It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

an unexpected simple thought.. hmm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I just had a strange, yet some how NORMAL experience.

I knocked over a glass with my coat, whipped around and some how caught it JUST in time...

I am by no means the most coordinated guy out there.... but some how I was focused and it really did seem like time slowed down for a second.. and I caught it.

I was just wondering... if we could access the minds FULL potential.. what it would be like. All falling/moving objects in slow motion hmm? time would seem to slow down perhaps.

I dont know but very very interesting experience I had. and I somehow found it extraordinary even though it was simple and an every day thing.

Just some thoughts peeps =]
edit on 11-2-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I would say its luck. I don't think your mind can make your muscles react quicker than what they are physically able to do. My body could never benchpress 300 pounds or run a marathon since its not conditioned for that.

Not really my field of expertise so I will see what others more knowledgable may have to say about this.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

It's not luck, OP. This is generally described as Being in the Zone. ( I love getting in the zone on BF3, lol)

People don't understand how weird it is until it happens to them. -shrug-

I was in a car wreck once, and let me say, It lasted every bit of 4-5 minutes. Couldn't have been 20 seconds.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think what you are describing is called the Yi consciousness in Taoist Chi Kung meditation. Whether or not you have experienced this that I am not sure. Your mind becomes so encompassing and so all knowing that you are always prepared to act....even without knowing when or what to react. However, when this event is supposed to happen, you are ready and prepared and will always act rightly and correctly.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It was perhaps your ability to focus at that time. I don't think you really enjoyed a slow motion show like in movies and games.
And I think one can be trained to develop quicker reflexes like in some martial arts you need to have full concentration and react very quick than a normal person. So we just need to sharp our blunt brains.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiForce
I think what you are describing is called the Yi consciousness in Taoist Chi Kung meditation. Whether or not you have experienced this that I am not sure. Your mind becomes so encompassing and so all knowing that you are always prepared to act....even without knowing when or what to react. However, when this event is supposed to happen, you are ready and prepared and will always act rightly and correctly.

I have had this feeling many a time, didn't know quite what to call it, but it always amazed me that somehow I was able to manuever in a certain way to dodge something.

One thought comes to mind, when I was riding my bike down the freeway, there was a tunnel coming up, and it goes from 6 lanes to 2 in about 100 yards. It gets pretty bunched up. Anyways I was heading to the tunnel, getting ready to change lanes, there was a van in front of me, starting to slow down probably about 20 ft from me, I put my right blinker on, cleared right and proceeded to turn, while doing that I was turning my head and eyes back to looking forward and had noticed that the van was already to the left of me. It had hit the brakes, for whatever reason, I had honestly thought that the van would have still been in front of me. It all happened very fast, and for a couple seconds afterwards I couldn't help feeling stupid becasue I had almost killed myself. I don't really remeber commiting to the lane change, I just remember checking to see if it was clear, it was, then all the sudden the van was on my left.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76
reply to post by truthinfact

It's not luck, OP. This is generally described as Being in the Zone. ( I love getting in the zone on BF3, lol)

People don't understand how weird it is until it happens to them. -shrug-

I was in a car wreck once, and let me say, It lasted every bit of 4-5 minutes. Couldn't have been 20 seconds.

Originally posted by ChiForce

I agree with you guys. I've accomplished some amazing feats of hand eye coordination when I haven't had time to think and just acted. I think it gives you a small taste of what you could accomplish if you managed to still your mind chatter if only for a few minutes a day...

Most people would have knocked the glass would have simultaneously thought "Oh damn" and an image of a smashed glass on the floor would have flashed through their mind...... then the glass would have hit the floor. But occasionally you just act and amazing things can happen.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I have done very similar things at random times! It feels almost as though your body reacts towards the experience before the mind does - and that time slows down.

An experience perhaps already had and prepared for? Sheer luck? Hmmm

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have had several instances in my life where I have accidentally knocked something off a shelf. Without looking I have been able to get my hand in the right spot to catch it virtually every time with no thought. I am kind of a klutz so I don't always catch it, but my hand finds the spot to be on its own. This has also happened a couple times in sports. I played a lot of slow pitch softball in my younger days. I am not a big guy but I am a pretty decent hitter. I pretty much need to hit the ball perfectly with a perfect pitch to hit a home run. Twice in my life I have "gotten hot" as they say in the sport. I hit 9 in a row and 10 in a row. The weirdest thing is that my mindset was one of complete calm. I knew what the outcome was going to be each time I stepped to the plate. The pitch didn't matter, the situation didn't matter, it was going over the fence. Almost like I was creating my own reality. I have never felt like that at any other time. The only thing that stopped the streaks was the end of the tournaments. I felt I could hit 100 in a row if given the chance. I absolutely can't explain it. I am not good enough to ever do that, but it happened.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Dear OP,

We all have done things like this and, honestly, I would have to chock it up as being responsible for the subconscious mind.

It has been claimed that we only use ~10% of our brain power when we think with our conscious mind. Kind of limiting, right? However, your subconscious mind uses that other ~90% and is very powerful. We just have no control over it.

Say you are listening to a conversation of a bunch of people talking. Not really listening to the words, just the essence of the conversation. There are so many people talking that you don't know what is going on. Suddenly.. "John" your head peaks up and you are instantly aware of the fact that you heard someone just say your name. (John is just an example).

