It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cluster Land Mines in the Sky Go Looking for Enemy Tanks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster
reply to post by tonycliffs

its animated bulltish ..... and its hardly used as propaganda , if anything.... you yourself are a victim of propaganda for thinking the way they tell you to ..... with propaganda. No one is planning on invading the Jew.S.A , they just tell you they are to justify the un neccessary cold blooded murders they commit on foreign lands in your name with your money ..... "terrorists" wear suits and fly the american flag.

Gee....more liberals coming out of the woodwork.

What can I tell you....except know our Elite Fighting Forces are taking over more of the job over in Afghanistan, as reported in the uber liberal New York Times article this morning.

The uber liberal New York Times also reported in an article this morning about how private security forces are teaming with our Elite Forces as more standard troops are withdrawn.

The war goes on. You are not part of it. There is no military draft. Quit worrying. Nobody is coming to your door with a uniform to make you wear.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDave-AR
You would think that eventually people would realize that this sub forum is for the discussion of weapons systems and tactics, not the politics of using said weapons and tactics.

Back on subject, this system is remotely disarm-able and can be command detonated if the system is no longer going to be used in the field to prevent hazardous un-exploded ordinance accidents.

Thanks for getting back on track about the technicalities of this particular weapon's system.

Yeah, the liberals like to come here to moan and complain. Like they can't get it into their heads that...oh, never mind.

You are right. The idea of this system is that land mines aren't laying around for decades waiting to be accidentally detonated by a camel or a camel herder.

Liberals cry that land mines are cruel after the fact. That they can't be retrieved after buried everywhere. You give liberals a system that is cleaner, and they still cry. But if liberals didn't have something to cry about, they wouldn't be liberals.

By the way, speaking of camels.....the first use of water mines was during the American Civil War, against iron clads, made out of cow udders to keep them afloat.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Some liberals really give liberals a bad rap. I am considered fairly liberal in my family and with some of my friends but I am also a combat veteran, support our troops, I own guns, dislike big gov but I believe the government does play a role in our lives and should, I didn't agree with the Iraq war even though I was there and several other things that kind of contradict what a conservative should be. I think I'm in the middle.

That being said I find myself arguing with liberals on here all the time because I find them ignorant of reality especially dealing with the military. Maybe that is because most liberals have never served their country. I find it so frustrating when they come on here and wine about a weapons system when they have no idea about the military. This weapon system is a great leap forward and like someone said it will keep landmines from laying dormant for years and killing a noncombatant. It's a win-win situation and people are still crying. For those who are crying about this here is a heads up in war the goal is to kill the enemy and strike fear into them.

I swear sometimes liberals really piss me off they would change their tune if they ever have to fight for themselves.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonycliffs
You are right. The idea of this system is that land mines aren't laying around for decades waiting to be accidentally detonated by a camel or a camel herder.

Liberals cry that land mines are cruel after the fact. That they can't be retrieved after buried everywhere. You give liberals a system that is cleaner, and they still cry. But if liberals didn't have something to cry about, they wouldn't be liberals.

By the way, speaking of camels.....the first use of water mines was during the American Civil War, against iron clads, made out of cow udders to keep them afloat.

It's really just a bad case of liberal ignorance disorder, they like to take there absurdly shallow and incorrect preconceived notions of weapons systems to make categorizations that are nowhere near logical. It's like the "assault rifle" bans in California and places like it. They try to group everything together without the slightest clue of the real uses and details of weapons to try to demonize anything they can. I just don't get how some of these people get off acting like they know everything about anything.

These weapons systems are moving in the right direction and I think they should be supported strongly for there responsibility in protecting against collateral damage and devastating effects to 3rd world populations who don't have the means to deal with the masses of un-exploded ordinance. Just look at Cambodia and Loas they are still to this day ravaged by munitions from 40 years ago.

Perhaps they will see the light some day, once they retreat from there "anal cavity cave of protection from reality" (think head up their arse's).

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I swear military threads attract liberals like flies to #. They can literally do not know what they're talking about.

At least us liberals/progressives don't create threads celebrating weapons of destruction as if they are tools re relish employing against those people that simple give us no option but defending ourselves trough violence.

Sigh..... People have it wrong it's not that there aren't any terrorists simply because we aren't done killing them yet. Their numbers are down but the job isn't done until they're all gone.
We will let you know when they're extinct.

