It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Townsville mutiny WW2: Black GIs turned on officers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Townsville mutiny WW2: Black GIs turned on officers

www.theaustralian.com.au

BLACK US troops mutinied in Townsville in 1942 and turned machineguns on their officers, in a secret chapter of the war in the Pacific that has come to light through the papers of the late US president Lyndon B. Johnson.

The scandal was hushed up for nearly 70 years after being described in a report given to and apparently kept by Johnson as "one of the biggest stories of the war which can't be written, shouldn't be written".

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow this is pretty interesting. It also says how 600 African-American GIs seized their base and went on the rampage, trying to kill their white officers.
I think its amazing for how long this has been kept covered up, and without a doubt the largest mutiny in Americas military history. Black US troops were definately treated bad whilst in Australia, but it may surprise you that the mistreatment wasn't by the Australian locals but by the US white officers, so I'm not surprised something like this happened, but something this massive is quite interesting. Admins please put this in its correct topic.

www.theaustralian.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-2-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
One of the biggest stories of the war, huh? And only a couple sentences to show for it? What's up with that?

ETA: Maybe I can't see the rest of the article....I don't see anything about 600 black GIs at that link.

Of course, it says "subscribe to continue reading"
edit on 2-11-12 by r3axion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

I'm not subscribed to it either but if you refresh the page or try clicking on it again, it should bring up the whole article. But yeah, a historian has only just found this out after a 70 year coverup, so they don't know too much about the events just that over 600 black US soldiers mutinied, but what happened after that? Still a lot to be told!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Here's another link with a detailed story -

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Yeah it's definitely still not working for me. I did a little searching and came across this

www.nzherald.co.nz...

just in case anyone else has problems reading about it

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

:O

you just beat me to it...

bastard

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Thanks for that mate, there is a LOT more information in the link you provided than the one I used.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So, not to minimize the damage done or the lives lost. . but I never would have thought "Up to 19 dead" would constitute the biggest mutiny in the history of the US.

19?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

It's more referring to the 600 GIs

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Well we know for sure there were at least 600 mutineers, and I think thats what they're referring to when they say its the biggest mutiny in US military history. Also take into account its been covered up for 70 years.
As for the amount killed, it isn't really known as the historian is just going by war diaries, and there are differing numbers of dead. However, seeming as the siege lasted for about 8 hours we can assume people were killed.

There were other things like this such as the Battle of Brisbane where Americans and Australians fought each other. At the time it was heavily censored, but after the war, the information was revealed. But how come this was kept a secret for 70 years, where even the US president "visited" Townsville for a secret purpose. It must have been a much larger death toll if it were to warrant the US president?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Johnson was only a Congressman at that time. However, this story (and the one article mentions other instances of mutiny by black soldiers over the years) only showcases the horror of racism. You mistreat a bunch of men, fling abuse at them, treat them like animals, set them up with substandard facilities, contain them/cage them in, all in the name of segregation, and add the stress of war on top of it all- and nobody should be surprised there was a backlash!
edit on 11-2-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

"The 96th Engineers, a negro battalion, had a mutiny a few months back and expended 30,000 rounds of machine gun ammo. Luckily no one was hurt but they were after the white officers."

30000 rounds...500 black troops....19 dead

Every single black soldier would've had to have shot over 60 rounds, yet only 19 people died moreover the Blacks were probably issued old WWI guns making it more difficult to squeeze of 30k+ rounds. Seems greatly over exaggerated, but I'm not refuting the claim.
edit on 11-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Yes thats exactly what I thought, for so many bullets fired there seems to be a equally missing death toll. But the 19 supposed dead can't really be confirmed due to the references coming from war diaries, and there were possibly many more killed.
I'm more interested in what happened to the mutineers, did they succeed? What happened to them after?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You know in typical firefight in our current war, assuming no air strike both sides can easily exchange hundreds of rounds of munitions without a single fatality over the course of thirty or so minutes. Not saying noone would be hurt.

This does not necessarily mean everyone has poor accuracy. Far from it. This just is not a video game. People with cover are not going to expose themselves from cover for sh!ts and giggles.

You lay fire down on their position surely, but you also have to layy cover fire to continue moving and keep pushing forward without getting yourself hit. The reciever is also not just going to jump out and decide to catch the rounds with their body. You only live once in real life.

However, this was ww2, weapons were less accurate, battle doctrine was less evolved, and the men rebelling were not exactly trained to be skilled marksman. They were imported soley for labor. AA guns are $hit for accuracy when used as a ground weapon. Hide in a ditch and you can let them fire all day without much worrying. Probably what these rebels did. Just lay down heavy fire while everyone was under cover.

Moral of the story though, STOP BEING RACIST PIGS!!! at least 19 men would have still been alive if a couple of officers had simply not been raised to be ignorant fu(ktards.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Thanks for this article. The writer Greg Ansley did a suitable job in revealing the dirty details.

I'm currently looking at Peter Dunn's www.ozatwar.com...
Apparently Townsville is Peter Dunn's hometown so I can't think of any better source.

His site is pretty complicated but this is the link to some of the LBJ stuff www.ozatwar.com...
LBJ's involvement is classsssic conspiracy stuff.

Whilst in Townsville on 6 June 1942, Lyndon Johnson had dinner with Robert Sherrod, a US Reporter for Time Magazine at the Queens Hotel US Officers Club. Sherrod handed a report to Johnson on a riot at Kelso near Townsville by the Negro soldiers of the 96th Engineers General Services Regiment and asked him to take the report back to the States as the story had been censored in Townsville.

edit on 2/11/2012 by SayonaraJupiter because: ex

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
LBJ a very important player in this whole thing. Why? Because LBJ went on a bombing raid as an observer.

"The Marauders took off from 7 Mile, Port Moresby at 0851 hours. "Heckling Hare", Johnson's aircraft, developed generator problems and was forced to drop its bombs 80 miles short of the target. It returned to base arriving back at Port Moresby at 1008 hours.

Nine days after the raid, Lyndon Johnson was awarded an Amy Silver Star medal, the nation's 3rd highest medal for valour, by General MacArthur's chief of Staff, Major-General R.K. Sutherland for his participation in the above bombing raid."

Since when do observers get silver stars for valour when they didn't even reach the target? When the observer happens to be LBJ, and he is being groomed for a future leadership position in USA Corp. otherwise known as the Military Industrial Complex.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
STOP BEING RACIST PIGS!!!

???

Who on here has said anything, even remotely racist? Your an idiot mate.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Moral of the story though, STOP BEING RACIST PIGS!!! at least 19 men would have still been alive if a couple of officers had simply not been raised to be ignorant fu(ktards.

reply to post by Jace26

Who on here has said anything, even remotely racist?

I think he was referring to the officers involved in the incident. And considering the time, shamefully, many were as apparently this was the reason for the retaliation.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
OZ@War is a very interesting/amazing website, with a wealth of information. Some of the stuff on there is thought provoking, with sources that Japan was going to invade Australia in 3 places, if they pushed through New Guinea, and the "Brisbane Line." Well worth a read.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join