It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mods feel free to move / I did a search... Stop it. We know.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I don't remember at what point stating that you already did a search came into vogue. I think the idiots that go into a thread and say 'the search function is your friend' are to blame. Thanks for the help guys. I notice you rarely link a relevant thread. Can we give people the benefit of the doubt and be polite? 'Hey OP I saw a thread with the same topic at this LINK, thanks for sharing though!' sounds a lot better than 'Why didn't you do a search first?'. I am so sick of reading a great thread that starts with 'I did a search sorry if it's a duplicate.' Stop being jerks to other members. The search function here isn't great, and nobody is trying to steal anyone else's thunder. At the very worst, they just want to share something with you and were/are a bit overeager.

The 'mods feel free to move if this is in the wrong forum/place' irritates me to no end. They are Mods. They don't need your permission to move a thread to the correct forum. They know what they are doing.and this is a very rare site because the mods do a wonderful job. It seems half the threads I read start out with 'mods I don't know where to put this feel free to move.' Thank you so much for enabling the mods to do their jobs. Without that disclaimer, the moderators would surely be confused and unable to put your post in the appropriate sub-forum.

Is there any way we could all just agree to be polite to people that post in the wrong forum or *gasp* post a duplicate thread? Feel free to take out your e-vengeance on me... I have posted a TON of duplicate threads and I always do a search. I think there was one day where I did 5 duplicates in a row. I understand I am not a member that you would recognize, but I think even the most respected members here make a mistake now and again.

Perhaps we can give our fellow members a break, and the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
'Hey OP I saw a thread with the same topic at this LINK, thanks for sharing though!' sounds a lot better than 'Why didn't you do a search first?'.

'Hey OP I saw a thread with the same topic at this LINK, thanks for sharing though!'

Can something be made about the 'I searched but..' syndrome...please?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

fair enough.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Sorry I just couldn't resist

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Really believe why there are so many people here sitting on the fence or afraid to bring up a topic for fear of the Mod-wannabe Police shooting them down.

So what if the thread has been done? Maybe some of us newer members would like to see information revisited, or even post their own opinions regarding a topic that has been brought up many times.

Really it's just people with an over-exaggerated sense of self-worth that post rubbish like that. No-one is forcing anyone to click on a link to their post.

And hey, if the new thread contains similar info to what another poster has done, then link the two. It gives newer members the chance to go over old threads and maybe spark them back to life...

I will be honest and say that exact line is what stops me from posting many things on here...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

one day - i will be drunk enough to cast off all inibition and preface a thread with :

" i have not searched , and dont even care if there is another thread on this topic - mine is more important than the sum of all others , and yes i have posted this in the right place - because i say so - and if any mod moves or deletes it i will hunt them down and strangle them with thier own entrails `

thats how to start a thread

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
"mods, i ate your lunch, tell your mom to stop cutting the crusts off the pb&j, and now for my completely unoriginal thread".

Hows that?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I can give you only one tip on this type of problems, I base it on the years I have been a member of ATS and still active, the only way to deal with problems coming from other members is "to ignore any comments that are not related to your post", then let the mods do their job, they are the only ones that can find and fix a problem with threads, not regular members.

I hope this help.

Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, sometimes no matter what you do if you have anybody that doesn't like your post it never will.
and will always find fault on anything you do.

edit on 11-2-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yes, you should all be nice to each other. All the time.

Period.

As for members stating " Mods feel free to move". Regardless of whether or not that is written, it will be moved if it's in the wrong forum. So yes, it is a bit redundant to post such things.

As well as " Sorry if it's been posted" or "I didn't know what forum to pick" etc..

We know what belongs where and will move it accordingly in the event of any issues.

As for the search engine, it's linked in my signature, and contrary to popular belief, works just fine. Please use it.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I agree - I do wonder why people don't have better things to do than make snarky, unnecessary remarks. Is there a little gang of them who score points amongst themselves if they're the first to jump in with: 'wrong forum' 'thread already made on this subject'? (Or, my new favourite: Wouldn't this topic be better on Facebook?) You're right, all it achieves is to make members more nervous before they post a new thread.

However, these 'mini-mods' do bump the thread - so it's not all bad. Take the positives and don't let them get you down

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Just my 2 cents but I never understood the hate for the search engine. Every time I've used it I've always found what I was looking for. Sometimes I even try to find the article some posters claimed to have searched for just to check. Lo and behold, I can always find it, often with just 2 words as a search term.