If there was a foreign Muslim terrorist threat on the US mainland they could be setting off explosives in city malls without much chance of getting caught. If there were really terrorist that simply hated Americans ( as in regular folks on the street) they would be killing Americans in droves. The fact that this is not happening rather proves that whatever 'terrorist' there truly are are either busy defending their homes in whichever country the US is attacking or occupying today or are otherwise aiming their efforts at fighting the American government and not it's generally mostly decent , if ignorant, voters.

Since terrorism is a strategy, mostly practiced by governments, and not a type of person you can not make it 'extinct'. Perhaps once you have familiarised yourself with the difference you can come back and tell us more about why all governments in human history painted their enemies as subhuman and or 'terrorist' who do unspeakable things to us we would never do to them?

Thanks for posting this thread I like seeing the new technologies. There was another weapons system I saw myself that was a smart landmine I will try to find a link to a video of it.

I am afraid to ask but here goes, " does it only kill terrorist?"

You can actually turn them on and off and they will find their way to the target.

Facial recognition? Scent? What does terrorist smell like?

Stellar

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

You would think that eventually people would realize that this sub forum is for the discussion of weapons systems and tactics, not the politics of using said weapons and tactics.

Perhaps if the author did not so gleefully talk about this weapon and what it would do to 'terrorist' the rest of us could focus on the weapon instead of ridiculous posturing that so deserves the collective ire of fair minded people.

Back on subject, this system is remotely disarm-able and can be command detonated if the system is no longer going to be used in the field to prevent hazardous un-exploded ordinance accidents.

Fantastic theory but they are more expensive and the pentagon does not count enemy civilian dead so why would they pay top dollar for this feature.

Stellar

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
I am afraid to ask but here goes, " does it only kill terrorist?"

You can actually turn them on and off and they will find their way to the target.

Facial recognition? Scent? What does terrorist smell like?

Stellar

So are you trying to insinuate that this system is no better than a traditional "dumb" mine? I mean really can you not concede that this technology is a massive improvement and should be treated as such and supported as much as possible. I mean there will still always be collateral damage with the fog of war and enemy combatants purposefully hiding within civilian populations to try to cause as much mayhem as possible but this is about as good as it gets.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX

Perhaps if the author did not so gleefully talk about this weapon and what it would do to 'terrorist' the rest of us could focus on the weapon instead of ridiculous posturing that so deserves the collective ire of fair minded people.

Fantastic theory but they are more expensive and the pentagon does not count enemy civilian dead so why would they pay top dollar for this feature.

Stellar

In my first post in this thread I said that I did not agree with how the OP was worded but you guys are taking wayyyy to the other side of spectrum.

The whole reason for this system to be developed with a command link is to prevent unintended damage. If we support this system as being the best option the chances of it being deployed in the real world are much greater. Of course it would be cheaper to lay dumb mine fields and the such but look at the billions upon billions our government spends improving systems like this to save lives.

The 40 Skeets scan an area of 1,500 feet (460 m) by 500 feet (150 m) using infrared and laser sensors, seeking targets by pattern-matching. When a Skeet finds a target it fires an explosively-formed penetrator to destroy it. If a Skeet fails to find a target, it self-destructs 50 feet (15 m) above the ground; if this fails, a back-up timer disables the Skeet. These features are intended to avoid hurting civilians later, and result in an unexploded-ordnance rate of less than 1%.

edit on 12-2-2012 by BigDave-AR because: Add info

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Going back on-topic, the video interested me (though maybe my concentration was due to having to penetrate the sales-pitch with its seven score of the word 'module'..) and I've been thinking it through:

1) Presumably the bomblets fired are contact-fuzed, so there should be a 0% munition littering (the main problem with cluster munitions and civilian deaths).

2) Even assuming that it won't always be a 1:1 bomblet/tank ratio, it would still result in a muuuuch lower amount of leftover munitions compared to 'carpet-bombing' methods of cluster dispersal (see above)

3) While I don't have any evidence for/against other than this video, I'd be interested to see anything that would detail the weaknesses potentially present in this kind of area defence and how they're covered by the force present - because presumably they don't expect these things to be the ONLY method of defence in such a scenario.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kolya

Yes, the arms industry works on a profit margin.

Whether it is America, Russia, China, Pakistan or India.

It just so happens that we are the best in the world, and dang proud of it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShockTruther
reply to post by tonycliffs

You do realize that if there were any real "terrorists" that they would be attacking inside the U.S., right? So I guess they'll just have to leave their tanks in the garage and do something really complicated like highjack a plane and crash it into a building.

Because you know, critical infrastructure like natural gas pipelines, electrical transformer stations, and water treatment plants are WAY too inaccessible. It's not like you can just drive up to the water treatment plant... And transformer stations have like chain link fence with barbwire on top... And gas pipelines aren't marked above ground with signs... And taking out the power and water to half of a large city wouldn't cause much damage or chaos...

