It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little argument I've got going on about veganism...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hiya,

I recently saw Daniel Vitalis, an advocate of eating raw meat to thrive saying that we vegans couldn't answer some of his questions about the diet - so I made this video to answer.

www.youtube.com...

And here he is with one of his videos;

www.youtube.com...

Well I realise it's opening a can of worms inviting other people's opinions because I'm sure most people agree with eating meat - but I thought I'd see what people on here thought because I really believe going vegan improves human health massively and that it's deliberately covered up in the way tobacco's health implications once were.

I don't think Daniel's a bad person, but I feel he hasn't tested the supplements he sells or the diet he advocates and I worry about the vulnerable people who look to him for advice. He on the other hand probably thinks that the vegan diet is dangerous due to the lack of vitamin B12 in it.

In my response to him I talk about why I think, from the research I've done, humans started eating meat, evidence that suggests it's bad for us, and evidence that suggests homo sapiens became cleverer than the other animals whilst they were still frugivorous. And also ways we get B12 on a vegan diet. I'm not a scientist but since there's no increase in risk of a B12 deficiency when you go vegan (since meat eaters actually have exactly the same rate of deficiency as vegans do), I draw my conclusions from observations.

Would appreciate input! xx

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
My observations are that we have teeth like omnivores, our nearest relatives are omnivores, our digestive tract is actually set up more for the meat side of things than the plant side as we lack that little offshoot in our colon that many animals have to digest plants, and people have been eating meat for as a long as we can trace back humans. I think it is a natural thing, the way of life for millions of creatures, and simply one of those things that is morally neutral.

I cannot argue, though, that the rate we consume meat and the types of meat that many of us eat these days is not in line with best nature or best health.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I was vegetarian for a while but now back to omnivore. Some benefits of trying vegan/vegetarian

1. Forces you to try different foods, not burger and chicken everynight
2. Teaches you other things that contain protein besides meat, and shows you dont need as much protein as normally eaten on a meat based diet.
3. Abstaining from eating meat makes it taste better if you ever go back.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The problem is not the meat, is the abuse and the craving a lot of people have for fat.

The simple fact is that we eat meat, we can process it and we can extract what we need from it, if that were not the case the vegans would be right, but is not the case, we can.

I love my vegetables but i love my steak too, and almost raw with blood in it, i dislike and really hate if is not like that.

In my response to him I talk about why I think, from the research I've done, humans started eating meat, evidence that suggests it's bad for us, and evidence that suggests homo sapiens became cleverer than the other animals whilst they were still frugivorous. And also ways we get B12 on a vegan diet. I'm not a scientist but since there's no increase in risk of a B12 deficiency when you go vegan (since meat eaters actually have exactly the same rate of deficiency as vegans do), I draw my conclusions from observations.

Aja, ok, where is the research and what are your credentials?
edit on 11-2-2012 by MonteroReal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There is no one thing for everyone. The idea that we should all eat xxx because it is the right thing is wrong. Diets are a tool. Raw at times is great, too much can work against you, vegan is good too, but there are limits. Each person is different, different blood, different home base, different DNA etc. You'll pay hell going to ask the Eskimo's to switch to soy.

A food zealot is just like a religious zealot.

I will say that the majority of the population of the planet is just happy to have something to eat, the fact that western people, primarily white-middle-somethings, have turned food into a political statement is not only misguided but obscene. The fact that one doesn't eat "innocent" animals to feed themselves and thinks this will curry favor in some spiritual system is lacking true perspective. On this planet, in the 3d realm, everything eats something else to survive - everything.

One should be respectful, choose food based on what it does for you, not on some agenda put forth by another and be open to altering the diet as things change.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I am a firm believer that different people have different dietary needs based on their ancestry. Learn to listen to your body. Some people do better on a vegan or vegetarian diet, if it makes you feel healthier than yo should eat that way. A vegetarian diet leaves me feeling weak and lethargic. I listen to my body close enough to be able to tell what it needs.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kerrymac

Hi there, I have a quick question for you...

Do you indulge in a glass of wine every now and then?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

First of all, kudo's to you for enduring in a vegan diet year round! I am vegan roughly about 40% of the year (due to religious reasons) and find it difficult.

I watched some of your video and think you made a very valid point within the first two minutes. Cultures where meat eating is drastically reduced are typically healthier and longer lived. Traditionally, in the mediterranean, consumption of meat was minimal. However, with the adoption of more western eating habits, there are more health complications. So, I agree with you on that!

