be practicing magic.

I am curious about all of this. What's the secret here with the quote above? Although I am well versed in Masonic symbols and lingo, this one is slightly more interesting.

I am pondering this for one good reason: It reminds me of the Riddle of Humpty Dumpty. See my article on Humpty. Humpty Dumpty Riddle Solved The riddle plagued me until I figured it out.

Maybe the quote is so obvious, I am missing it. Any ideas?

edit on 11-2-2012 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

The dog with one eye may refer to being hoodwinked. Here is the Masonic definition:

"Today, the term has come to mean “to trick” or “to deceive.” But in a Masonic lodge, it’s a very old term used to describe a blindfold. 3 means “cover,” and means “closed eye.” While being led through portions of the three degrees of the Masonic lodge, the candidate is to prevent him from seeing certain features of the room until the
proper time in the ceremony, to focus his attention on the words he is hearing, and to symbolize the search for or knowledge. It does mean he is being tricked or lied to.

So, the dog is saying, focus your attention on the words.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

nationalheritagemuseum.typepad.com...

You have to figure it out , I am sworn on oath not to tell , BUT you can find it

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid

You have to figure it out , I am sworn on oath not to tell , BUT you can find it

I notice that the word hunnert has been used many times on ATS. Does this give away a person's Masonic entanglement? Lazy spelling perhaps.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Hunnert is probably just old folks slang for hundred... hundreds of times...

my guess for the cartoon quote...... either its about the women of the east digging a wealthy american man, something of a sexual nature, thats why the dog is winking and the lady doesnt get it....

or more likely..... the wealthy american,, had a spiritual journey in the far east which was of a value un equatable with money... masonry is pretty much all about wisdom and knowledge of the ages,,, ancient mysteries of the world and becoming a well rounded human of the highest degree and calibre...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
'With all his mines an' oil wells in th' orient -- "Daddy's" been out there hunnerts o' times -- but he says one time he travelled to the East, but didn't make a dime, meant more to him than all th'other trips he'll ever make -- I don't get -- do you? "

Taking the words that end in an apostrophe, I can spell the word Thoth. This is Hermes from the Greek tradition. You can't study Freemasonry, as well as most other secret societies, without noticing the Hermetic tradition.

an' -- th' -- o' -- th' Following the last "th'other", the word Thoth also appears. Th'other is also a line from MacBeth, Act 1, Scene 7.

Daddy's is quoted. One is underlined. The dog is winking. One ear is black and the other white. The button on Daddy is gleaming. The button is a dollar sign.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

You may find it interesting to know that all Masonic lodges are oriented west to east, and those that couldn't be built in this fashion are still ornamented in this fashion.

The Master of the lodge will always sit in the East.

The two pillars and the checkered floor are also an allusion to a Masonic lodge floor... The duality of darkness and light.

The line you refer too from the movie is a Masonic reference, but it's a fairly common reference, as you have already found.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Just a poor widows son......a masonic greeting code....
They have some phrases from the tale of Hiram abif which indicate they are masons....ive been told....

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I hated Ovaltine. Give me some sugary nestles with the annoying rabbit on the front.

Only in moderation though.... I may drink myself into a chocolate milk coma.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
I did a search and found that the creator of the movie was a Freemason.
Would you mind telling us who you're talking about then? I'm guessing you mean the 1982 movie Annie, directed by John Huston? I didn't know Huston was a Mason (though he did direct The Man Who Would be King which was about Masons and based on a story by a Rudyard Kipling, a Mason.) Where did you find that Huston himself was a Mason?
edit on 2012.2.11 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Would you mind telling us who you're talking about then? I'm guessing you mean the 1982 movie Annie, directed by John Huston? I didn't know Huston was a Mason (though he did direct The Man Who Would be King which was about Masons and based on a story by a Rudyard Kipling, a Mason.) Where did you find that Huston himself was a Mason?

I was actually referring to Harold Gray, the original creator.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The one time he travelled to the east was the year he served as elected master of his lodge. It's an honor to serve, and not a paid position. So when he became Master of his lodge, he didn't make any money doing so, but his service to the lodge ment more to him than any physical travelling he'd ever do.

Pretty straightforward. The dog is winking at the reader assuming they'll get the Masonic joke that Annie's oblivious to. (Keep in mind when the Annie comics were first published, about 1 in 10 men in the US was a Mason...)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

I was actually referring to Harold Gray, the original creator.
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. You said the creator of the movie, which is different than the creator of the strip. But, as I said, Huston is known for The Man Who Would be King which was based on a story by Rudyard Kipling, who was a Mason, and the lead characters in it are Masons, which is why it wouldn't seem too far a stretch for Huston to be a Mason himself. And Huston directed the Annie movie in the 80s.

(of course, even that isn't specific enough... there were Little Orphan Annie movies in 1918, 1932, and 1938 as well, but I guessed you weren't watching THOSE with your family...)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
HAROLD LINCOLN GRAY, the creator of Little Orphan Annie, was a member of Lombard Lodge (1098 - Illinois). Daddy Warbucks, one of the characters in the carton strip, appears to be a member of the Craft; Little Orphan Annie said this in one of the pictures, "With all his mines an' oil wells in the orient -- Daddy's been out there hunnerts o' times -- but he says one time he travelled to the East, but didn't make a dime, meant more to him than all th' other trips he'll ever make -- I don't get it -- do you?"

Your on track , then OfF track '''''***^^)_^^>
edit on 11-2-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

HAROLD LINCOLN GRAY, the creator of Little Orphan Annie, is a member of Lombard Lodge (1098 - Illinois).
WAS would be more accurate... he's been dead more than 40 years. But yes, he was a charter member of that lodge, according to Wikipedia.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Chicago accents,

2000= "two-tao-zand"

2100="twenny-one hunnert"

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

'''''***^^)_^^>

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

'''''***^^)_^^>
I have no idea what that is.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Then the trail to the answer will be that much longer. Could it be that the page has the answer???????????????

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join