It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second most devastating oil spill? Massive oil spill in Venezuela

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

The spill was due negligence so I guess it is because they havent really service it or change the pipes. Tbh, it hasnt been discussed publicly so no one knows how exacly it happened.

It first started that it was an explotion, now teh goverment says it wasnt. The goverment is not a very reliable source. Their team will go there on Monday so it will probably be "more clear".

This is actually a very clean river, well before this happened. It supplied for the communities around it and it is a very long river about 120km or more. In Venezuela, you ahve many towns and villages that get their water from rivers straight from. It is quite nice that we dont need to many water treatments, you just need to boil the water.

80% of them have no water now.

Also around there there is a lot of animals and flowers... it is quite sad and it will probably damage the land around for agriculture.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is tragic, I am so sorry this is happening to your country. The BP oil spill we experienced has injured so many people and ocean life.

I hope they can get it stopped. It is very disturbing to see. I don't understand the responses of posters to this thread? The leaders of a country are not the people of that country.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Iamschist

Thank you very much for, BP was a horrible disaster. We hope it doesnt get as bad but it hasnt been stop so, they are still working on it.

No worries about the people as long as others interested on the threat ignore them, its all good

edit on 11-2-2012 by azulejo because: Sorry IamChrist!

edit on 11-2-2012 by azulejo because: Soryy agaaaaaaaaaaaaaainnn
(((( I read your name wrong!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
OMG...This is terrible!
Thank you for posting. I would not be at all surprised that your government will pull out all the stops and spare no expense in sorting out this dreadful situation....in a way to show the rest of the world how things SHOULD be done in devastating situations like this.
Your country has a wonderful opportunity here, as tragic as the situation is, to fly in the face of adversity and criticism.
No doubt my posting will attract trolls...but hey...they are the minority.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Geez why are those people in the oil?

That is toxic. Should not be touched with bare hands. Somebody tell them>???

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In English, from the article.

The oil spill caused by the rupture of a tube in Complex Operational Jusepin, in Monagas state, Maturin left thirsty. Guarapiche pollution the equivalent of 1,000 barrels of crude forced to suspend service that supplies water to at least 80% of the population. The remaining 20% ​​used wells, so it is safe from the contingency.

This is the first I've even heard of this. If they asked for help, or didn't keep it somewhat secret from the rest of the world, maybe they could have been using some of the technology that countries around the world were trying to get the US to use, during/after the BP gusher.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I haven't been watching or reading any news for the last few days, so I hadn't heard about this until I saw this thread just now. Thanks for posting. Sorry to see all the ridiculous replies from trolls.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
IIts not nice seeing this kind of thing it causes massive damage to ecosystems and communities. It would be good yo see an international body being able to help in areas of pollution mitigation. I bet it wont get as much coverage as the Gulf Spill did.....

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your post. Completely, this is their chance in a way but to be honest, I dont think they will do a good job as you can see the pictures, the people dont even have the equipment they need to wear/use to get this oil out.

It is quite an opportunity for them to shine because this year, we have elections!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

I think people are just desperate to get this done. people wouldnt even get in the river before becasue it was for drinking, now their drinking water is gone for an indefinite amount of time.

The people who should be there which is the Ecological team from the National Assanbly are only getting there on Monday.
So, the communities around are trying their best (even though they will get quite ill) to tackle the problem.

What a big shame

Shame on you PDVSA!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

That article says that the remaining of 20% are safe from the contamination.

I dont understand what you are trying to say, im sorry (no kidding and not annoyed, Im just lost sorry!!)

They need to get water to the remainder of people which is 80% and they dont have enough trucks to do that., They need about 150 and they only have at the moment 32 to provide with.

Apperantly, the spill still is happening. It hasnt been closed. This is known to me by people who work in Pdvsa

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

It wont get because the news dont get out of Venezuela very easily.

Also that it is not the US

We dont have a very good relation wtih outside organisations. We have ask in otehr opportunities to Jimmy Carter foundation, OEA, Amnesty, etc. and such to help the problem we have with political prisioners for example, one of them Ramon Brito died after a hunger strike but no one listens.