Some advantages I see to eating vegan: You are forced to think about what you consume. Because you can't easily go out to eat and find healthy vegan items, you have to plan your meals and eat at home more. You have to think about exactly how you're going to get your protein, vitamins, etcetera.

To whoever mentioned going off a vegan diet because you didn't feel well, I understand. There is a definite adjustment period which can be difficult. However, I have personally found that feeling passes eventually. Sometimes, you may need to evaluate how well balanced your diet is and make an adjustment.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Didn't watch the videos -- but as a vegetarian since childhood, I do not recommend the diet. I believe meat and fish are part of balanced diet and essential for us.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I have not eaten any animal flesh or taken any dairy products for 30 years
It is a matter of choice and I am so grateful for the choice I made.
Once a being dies and departs their body - the signal goes out to break down flesh. And the host parasites that once kept the body in good order take on the way of breaking down the flesh into the way of the soil.
All perfectly natural of course. Yet take in the dead flesh of an animal and you also take in the parasites contained in that flesh - They do not distinguish between your flesh and that of another animal. Generally these are ousted by the body's own defences but not always guaranteed.
Milk and eggs of other beings were designed for that particular being. Milk from a cow for a calf etc and so do not compliment the human body - What other creature drinks Mother's Milk in adulthood. Eggs of another being also have a purpose which is obvious.
We are brought up to accept these practices of eating other beings etc as normal - Yes it is normal but is it natural? Choice as ever is down to the individual
edit on 12-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

edit on 12-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typos

edit on 12-2-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
millions of years of evolution have shown that eating meat is good for you. You will rarely meet a vegan over 50, do you know why? Because people confuse youth with health. Yeah, it is easy to be 20 young,hot,thin and vegan but trust me once you are 40 and you start to look like a cancer patient going through chemo you would quickly change your opinion on being vegan.
Being vegan is not "natural", this is why so many vegans have to take extra supplements. Those that don't have to eat a wide variety of foods to make sure they get the proper nutrition. While people do not like to confront it the fact is a "natural" diet would be VERY simple. Think of how much food naturally grows within a few miles of you, that is a "natural" diet.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Milk and eggs of other beings were designed for that particular being. Milk from a cow for a calf etc and so do not compliment the human body - What other creature drinks Mother's Milk in adulthood. Eggs of another being also have a purpose which is obvious.

www.thenakedscientists.com...
Cats and dogs are often seen taking delight in a serving of milk, though I’d rather not consider the consequences. An excellent find on our forum came from Jackass Penguin who cited the Red Billed Oxpecker, a bird that can perch on the udders of an Impala and drink its milk. Elsewhere, in Isla de Guadalupe, feral cats, seagulls, and sheathbills have been observed stealing the milk directly from the teats of elephant seals. So perhaps milk stealing does happen a little more than we currently know.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

Thanks for link Josh
Is there a bit in the article that mentions about animals milking Humans
I must have mist that bit

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I happen to love meat, just about any meat. I thought about going vegan several years ago. Did a lot of research on protein replacement, nutritional balance etc. I went ahead and took the plunge. I know they say the human head loses so many hairs a day but I don't believe it due to my own lack of evidence supporting the theory. I rarely had to clean my hair brush, once or twice a year maybe and rarely more than a hair or two in the shower. I also used a hair catcher in the tub due to preventing other family members hair from clogging the drain so I know this for fact. And, no hairs on my pillow or in my bed.

After a couple of weeks on the vegan diet supplemented with pinto beans and other legumes for protein replacement, my hair brush was getting full of hair. By the beginning of the fourth week, when I ran my hand through my hair, it was full of loose hairs. Since the vegan diet was the ONLY change in my life, I will state it was the sole cause of my hair loss. No other stresses, changes or anything else. Needless to say, I immediately began eating meat again. It took a month for my hair to finally stop falling out en masse. Anytime someone tells me about how healthy vegan is, I take an extra bite of steak.....just for them! My daughter is vegan and we have an understanding, I don't tell her what to eat and she doesn't tell me what to eat.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Humans are naturally frugivours and Insects was also part of our diet. However Vegans cannot get vitamin B12 from vegatable source including fruits. However there is an exception to this rule and its called Wheatgrass. Wheatgrass is a superfood has a lot of minerals and vitamins in it and also B12. This B12 is derived from the microorganisms that live on the wheatgrass.

top topics

join