It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parenting 101: how to instill respect for others.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saytan75
I'm all for parents correcting their children, but not this way.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Saytan75 because: (no reason given)

Do you think this was his first effort?

Or maybe something extreme needed to be done to get this kids attention.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Well, it sounds on topic to me... and I would like to address it, because it is a big part of this whole parenting issue.

I see constant reminders on media about how terrible child abuse is... and I do mean constant! If it's not a commercial on TV, it's an ad on the Internet or a poster in a store or a billboard along the highway. Yes, child abuse is horrible, disgusting, unforgivable IMO... but I have yet to hear a definite definition of what constitutes child abuse.

I know a family who were on hard economic times. They used kerosene heat like me, and of course did not keep kerosene in the house during the summer. One fall day, the temperature fell overnight from the 70s into the 20s. It made a big news story about the "flash freeze". These poor folks were caught unprepared.

They did what they could: they got out extra blankets and made sure their kids were bundled up, even letting them sleep in their clothes to stay warm.

The next morning DHS (our version of CPS) showed up at 6:00 AM, demanded entry, and barged into each child's bedroom, ripping covers off the bed and checking to make sure the kids were "warm enough". Of course the kids were traumatized, and the parents were outraged.

Is it child abuse to not be prepared for a freak cold snap? If so, probably half the parents in the area committed child abuse that morning. Is it child abuse to spank your kid? If so, that would mean I am a child abuser. Is it child abuse to take away privileges or luxuries for disciplinary purposes? If so, that leaves precious little authority in the hands of the parents.

I say no, none of the above are child abuse... but others may say different. And the authorities respond to complaints from others. Since child abuse is not officially defined, no one knows what is and is not abuse and it becomes a judgment call. Since judgment calls are by nature subjective, that means most parents are today actually living in fear of the DHS.

And fear is the tool most favored by globalists.

Interesting coincidence, no?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Children learn respect when they themselves are respected by those around them. Parents/Teachers far to often demand respect but don't actually earn it. I am 35...my Father demanding respect, he never earned it. I still have no respect for him.

When will adults learn they can't beat yell and lecture respect into there kids. Respectful children have respectful parents. Loving parents that actually treat their kids like humans not like property.

You do the Math.

Yes, I do have kids, 4 of them. The 2 that are in school are excellent children, teachers love them Perfect scores. Respectful to their teachers. I am respectful to my kids and guess what their teachers are respectful to them. All us modern parents and our "hippy" crap. Loving our kids instead of beating or threatening them. What's wrong with us. I really should beat my kids like my Father did and his father before him...because that worked out so good. I find old school parents and teachers think all kids are disrespectful but I find the attitude of those people to be the real problem "demanding without giving". Do some soul searching. A Bully is still a bully regardless of if you are the mother father or teacher.
edit on 11-2-2012 by outandopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Explains a lot...Any violence is wrong but a one year old. Your Karma will come back if it hasn't already Read some books...the hand is not mightier then the mind. I hope someone gives you back all you gave your kids.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Spot on, I agree there is a lack of respect in this world. Not only do I believe there is a lack of respect, I think it has reached epidemic proportions. I see it everyday, even on these very forums.

Adults are just as disrespectful as kids are these days, that is definitely where kids are learning it from. And the horrible thing is, adults should know better.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by L00kingGlass
Adults are just as disrespectful as kids are these days, that is definitely where kids are learning it from. And the horrible thing is, adults should know better.

I teach - - you're friend does not invite you back - - their parents do.

Its quite interesting when a child respects the adult - - the adult often responds in turn.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

wow you are such a great role model...booting it up their ass...my parents don't know I hate them...I just play along and play nice...my Dad was just like you and Red Neck. As I get older I think they are realizing I don't have the fondest memories of them. In fact I only have one fond memory of each of my parents....one for each and 100's of not so fond memories. So the next time you think your kids love you...wait until they are mid 30's 40's and see if it still fly's Us "kids" take awhile to grow into not being afraid to tell you what we really think.

If a stranger thought you were disrespectful and walked up and hit you would it not be assault and battery? Why should you be allowed to assault and batter your kids? Because you don't have the creative intelligence to teach your child and discipline your child without violence. First look within...rarely is it the child's problem...more likely the parents problem to effectively communicate. Use your ears more your mouth less and your hands never.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by outandopen
reply to post by sonnny1

wow you are such a great role model...booting it up their ass...my parents don't know I hate them...I just play along and play nice...my Dad was just like you and Red Neck. As I get older I think they are realizing I don't have the fondest memories of them. In fact I only have one fond memory of each of my parents....one for each and 100's of not so fond memories. So the next time you think your kids love you...wait until they are mid 30's 40's and see if it still fly's Us "kids" take awhile to grow into not being afraid to tell you what we really think.

If a stranger thought you were disrespectful and walked up and hit you would it not be assault and battery? Why should you be allowed to assault and batter your kids? Because you don't have the creative intelligence to teach your child and discipline your child without violence. First look within...rarely is it the child's problem...more likely the parents problem to effectively communicate. Use your ears more your mouth less and your hands never.

Trust me,my kids don't get the "literal" boot up the old arse,but they do get disciplined when they do wrong.

