It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Weapons Inspector: Iraq Had No WMD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
In one of the most highly debateable issues for the reason to invade Iraq, Charles Duelfer, the head of the Iraq Survey Group, has concluded that there are no stockpiles of WMD, but Saddam had dormant programs that could be revived at a later time.

story.news.yahoo.com
In a 1,500-page report, the head of the Iraq Survey Group, Charles Duelfer, will find Saddam was importing banned materials, working on unmanned aerial vehicles in violation of U.N. agreements and maintaining a dual-use industrial sector that could produce weapons.

Duelfer also says Iraq only had small research and development programs for chemical and biological weapons.

As Duelfer puts the finishing touches on his report, he concludes Saddam had intentions of restarting weapons programs at some point, after suspicion and inspections from the international community waned.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I do not believe the bottom of this issue will ever be found, this was the Main reason for overthrowing Saddam. As the Election nears 'things' just keep popping up.

The Duelfer report will come months after the Senate Intelligence Committee released a scathing assessment of the prewar intelligence on Iraq.

After a yearlong inquiry, the Republican-led committee said in July the CIA kept key information from its own and other agencies' analysts, engaged in "group think" by failing to challenge the assumption that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and allowed President Bush and Secretary of State Colin Powell to make false statements.

Is it me, or are they laying blame on the CIA for this one. Didn't most of the world leaders tell Bush that Saddam had WMD's, and showed them proof? Not only do we need to look at our own intelligence, but maybe look into intelligence that is shared with us.

Related ATSNN Articles:
See FredT's Post Below

[edit on 9-16-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 16-9-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Charles Duelfer the US chief weapons inspector in IRaq is set to release a 1500 page report that states that Saddam Hussein did not have stockpiles of WMD. His report concludes that there were several dormant projects that Hussein planned to reactivate once world attention was no longer on Iraq. The report did conclude that there were violations with unmaned aerial vehicles and proliferation of dual use technology. It also noted that Iraq only had a limited program for the development of biological and chemical weapons. According to the report, Iraq had no major nuclear weapons program either.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Drafts of a report from the top U.S. inspector in Iraq (news - web sites) conclude there were no weapons stockpiles, but say there are signs the fallen Iraqi President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) had dormant programs he hoped to revive at a later time, according to people familiar with the findings.

In a 1,500-page report, the head of the Iraq Survey Group, Charles Duelfer, will find Saddam was importing banned materials, working on unmanned aerial vehicles in violation of U.N. agreements and maintaining a dual-use industrial sector that could produce weapons.

Duelfer also says Iraq only had small research and development programs for chemical and biological weapons.

As Duelfer puts the finishing touches on his report, he concludes Saddam had intentions of restarting weapons programs at some point, after suspicion and inspections from the international community waned.

After a year and a half in Iraq, however, the United States has found no weapons of mass destruction � its chief argument for overthrowing the regime.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to sourses cited in the article, the report will basically follow the tone of the October report by now resigned David Kay. David Kay left the post of chief weapons inspector stating "We were almost all wrong" about the weapons programs in Iraq. Other finding included an Iraqi attempt to push the range of its ballistic missiles. One aspect still being looked at is the possibility that materials and research was diverted to other countries on the eve of the war. Starting out a year ago the Iraq Survey Group has attempted to find evidence of Iraq's prohibted programs.

Related News Links:
intelligence.senate.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iraq Unloading WMD Into Syria.
ATS: WMD of Iraq Found?
WAR: Syria-Iraq WMD connection.

[edit on 16-9-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 16-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I suppose the conclusions of the report are of less concern than the politically motivated headline.

As Duelfer puts the finishing touches on his report, he concludes Saddam had intentions of restarting weapons programs at some point, after suspicion and inspections from the international community waned

It will also add more evidence and flesh out Kay's October findings. Then, Kay said the Iraq Survey Group had only uncovered limited evidence of secret chemical and biological weapons programs, but he found substantial evidence of an Iraqi push to boost the range of its ballistic missiles beyond prohibited ranges.

Duelfer's report doesn't reach firm conclusions in all areas. For instance, U.S. officials are still investigating whether Saddam's fallen regime may have sent chemical weapons equipment and several billion dollars over the border to Syria. That has not been confirmed, but remains an area of interest to the U.S. government.

