It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing God in Secular Music…

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Sometimes I hear glimpses of God, in certain types of secular music (non religious).

If anyone has heard God speaking through regular types of music, feel free to share them here…no matter how wacky it may seem…

No need to post pictures if you don’t want to. Maybe just post the song, along with a simple explanation of why you hear... what you hear…

I’ll go first…

To see where I’m coming from, I’ve added some pictures to the lyrics…

“I'm Alive" - by Celine Dion

(Lyrics with pictures…)

I get wings to fly…

Oh, oh ... I'm alive ...

Yeah…

When you call on me…
When I hear you breathe…

I get wings to fly…
I feel that I'm alive.

When you look at me…
I can touch the sky…

I know that I'm alive.

When you bless the day…
I just drift away…

All my worries die…
I'm glad that I'm alive.

You've set my heart on fire…

Filled me with love…

Made me a woman…

on clouds above…

I couldn't get much higher…
My spirit takes flight…

Cause I am alive.

When you call on me
(When you call on me)
When I hear you breathe
(When I hear you breathe)

I get wings to fly…
I feel that I'm alive…
(I am alive)

When you reach for me…
(When you reach for me)
Raising spirits high…

God knows that...

That I'll be the one…

Standing by through good and through trying times…

And it's only begun…

I can't wait for the rest of my life.

When you call on me…

(When you call on me)

When you reach for me…

(When you reach for me)
I get wings to fly
I feel that...

When you bless the day
(When you bless, you bless the day)

I just drift away
(I just drift away)

All my worries die…

I know that I'm alive…

I get wings to fly…

God knows that I'm alive.

- JC

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

thats cool ^_^

i think big G has a very special way of talking to all of us, if we are willing to listen and be VERY open minded.

sometimes G talks to sweet little old mexican ladies through their toast ^_^

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
i do this a lot, thought i was the only one

very cool pictures too OP

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
One of my favorite songs, in fact it's my favorite inspirational song, is by the late, great Stan Rogers, a Canadian folkie. The song is The Mary Ellen Carter, a song about a great lakes freighter which sinks, and is raised by some former crew members who loved her. The tie-in for me is that the ship is sunk, and cannot save itself, but must be saved by an outside agency, if you get my drift. Maybe I just read that into the song, for it concludes:

"...And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow,
with smiling bastards lying to 'ya everywhere you go,
Turn to! and put out all your strength of arm, and heart, and brain,
and like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!"

Then there are gobs of Christian/Biblical references in the songs of Jane Getz - I think she came from a Christian background, but is secular herself. Great songs anyway. Snippets:

"Twas on a ten-mile Baptist highway that I spent my virgin years
sellin' door-to-door excuses 'till the Savior could appear
never had no carnal knowledge, never smelled a bad cigar
thought they took you to heaven in a pickup truck and that the Lord played lead guitar
I wanna sing evermore, I wanna sing evermore
heaven's on the ground floor, and I wanna sing evermore"

"...It's a long haul back to heaven, now
but a stone is just a stone
I should have known that years ago"

"...told the folks that I was leavin'
put the yearbook on the shelf
if the Lord hasn't choses me by now
He'd better get somebody else"

"...so many stones and pitfalls
said one blind man to another
but you'd have stumbled on to heaven
if the lady in the song had been your mother"

edit on 12-2-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

edit on 12-2-2012 by Lazarus Short because: doo-daa

edit on 12-2-2012 by Lazarus Short because: Hoo-Hah

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Music is eternal.

It doesnt mean that just because churches sing ancient songs, only those songs were sanctified. Those songs too, at their time of writing, were probably considered today as 'top 40s' of the biblical chart then, if even accepted during those rigid robotic days when music was stupidly considered a vice.

As mankind progressed, so too will music progress as based upon the environment of the day. Even atheists have to admit within their secret heart that their knowledge to live in peace within societies came from ancient times, a time when civilisation was taught to mankind whom could only survived on barbaric jungle laws.

Love is the greatest gift from our common Creator. We were never to be robots, but to be beings with emotions and free will. Sing and be joyous with those gifts so that others may be touched, and sing so that comfort and solace can be offered to the down and out to be uplifted....

Our common Creator seeks not for pedestals made of him. None exists. He is not just about religion or robotic dogmatic man-intrepretated beliefs. He is all about progress and evolution of the human race, to be civilised with responsibilities to each other willingly withn society, to fulfill a destiny to the stars...
edit on 12-2-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
It doesnt mean that just because churches sing ancient songs, only those songs were sanctified. Those songs too, at their time of writing, were probably considered today as 'top 40s' of the biblical chart then, if even accepted during those rigid robotic days when music was stupidly considered a vice.