Seriously dude, can't see how easy it would be to shut down a large part of any major city with 4-5 well placed bombs (in very unsecured locations). Hell, you wouldn't even need bombs, just rent a backhoe or a dumptruck. Anybody that really believes in "the terrorists" is living in dreamland.

ETA: I have simply pointed out these weaknesses in our critical infrastructure for the benefit of government planning agencies. I am not the enemy.

edit on 11-2-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

You guys still haven't answered. If I can figure out how to take out power and water to over a million people with 6-7 dumptrucks and no explosives, then why haven't we been attacked again? Our infrastructure is incredibly vulnerable and a couple high-school drop outs could shut down a city.

Don't have an answer for that other than "liberal".

BTW I'm not liberal, just not retarded.
edit on 14-2-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ShockTruther

Why dont you test that theory out and see how far you get? Youll find real quick people are watching more than you think.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Have you ever seen a transformer station? They're in the middle of highly trafficked areas and remote areas alike. They're surrounded by a chain link fence with barbwire. I don't care who's watching. There is no way to stop a dump truck from driving right off the road and directly into one. Oh, except the invisible guard who's there twenty four hours with a tank to stop the dump truck, right?

Your argument holds no water.

I'd say as many people are watching/guarding transformer relays, underground gas lines, and water treatment plants as were watching/guarding those airplanes on 9/11. About zero.

Or if you want to argue about well "watched" places being safe, then I guess someone was intentionally looking the other way when four planes went off course and into restricted airspace. I sure didn't see any interceptor jets anywhere near the scene. Hmmm, that's curious.

edit on 15-2-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Apparently my argument holds plenty of water. Hasnt happened yet now has it? Do you not think they have tried to do another attack? Now , i suggest you try to get 6 or 7 dump trucks and take out a cities power grid. Lets see how far you get.

Attacks will happen through sleeper cells ,obviously , but your everyday terrorist is going to have a problem blowing up a powergrid with the limited training he is given.

If we go to war with Iran , you will see the attacks you are speaking of or perhaps not , it depends on how much the feds prepped for it.
----

Since you are Mr.Terrorist mastermind , go try your cards. I promise you , you wont get far.

----

Also , since you arent very well versed in the way things have changed since 9/11. They can have the power back up in a matter of hours to an entire town. Do you not think they know how easy it is? Contact your state Homeland security office , they wont give you specifics , but they will let you know they have plans for this sort of thing. So you just killed yourself and ruined your family's life. Good job.

Things arent as easy as you think they are , or they would have been done already. The terrorist organizations we are fighting arent retarded.

If you are capable to think up an idea such as this , i promise you , the feds are way ahead of you.

edit on 16-2-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Well that is if you actually believe all the terrorist BS. You know I might be convinced too if they released the video of that plane hitting the Pentagon. Oh, right National Security, I forgot... Oh, but wait, they did release a video! In one frame there is nothing, in the next there's a big fireball and you can't see anything! Wow, you were right, now I'm convinced...

And yeah I'm sure that Dept Homeland security has tons of extra transformers sitting around ready to go at a moments notice....Please. All it took was a rolling brown out cascade to shut down electricity to NYC for days. There wasn't even damage done to the infrastructure in NYC. Where was DHS on that one?

I guess all those sleeper cells didn't care about us shooting Osama in the face when he was unarmed and then unceremoniously dumping his body in the ocean. They must have still been sleeping when that happened. Or, maybe they need a bunch of training before their next attack. That's it, all the sleepers here taking classes on how to drive dumptrucks or big rigs...

Keep drinkin' that kool-aid.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12

If we go to war with Iran , you will see the attacks you are speaking of or perhaps not , it depends on how much the feds prepped for it.

edit on 16-2-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

THIS. Way to make it so that you're right no matter what happens. I bet if we get attacked, they'll release the video and they'll let investigators go through the wreckage and debris to determine what exactly happened and how to prevent it in the future.

They won't clear the site ASAP and send the wreckage oversea to be "recycled"...

Oh and your comment about dying and ruining MY family's life. Way to make it sound like I'm the bad guy. I specifically put this as hypothetical. And used it to illustrate how BS the belief that there are actually terrorists in the US. Don't be so shifty.

That said, - Don't you know that terrorists all become martyrs and that everyone that terrorists know all hate America? So, why would the family be upset? They're all "Death to America". It would be like they had a saint in the family.

Keep it comin'.

edit on 16-2-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join