These findings and observations are worthy of note, I believe.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Fred, this is a well known fact by now. This is obviously Bush's war and will go down in history as such.
How pathetic.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Trickmaster beat me to the punch... Please post replies to here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
OMG! yes, we all know how Bush was victimized by all the leaders of the world on making him beleive Saddam had WMD! Poor Bush, always the victim.
Why do people constantly lie to Bush and make him do things he does not want to do? Its just a travesty.
And everyone knows how honorable Mr. Bush is.
Keeps getting more and more honorable every day.

At this point sarcasm is my only defense. Mr. president will always come out smelling like a rose, no matter what.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You know what I am really frustrated about these kind of reports? it seems to be like one of Kerry's flip-flops. First the UN says there are no wmd at all over there after the coalition was in Iraq, then they come out with the UNMOVIC report which says that there were banned rockets and parts in possesion of Iraq/Saddam before the war. Iraq fired banned missiles at the coalition in Kuwait at the beginning of the war, even if it was only 4 of them, they were not suposed to have them, the same with the now accumulated 100 rockets and missile parts that were in Iraq as the UNMOVIC report claims.

There was more bashing claiming that Bush lied and that Saddam was not trying to acquire uranium from Africa, then the Butler report comes forth and states that Bush was not lying and that Saddam was actively trying to get uranium from Africa...

It has been like this ever since the war started, but you know what matters the most imo? We have found that Saddam had banned weapons, we have not found what the 1999 UNSCOM report , from the UN, stated that there were +1,600 tons of combined chemicals, nerve agents ect, and 31,000 chemical munition that were unnacounted for.

So if Bush and the present administration lied, I have to say that the entire world, the UN, including Clinton and most democrats lied together with this administration, and the lie started with these people. Now the entire world want's to make the current US administration and Bush a scapegoat for their mistakes, if they were mistakes. Its sad... really.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
(sigh) This won't make a damn bit of difference in the election will it? If nothing else Bush's ratings will probably go up. It's like I'm in the freaking Bizzaro States of America.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
(this is the same i posted on the other thread but since it will probably be deleted I am copying it here)

You know what I am really frustrated about these kind of reports? it seems to be like one of Kerry's flip-flops. First the UN says there are no wmd at all over there after the coalition was in Iraq, then they come out with the UNMOVIC report which says that there were banned rockets and parts in possesion of Iraq/Saddam before the war. Iraq fired banned missiles at the coalition in Kuwait at the beginning of the war, even if it was only 4 of them, they were not suposed to have them, the same with the now accumulated 100 rockets and missile parts that were in Iraq as the UNMOVIC report claims.

There was more bashing claiming that Bush lied and that Saddam was not trying to acquire uranium from Africa, then the Butler report comes forth and states that Bush was not lying and that Saddam was actively trying to get uranium from Africa...

It has been like this ever since the war started, but you know what matters the most imo? We have found that Saddam had banned weapons, we have not found what the 1999 UNSCOM report , from the UN, stated that there were +1,600 tons of combined chemicals, nerve agents ect, and 31,000 chemical munition that were unnacounted for.

So if Bush and the present administration lied, I have to say that the entire world, the UN, including Clinton and most democrats lied together with this administration, and the lie started with these people. Now the entire world want's to make the current US administration and Bush a scapegoat for their mistakes, if they were mistakes. Its sad... really.

Was Bush the only one to ever make the claim before the war in Iraq that Saddam had WMD and was actively seeking more? no, the whole world was saying this.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
(sigh) This won't make a damn bit of difference in the election will it? If nothing else Bush's ratings will probably go up. It's like I'm in the freaking Bizzaro States of America.
Good news! Bush's ratings went down- he's tied with Kerry today.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Muaddib,

So your point is, the truth doesn't matter, it's about who is supposedly making Bush purposely look bad?

Get the priority straight. This is about whether or not we went to war for the reasons that were said. Bush's presidency means nothing. The Iraq War's got more at stake for the world than one ugly man's personal empire.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Fairly heated thread. I for one, was convinced long ago that there were no WMD's and am not surprised. As far as truth vs. politics, there seems to be only spin and perception. I think that everyone should read the "The Real Conspiracy" thread because it illustrates the perception of conspirarcy and the staunch beliefs by some that there is none. I contend that all of it is orchestrated by someone somewhere. That's why I love ATSN.

top topics

join