So, we dont really believe in international organisations

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by azulejo

Hiya, sorry to hear that you are having a major oil spill in your country, especially when it affects 80% of the population.

Tin Foil Hat time: Are you certain that this oil spill is due to a rupture of the pipe or could it be an act of sabotage? The reason I am saying this, is of certain things that Chavez has said recently regarding helping out a fellow South American country. This 'spill' would deflect that and show that anything in Venezueala can be a target.

I am just saying ...... I am not trolling.

regards
Wotan

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
Off topic, I know.
ATS has a serious TROLL infestation! Smells like teens with no parental supervision to me.
You people make me SICK!

This is an important ecological disaster and all you can do is derail the thread with your retarded nonsense.

You give teenagers too little credit. These guys have been trolling since they signed up. No one wastes time like that. These guys are way too obvious about how they're making a paycheck.

Can we get some action here mods?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Working the conspiracy angle here:

It sure is convenient that Iran's ally is getting hit with a disaster right as the war machine is heating up. Chavez will be too busy worrying about cleaning this up and doing damage control in the press to worry about what's happening to Iran. Very convenient.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I dont think so... I havetn heard anyone saying anything like and rupturing a pipe in purpose will mean witnesses so, I reckon it would be quite difficult.

But you are right, it certainly will not benefit Chavez and Co for this election.

In God's will!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ShockTruther

Thank you very much!

I dont know how to contact people about it so I just elt them be.

I have seen in a very famous forum called Noticiero digital in Venezuela trolling happening with paycheck and all! So, I would be surprise

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kenrichaed
Yet another reason to invade Venezuela. I hope those of you anti-war folk are prepared to lose the environment because this is what pacifism allows to happen.

Enjoy your oil slicks.

yeah the world should have nuked the US after the gulph spill.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ShockTruther

I seriously dont think a conspiracy is happening, we havent had the time to think about it in that angle.

I dont think ti will benefit at all Chavez. Basically atm, we have the primeries elections today and this happened about a week ago, the spill. We are now focusing in the primeries and the spill, thats all you hear in the news.

I dont know how easy it will be for someone to manipulate pipes and all to sabotage anything there. I could ask my father who actually works doing all this stuff but I think he will get quiet annoyed about tthe questions so... I have asked! lol. It is possible but I really dont think so. if they would have done a sabotage tehy would probably pick Maracaibo area which is a massive lake and it would be a bigger disaster because 53% of the oil comes from this area and people are massively against Chavez here so it would make more sense.

I just think what really happened was accident and that people are not prepared for this kind of disasters in venezuela specially in this rural area. Let me tell you first that about 18.000 people were fired from this company because they signed the referendum to make Chavez step down the presidency. A lot of people who were working here were really prepared and were workimng there for a long time, some of them more than 25-30 years. So they knew about all projects going on.
My uncle, who is an engineer, has been working in this company for about 2 and 1/2 years and he says that the personnel now it is very incoimpetent and it is not prepared. They get the job first because they are with Chavez or because they do not appear oin the referendum list known as "Tascon list" which the later is my uncle situation.

From this, only people supporting will get hired first and maybe they dont even know what they are doing. Look at the foreign minister, Nicolas Maduro. He was a bus driver. Nothing against bus drivers but he lacks any education or any preparation for this job when you have very good inteligent, prepared people in Venezuela who can do this job better. Heck! I can do this job better.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by azulejo

I dont understand what you are trying to say, im sorry (no kidding and not annoyed, Im just lost sorry!!)

They need to get water to the remainder of people which is 80% and they dont have enough trucks to do that., They need about 150 and they only have at the moment 32 to provide with.

Apperantly, the spill still is happening. It hasnt been closed. This is known to me by people who work in Pdvsa

I remember people trying to get inventive and a few people came up with different things that would help to get the oil out of the water. I don't know if any of them might still be found with an internet search

I still haven't seen this on the news at all, this is all so sad for both people and animals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join