It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US/Euro laptop power supply question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
i want to get a laptop...live here in the states. if i buy a laptop here, can i buy a separate power supply for the laptop that will work in europe?

i plan on visiting europe this summer and would like to use my laptop there without having to remember a stupid plug adapter. i can see myself forgetting the plug adapter everywhere i went. it would be a lot easier to just have to remember to grab my power supply.

so do any of you internationally tech savvy folks know if this is possible? know how i could go about acquiring this power adapter if this is possible???

thanks!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
what is the model # of the laptop so it can be researched properly?

or maybe just buy the wall adapter for your current power supply . . plug them up & tape them together with some electrical tape ? that would be the cheapest way and you wouldn't forget it!
edit on 11-2-2012 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Most laptops come with a "power brick" that states its specs.You can use this info to see if an adapter for European countries will work (which are like a couple bucks tops).

If it says something like 100-240 volts 50-60 htz, then an adapter will do (most newer laptops come this way).

If not you would need a transformer, which aren't that cheap.

edit on 11-2-2012 by calnorak because: symantecs, had to fix em

Sorry, reread your entire post. When I lived in Germany, I just used an adapter, it was like a Euro or two and it looks like an extension to the cord. It's by far the most cost effective solution.
edit on 11-2-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

All you will need the the appropriate adapter for your power supply. DEPENDING on what Country.

You can buy kits on ebay that have the different adapters for each country. www.ebay.com...

I am currently residing in Berlin and I brought my HP laptop over from Florida, just got an adapter.

HOWEVER be aware that you will have problems using your Laptop DVD/CD player.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bazarocka

All you will need the the appropriate adapter for your power supply. DEPENDING on what Country.

You can buy kits on ebay that have the different adapters for each country. www.ebay.com...

I am currently residing in Berlin and I brought my HP laptop over from Florida, just got an adapter.

HOWEVER be aware that you will have problems using your Laptop DVD/CD player.

by that do you mean the regional code? will only be a problem if you want to watch region 2 DVD's, but normally you can change the region code 5 times. (if you have already done it, don't despair, there are other ways of overcoming this limit)

Most laptops nowadays have a universal PSU, meaning it can be used both at 220V and 110V. (It will stand on the PSU).
edit on 11/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bazarocka

I forgot about that, your device can change the region on the DVD drive only so many times. Their might be a way around that, but I never bothered to watch non US movies (or even non English ones).

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

They sell universal adaptors in EU that works with nearly all laptop brands. Just make sure it has enough amp, same voltage and comes with the right connector.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bazarocka

thanks for that...look at this one i found...what do you think about this guy? it seems to cover most european countries.

6PCS International Travel Adaptor for Power Plug EU/US/UK/AU
edit on 2/11/12 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

all laptops i have ever owned have accepted imputs of :

100 ~ 240v , 50~60hz

which i believe encompasses all countries " domestic " power supplies

to plug the power supply into local sockets - either buy a adaptor plug at the airport when you arrive in the country visited

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

that would work, however it's rather pricey (for me anyways)
if you're going to one country, i'd just buy an adapter for that area, as opposed to getting a universal

if you're going to be traveling throughout the EU & UK or anywhere else then that would be a great choice

shipping on that is 16.99? OUCH! i'm sure it weighs no more than 3 ounces

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Most laptops come with what are known as 'Switch Mode' Power supplies, These will generally run from 90 volts to 300 volts (although usually the stickers say 100 - 250). I would guess that the standard power brick with a suitable plug adaptor would be fine for pretty much anywhere in the world. Manufacturers always build things down to a price so having 1 power supply that works anywhere rather than having to make 20 different types makes sense. I wouldn't worry about it...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
i want to get a laptop...live here in the states. if i buy a laptop here, can i buy a separate power supply for the laptop that will work in europe?

i plan on visiting europe this summer and would like to use my laptop there without having to remember a stupid plug adapter. i can see myself forgetting the plug adapter everywhere i went. it would be a lot easier to just have to remember to grab my power supply.

so do any of you internationally tech savvy folks know if this is possible? know how i could go about acquiring this power adapter if this is possible???

thanks!

check your current power supply, can you take your power cord out ?

if you can then check the end that plugs into the adapter, is it 3 prong ?

if it is then you have a us c13 cable, all you need to do is buy a euro c13 cable,
beware though that here in the uk we do not use euro cables so you would have to buy a uk c13 cable,

italy and switzerland sometimes still use regional sockets as well

euro cables (c13 bottom right)
www.xinrek.com...

uk cables (c13 bottom left)
www.xinrek.com...

top topics

join