Second,my children are great kids. They are that way because of what I instilled,not because some politically correct Dr. Spock book told me. You raise your kids your way,I will raise mine the way I feel fit. Got it?

Third,it looks to me you have had a bad childhood. Thats not my problem. Thats you and your parents problem.

Consoling might help........

edit on 12-2-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yeah well - - I do it the easy way.

I stick them on a high stool in the middle of the front room and wait until they are ready to talk.

Then we talk.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Its quite interesting when a child respects the adult - - the adult often responds in turn.

I can kinda see where you're coming from, but you know what they say about good intentions.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I can kinda see where you're coming from, but you know what they say about good intentions.

Haven't a clue what you mean.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Haven't a clue what you mean.

To be honest, I'm not certain what you meant either. I think you may have replied to the wrong post?

I said something about kids not being respectful, and you said something about parents inviting people back?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Can't watch the video,but nowadays kids expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter.I was born in '83,and while i played video games growing up,it didn't affect what type of person i was then and now.I was raised to treat everyone equal and work for what i want.Thats mainly what i'm trying to teach my three boys now.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Ok I had enough at 1:30, It seems like the daughter was troubled beyond anything. I don't know what to say other than this.

Respect your parents, if you have something on your mind, say it. If you want to be idle, then do so at your own risk. Your not a slave, just a daughter that is being taught everyday life in your case. And last of all, if you can't do the first one, then tell your parents that they have to earn your trust and respect. That is all, signing out.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Insanity cubed.
No comment.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saytan75
I'm all for parents correcting their children, but not this way.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Saytan75 because: (no reason given)

Do you think this was his first effort?

Or maybe something extreme needed to be done to get this kids attention.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

I don't pretend to know any friction him and his daughter may be going through right now. Maybe his daughter is a tearaway, a hell-raiser that he struggles to contain. I don't know her age, but I am assuming that she is under 18 years old as she is apparently "grounded" but that still does not change the fact that he has made a conscious decision to make a private family matter public, and has done so in a most disturbing manner.

A cry for help? A passionate outburst born of frustration? Who knows?

But watch the video and please understand what he is doing...

He could have sold the laptop on E-bay, he could have sat on it and broken it, headbutted it, punched it, put his fist through it, picked up and skimmed it across the ground, or stomped and put his foot through the damn thing and achieved the same result...

but no, he lets loose a clip of bullets into the laptop.

Disturbing and worrying on so many levels, I hope for the sake of both of them that this is just a flash in the pan of emotion that has boiled over sadly; onto a public stage (17 million youtube views strong) and we wont hear from this man again.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Saytan75 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Saytan75

By the looks of things, it was the rant of a spoiled brat. She had been warned once already, and did it again anyhow. She was upset she had to do work, and was disrespectful to the poor woman hired to clean their house.

This spoiled brat needed a severe punishment or a shock to her system to make her think twice about her horrible behavior/mentality. Most parents are not doing a proper job, as we can see by the current state of society: entitled disrespectful children who go on to become entitled disrespectful adults.

The father handled it perfectly.
edit on 12-2-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

yeah. guns'll teach 'em not to be a respectin'.
edit on 12-2-2012 by psyop911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I teach my children that people get a basic level of respect and trust and its very basic anything above that MUST be earned by the person wanting more respect and trust.

I always tell them respect and trust are earned not given.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

He had already tried confiscating her computer...she simply waited it out and then went back to her shenanigans. He had just upgraded her laptop for her, and she responded by using that laptop to berate and disrespect him. She did not buy the laptop herself; he had bought it for her in the first place.

He took back what was his, and by shooting the thing made it perfectly clear that her actions did not just cause her to have to wait things out again... thy caused her to lose her laptop. There's not a clearer way to emphasize to someone that their computer has been destroyed than plugging it with .45s.

Another lesson: appreciate what you have... and that includes being thankful that someone thought enough of her to give her a laptop in the first place. Thankful people do not cuss out the people they are thankful to in public.

TheRedneck

Being from the south myself, I respect the idea of discipline and respect for elders, and the girl clearly needs a firm turn in the right direction. However, I have a lot of problems with this guy. First of all, he mentioned a step-mother involved....helloooo!! There are some serious issues going on here!

Nobody knows what goes on in that house, but being a grown adult of quite a bit of emotional abuse as a child, I can say this was nothing but battle of wills between two very dysfunctional people. No child who is loved or respected properly, with parents who set the proper examples, would EVER disrespect their parents in this manner. As much as I hate to say it, I'd bet money on the fact that she was provoked and had no recourse to expel her frustration and anger at the situation. He may have bought her all sorts of things, but money doesn't buy love. She hurt his ego, and in turn, he humiliated her right back....on the evening news for God's sake!!!

Now, bottom line...let's remove all of us out of the equation. That relationship is YEARS away from ever being healthy and healed. It was bad enough before, but now, he'll be lucky if she ever speaks to him again. Who won exactly? Sure, he made himself look like a bad *ss in front of the world, and he has a supporting audience to tell him he was right on, but who will step up and heal the damage he's caused by doing this? Kids only lash out as a cry for what they're missing. I think this was an epic fail on his part.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join