Could it be better, such as options to limit the forum searched in and suchlike? Quite possibly but it does also say it is a work in progress and new features will be added in the future. Google also seems to find ATS articles quite easily too so I think all the "The search engine is crap" talk is a little unfair.

edit on 11/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Those are all upgrades that will come as the search engine is upgraded over time. It's still in it's beta phase really and I know that there are bigger projects in the works. Some of the small stuff like that ends up on the back burner.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
" i have not searched , and don't even care if there is another thread on this topic - mine is more important than the sum of all others , and yes i have posted this in the right place - because i say so - and if any mod moves or deletes it i will hunt them down and strangle them with their own entrails `

OOOOO I like that
Can I borrow it?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Just my 2 cents but I never understood the hate for the search engine. Every time I've used it I've always found what I was looking for.

The problem is those people don't care about the search engine... they just want to post a thread... Others may even put in the exact title, but if the other thread has a different title it won't be found

A good example was the recent flood of threads on the Ufo in the Baltic Sea... How hard is it to type in "ufo baltic sea" which yields 10 pages of search results

But this forum is HUGE... hundreds of thousands of visitors, thousands on members. That means stuff will fall of the page at lightning speed.

My Naval Space Command epic thread is a prime example. A few weeks ago someone made a thread on that. They got lots of flags and stars. They found the info on GLP, who had copied it from Exopolitics who had pretty much copied my entire thread (with a "Thanks to ATS" in fine print at the bottom
)

Funny thing is in that thread no one pointed out the duplicate until page 4 when someone mentioned that the source was ATS and my thread

With a board this size it is impossible not to get duplication... and I for one do want the link to the older post to see if there is any info.

What my beef is with these 'There is already a thread' posts is that a lot of times good info in the new thread is just tossed out by redirecting to the old thread... because VERY RARELY does anyone repost that info in the referred thread

Case in point with the Baltic UFO... the NEW thread provided facts that they had found a second spot, but that detail was completely lost in the flood of "so a search , its been done' posts

Perhaps the mods closing the thread could take a half minute to see if there is any new info before slamming the door shut

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

of course

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

As for the search engine, it's linked in my signature, and contrary to popular belief, works just fine. Please use it.

i do mean to be rude : UTTER TWADDLE

the ATS search is a joke

every facet of ATS with the singular exception of its in-house database search is without reproach

membership
staff
site design
security
media support
videos
uploads
chat

etc etc etc

but its so called " search " cannot enen be limited to a single sub fora , it has critica ` lag ` it cannot filter ANYTHING

it is not worthy of ats

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

You honestly misunderstand how the feature works then.

We've indexed more than five million distinct pages of content on AboveTopSecret.com, for an easy-to-use search engine that's more like asking questions of the smartest crowd of people you'll ever discover.

Use the field at left to enter anything from a simple one-word search to a complex query using conditional operators.

For example, if you want to search on the exact phrase Obama's birth certificate, you would type this in the search field;
"Obama's birth certificate"
Making sure you use the quotation marks.

But if you want to include any content on ATS that also discuss Kenya or Indonesia;
"Obama's birth certificate" Kenya Indonesia
The search engine will find the exact phrase and also content with other keywords.

To find content with one of any search terms, such as O'Hare UFO and terminal and control tower;
"O'Hare UFO" OR terminal OR "control tower"
ATS content with any one of those words will be found.

You can also tell the search engine to ignore specific words or phrases. For example, if you want material on Obama's birth certificate, but that doesn't contain the term birther;
"Obama's birth certificate" -birther
The minus sign in front tells search to ignore content with that word or phrase.

You certainly can filter words....

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Good points indeed. I had to laugh at your copied thread. Hey, at least they gave you some credit, even though in small print.

As for search terms, that is also true but a lot of people here don't seem to be able to google either. If you type UFO into google you will get back a mess of results which is only logical but with a little thought you can often narrow it down. I do get that people want to post threads but I notice people also getting peeved reading the same stuff, sometimes several times daily. That happens more often in the breaking/current/alternative news threads than anywhere else I guess but sometimes there are 3 threads all on the same thing and all visible on the New Topics page which is where I usually hang out unless looking for something specific.

Size does also play a role and as you rightfully stated many are eager to shout "Already posted!" but a lot of posts recently seem to consist of "Hey guys, I found this on the net. Thoughts?" rather than a serious attempt to find as much out as they can themselves. I know we all start gently with our threads (don't we?
) but there are some great examples on here (yours included) of how it should be done. I don't think I've ever seen a post by you or Rising Against (2 random examples off the top of my head) that ever had an OP containing less than several paragraphs which is I believe a standard format for the more serious threads. Obviously its not possible with all material but at least for some.

I don't think the Mods have the time or interest (no criticism) to see if there is new info contained in a thread before closing it but threads can be re-opened after querying their decision.

I lol'd hard at your 1st post on this thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join