The subconscious mind is what heard your name, as it listens for important things, and it told your conscious mind that something relevant to you just came up.

Now, that is just an example but it works with many things. The problem is, we are constantly stuck in thought of your conscious mind. We think to ourselves all day about our problems and analytical things or creative things. Just really being in our heads. When this happens, we can't hear the messages our subconscious mind is saying.

People might throw out the argument "Well, what about in the event of an emergency?" Usually in an emergency, your conscious mind shuts right the hell on up.

Let's say you are walking on the road and suddenly a car comes barreling towards you. Well, you aren't going to be sitting there thinking "Hm.. did I leave the stove on?" You are going to be so surprised and caught off guard that you will probably have no conscious reaction. Your subconscious will override your brain and will tell you legs. "JUMP! JUUUUMMMP!" And usually you will have no choice to jump. Even if that all happened in a millisecond.

Also, your subconscious mind is very good at taking in information. Your conscious mind takes in about roughly 40 bits of information per second. That's not too bad, right? Yeah right. Check out your subconscious: It takes in 4 BILLION bits of information per second. It also interprets all this information.

This is most likely what happened with your incident. The subconscious knows how things work. It knows how to maneuver your body, and how physics of the Universe works. It's all natural. So, when this glass fell over, your subconscious mind was like "Huzzah!" and it took over. Probably a pretty cool feeling, right?

This is a state the old Berserkergang Norse warriors used to try and attain. I'll leave you with a quote on some information regarding it:

www.uppsalaonline.com...

The Dagaz Moment

A skill critical to the development of somafera as a martial art, and one quite useful in somafera practice in any event, is the attaining of the dagaz moment, as I call it. (Dagaz being the germanic word for twilight, the moment day becomes night, or night becomes day.) It is a default unitary state with the object of a person's attention, whether directed externally or internally, that exists for the first moment a new object enters the field of attention and for a variable time (from no time at all to more than a minute) in an only slightly tarnished form afterwards.

Consider the memory. There is the long term memory we all use to recall events and thoughts from long past. There is the short term memory that we use to recall events up to several minutes ago with much greater clarity than the long term memory, in general. And there is the working memory that, so studies show, has near limitless accurate recall of data for just a few moments, a fraction of a second in most cases.

The reason that the recall is both so large and so accurate is because of the fact that so little, if any, time has elapsed. Think about the state of the working memory the very instant that the sensory data or thought hit it; those data, that thought, would be recorded with perfect accuracy, for nothing other than the recording process has created the memory. Thought is a physical process, involving the firing of neurons (the nerve cells of the brain). This takes a certain amount of time to occur. Until it does occur, no corruption of the data can possibly occur. The mind's understanding of the object of attention is perfect, and without error. This is the moment I call the dagaz moment, the moment of twilight, for the sun quickly sets upon this uncorrupted perfection. The moment thought occurs, the potential for error to be introduced into the understanding, into the working memory occurs. After all, no one and nothing is perfect, all of our thoughts are a little off; partially, potentially flawed.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

continued:

This means that action taken precisely in response to the dagaz moment of a particular thought will be right on; swift, accurate, strong. But learning to recognize a dagaz moment quickly enough to be able to so take advantage of it is quite difficult. But it is possible. A dedicated practitioner of somafera could benefit enormously from skill in this area, for it would allow he or she the ability to respond instictively to things, and as part of that response mentally set up conditions so that it is easier to recognize and appropriately respond to the next dagaz moment.

Take somafera as a martial art. The martial artist who could recognize and respond to dagaz moments quickly enough could attain a dagaz moment unitary state with the mere beginnings of an opponent's move, accurately anticipating where it will land well enough before it does so that it can be countered with minimal energy and minimal movement, leaving enough attention in the mind to recognize the next most appropriate dagaz moment to respond to.

The dagaz moment can be extended (sort of) a little while longer than is natural for the practitioner simply by being in a clear minded meditative state, preferably unattached to the ego. This will ensure that while some unescapable minimum of subconscious thought-association is going on, it will not seriously corrupt the image of the dagaz moment a little while longer.

A practice I undertook to help myself recognize dagaz moments involved throwing small rocks at young trees or poles a good ten yards away. I would have my gaze lowered, or away, or was inwardly focused, and would suddenly look up at my target and throw the rock I was holding simultaneously at it. This helped the action to be taken directly in response to the dagaz moment, and I grew more easily able to identify this occuring.

Another practice I found useful involved sword cutting practice. I would practice swinging my sword at its target (a log) and stopping short a hair's breadth away from it. Not pulling back on the swing, mind, but naturally stopping short at that point. This required developing the skill of noticing and catching dagaz moments. A good aid to the process was to be looking away, suddenly look at the space just above the target and cut, and immediately close my eyes, so no further visual data were being processed. (Word of warning: don't cut your fool self doing this, only attempt if you really know what you are doing with a sword. And of course never perform anywhere near others, one can always lose one's grip.)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

What makes athletes good at their job is getting in the zone
time slows down from the perspective of the goalie...

ETA this guy is an extreme example.

edit on 11-2-2012 by kalisdad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
silence your thoughts and push your body to its physical limit day in and day out and you'll find your mind is much more fluid and responsive to our environments than we could ever imagine!

top topics

join