It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staff at The Sun tabloid arrested in bribe inquiry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

hosted.ap.org...

LONDON (AP) -- Britain's biggest-selling tabloid newspaper was fighting to contain the damage after five of its employees were arrested Saturday in an inquiry into the alleged payment of bribes to police and other officials, detectives and the newspaper's parent company said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11-2-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Another media outlet owned by Mr. Murdoch has had several of its employees arrested for charges of bribery to officials and police officers. I'm sure we're all aware of the News of the World scandal, well here we go again. I'm waiting to read about Fox involved in similar scandals but this seems to be a UK thang

Nobody is gonna miss the Sun right?

hosted.ap.org...

Related article,
m.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

It's ironic that (according to statements from the editor in the linked article) for a paper so committed to serving its readership with news, they never mention these cases in their own paper.
The Sun is not a newspaper, at best it's toiletpaper.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

What amazes me with all this is what people dont not say. Or at least I do not see

Mr. Murdoch owns the news of the world and the sun. Both have now been seen to be working unethically and unlawfully.

Mr. Murdoch also owns Sky. This includes media, news, PHONES and INTERNET PROVIDER. Two of the areas his businesses have been found to have dirty hands. Why are we not questioning his ownership of these as well.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I wonder if Mr. Murdoch was unaware of these new briberies as well? I'm sure his official comment is that he had no idea so many of his staff, from 2 different outlets, are up to no good. I wonder if he'll be called in again to tell the world he's shocked & humbled?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

He is probably ordering the bugging of phones and hacking of accounts to find out how many more corrupt employees he has.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42
reply to post by Swills

What amazes me with all this is what people dont not say. Or at least I do not see

Mr. Murdoch owns the news of the world and the sun. Both have now been seen to be working unethically and unlawfully.

Mr. Murdoch also owns Sky. This includes media, news, PHONES and INTERNET PROVIDER. Two of the areas his businesses have been found to have dirty hands. Why are we not questioning his ownership of these as well.

As the owner of a business, I have the suspicion that at some point in his 'acquired and ready made' career, he, at some point, had a sign on his desk saying 'the buck stops here'...my guess is that, this sign has been duly removed for fear of self-incrimination, and the wails of 'i had no idea this was going on' can be heard all 'round the world.
The level of...blame shifting beggars belief...but then we are talking of wealth beyond belief...and holding on to it would be a prime directive, at all costs...the end justifies the means?!

Akushla

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

I think he loves being king maker more than he loves money.

The reason this came about could well be our politicians getting even for the expenses fraud and so they tried to make a point to the Murdock types in the press world but being politicians they bodged the job and have shot themselves in the foot as well as Murdock.

All of our politicians ran round him like puppies after a treat. I remember laughing out loud when Ed Miliband announced to camera that he had made it clear he was angry over the phone tapping at a party Murdock was holding.

I dont think Murdock is going to take this attack laying down either and the sharks are going to eat each other if they are not careful. Watch the news for another breaking top politician exposure if my guess is correct.

This tit for tat is not over yet

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42
reply to post by Swills

Exactly. If the NOTW was an isolated case it could be excusable, but now two papers - which in my eyes gives permission to question the legitimacy of all his assets.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

News Corp faces renewed threat of prosecution in US following Sun arrests

m.guardian.co.uk...

It looks like Murdoch's empire can be prosecuted in the US under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act & because their main headquarters is 
located in NYC.

The eight arrests escalate the FCPA crisis for the company by extending the allegations of bribery from the News of the World to the Sun newspaper, and by broadening its scope from police officers to other public officials. An official from the Ministry of Defence and a member of the armed forces were also arrested for alleged corruption and "misconduct in a public office".

It would also bring the scandal to America, which is the financial heart of the global company. News Corporation's headquarters are on Manhattan's Sixth Avenue, which is why the company is susceptible to the FCPA, a law introduced in the 1970s to hold US-based companies accountable for acts of bribery and corruption abroad.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

hosted.ap.org...

LONDON (AP) -- Britain's biggest-selling tabloid newspaper was fighting to contain the damage after five of its employees were arrested Saturday in an inquiry into the alleged payment of bribes to police and other officials, detectives and the newspaper's parent company said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well i quess we can awaite for the accidental death of another editor or reporter

The more thing change the more it the same.

edit on 12-2-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

top topics

join