I'm thinking that quite a few of the songs in the average hymnal were based on secular songs. Just look at the notations at the bottom of the page, and see what song/tune the hymn was based on. Some IIRC were even based on beer-drinking songs.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

thats funny

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1Corinthians11

first impression is probably shocking to the average holy roller but there are Word connections ya know

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Luke 7
For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
Luke 21

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
No lyrics at all, which I believe can be the most powerful kind of music.
Unfortunately, youtube doesn't seem to have a proper version of this song, the best I could do was a cut that was used as the music for this video of some game. It doesn't start from the beginning of the track, so the music is a bit abrupt, and may take a few seconds to get into. Best heard with headphones

Solas - The Ballerina Jig

edit on 14-2-2012 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
You can hear God in secular music, secular TV, heck, everywhere. He is omnipresent. If you are looking for synchronicity, you will see it. God is all around!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Is this song a Christian, Muslim or Jewish song? Is it secular or religious, as the music style and arrangement is definitive modern and not 18th Century traditionalist?

Music transcends to all, even to atheists.

It's harmonic resonance vibrates within us, when we face with problems more than seemingly humankind can handle or solve, and words tumble out from our secret hearts to plea with our common Creator, and seek for His path which will lead to solace and answers not just from amongst a varity of divine Teachers sent to Earth through the course of our current civilisation, but from harmonic resonance as well...

Remember, there are NO atheists in a foxhole when a B2 bomber is overhead pounding away, or a nuke is on its way to your city with you hurdling your family and friends together for the last time....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for your replies so far…

There’s been some debate as to whether this song is about the singers wife, or God, partly due to the fact that the singer is a Christian…the jury’s still out…Although the song has become increasingly popular as a worship song, throughout many churches.

- JC

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Just had to post this next song, which reminds me of keeping faith and hope in God alive, when doubts start to appear.

Rest in Peace Whitney…

- JC

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Lord of Eternity - Fernando Ortega

Fernando Ortega has the voice of an angel

Blessed is the man
Who walks in Your Favor
Who loves all Your Words
And hides them like Treasure
In the darkest place
Of his desperate Heart,
They are a LIGHT
A strong, sure Light.

Sometimes I call out Your Name
But I cannot find You.
I look for Your Face,
But You are not there.
By my sorrows, LORD,
Lift me to You,
Lift me up to Your Side.

Lord of Eternity,
Father of Mercy,
Look on my fainting Soul.
Keeper of all the stars,
Friend of the poorest Heart
Touch me and make me whole...

If YOU are my Defender,
Who is against me?
NO ONE can trouble or harm me
If YOU are my Strength.
All I ask, all I desire
Is to live in Your House ALL MY DAYS.

edit on 16-2-2012 by sugarcookie1 because: boo boo

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Sorry i cant seem to get this video to work..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Here’s the song you were trying to post…

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
If YOU are my Defender,
Who is against me?
NO ONE can trouble or harm me
If YOU are my Strength.
All I ask, all I desire
Is to live in Your House ALL MY DAYS

The above lyrics remind me in parts of Psalm 23. Of course the Psalms, as you probably know, are meant to sung out loud to music.

Unfortunately Fernando Ortega writes Christian music, which is great, but I’m looking for secular music, in which, people can hear God, Christianity or something spiritual, coming through the lyrics.

Like for example, Candi Staton’s “You got the love” song, is classified as secular music, even though she is singing about Jesus. Those are the types of songs I’m looking for, but I’m also looking for secular music, where the singer isn’t specifically singing about God or anything religious, but where God can be heard through the lyrics in a very subtle way; A lot will depend on the interpretation of the listener.

Anyway, thanks for your post…great song…

- JC

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

Those are the types of songs I’m looking for, but I’m also looking for secular music, where the singer isn’t specifically singing about God or anything religious, but where God can be heard through the lyrics in a very subtle way; A lot will depend on the interpretation of the listener.

May you enjoy this as well.

edit on 17-2-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

You sure that's God you're hearing?

Did you not know that Lucifer was the Choirmaster of Heaven? He has dominion over soundwaves and airwaves. I'd start paying real close attention to lyrics in songs that glorify him as opposed to God.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

One Christian writer said that he could smell the sulfur in the church hymnals...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
You sure that's God you're hearing?

(Yes) In which song? This is the thing, a lot depends on how the listener interprets the song. And I have a very active imagination.

Did you not know that Lucifer was the Choirmaster of Heaven?

Yes, at one time all of the Angels in heaven would sing together. In the OT they were sometimes referred to as stars.

He has dominion over soundwaves and airwaves. I'd start paying real close attention to lyrics in songs that glorify him as opposed to God.

Well I believe there’s only one God, so any music, which sings about God is IMO, talking about THE one and only God! …

I also have a varied taste in music, and love all types of music genres. And although I listen to Christian music as well, occasionally I hear God in other music.

- JC

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join