It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Bishops: Obama's Solution 'Is Unacceptable'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops say Obama's "solution" is unacceptable !!!

Has the Obama Machine made another boondoggle here ?

He made it sound so "OK", but many say "NO".

February 11, 2012 -- cnsNews

(CNSNews.com) - The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops issued a statement late on Friday declaring that the small alteration President Barack Obama had announced earlier in the day to a regulation that would force all health-care plans in the United States to cover sterilizations and all FDA-approved contraceptives--including those that cause abortion--is 'unacceptable" because, among other things, it does not protect the freedom-of-conscience rights of secular for-profit employers, or secular non-profit employers, or religious insurers, or self-insured religious employers, or individual Americans.

The bishops expressed their hope that the new regulatory mandates the president described today "appear subject to some measure of change." "But," they said, "we note at the outset that the lack of clear protection for key stakeholders—for self-insured religious employers; for religious and secular for-profit employers; for secular non-profit employers; for religious insurers; and for individuals—is unacceptable and must be corrected."

The story has the complete statement.
Sorry Barry ....try again soon

The Obama(might not really)Care plan has more holes in it than Eric Holder's target practice tin can !!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I was initially pleased with the statement made by Obama on friday. Thinking that he stopped himself from violating the 1st Ammendment.
Then I realized that his "correction" would make everyone purchase abortion insurance. Something that the churces would find distasteful, to say the least.
S&F for keeping on top of this issue.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Ya,

It seems like the whole thing is a catch-22

Damned if they do, damned if they don't -- literally !!!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Why do they complain when they should be praying for it to be reversed?
Or do they not believe in that..

Seriously tho when it comes to medical issues there should be facts to back up an opinion if you want it to be taken seriously. You cant point at some fictional book and expect to be taken seriously when your talking about peoples health.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator

Seriously tho when it comes to medical issues there should be facts to back up an opinion if you want it to be taken seriously. You cant point at some fictional book and expect to be taken seriously when your talking about peoples health.

But religion is tied to medical issues.
There are some religions that refuse treatment, from blood transfusions to chemo, based on the tenents of their faith. These issues are respected by the medical community.

Apparently, though, catholocism appears to be a target by this administration.

Again, violating the 1st Ammendment.

The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

But religion is tied to medical issues.
There are some religions that refuse treatment, from blood transfusions to chemo, based on the tenents of their faith. These issues are respected by the medical community.

Apparently, though, catholocism appears to be a target by this administration.

Again, violating the 1st Ammendment.

The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

This is to do with workers not followers.
If a follower wants to refuse treatment so be it, but a worker should always have the choice because an employer cannot dictate an opinion about such matters on their workers.
The banning of contraception is in no way respected by the medical community.

It’s more likely this administration is targeting stupidity and ignorance which happens to be a reoccurring trait in most religions.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Today the Supreme Court decided what is likely the most important religious liberty case to come down in the past two decades.

In Hosanna-Tabor Lutheran Church and School v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Court sided unanimously with a church sued for firing an employee on religious grounds, issuing an opinion on Wednesday that religious employers can keep the government out of hiring and firing decisions.

www.educatetruth.com...

The above illustrates that the Supreme Court ruled for religious institutions to have the final say in hiring/firing and how the approach employees.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Today the Supreme Court decided what is likely the most important religious liberty case to come down in the past two decades.

In Hosanna-Tabor Lutheran Church and School v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Court sided unanimously with a church sued for firing an employee on religious grounds, issuing an opinion on Wednesday that religious employers can keep the government out of hiring and firing decisions.

www.educatetruth.com...

The above illustrates that the Supreme Court ruled for religious institutions to have the final say in hiring/firing and how the approach employees.

So if I make a book that says I believe people should have their legs cut off and hire a bunch of people to do my office work do I have the right to cut off their legs?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I'm not sure I can agree with you.

Assume there are no workers, that the Church is opening up a new hospital. The administration is saying "When you hire a worker you have to pay for insurance that covers contraception." The response is "But, supporting contraception, including abortifacients, is against our religious principles." "Well, tough, you have to pay for it, like it or not."

You see it is an attack on the Church, not the workers. The Church doesn't mind the worker having a choice, but they do mind being forced to pay for abortion drugs and contraceptives.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Yup.
Though your recruitment drives may not have a leg to stand on!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Yup.

So then you have nothing against the church of scinetology making workers sign contracts that force them to work their entire life like this women:
blogs.villagevoice.com...

There are also many other cases like hers.

Where does this dictatorship by employer over worker end?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Yup.

So then you have nothing against the church of scinetology making workers sign contracts that force them to work their entire life like this women:
blogs.villagevoice.com...

There are also many other cases like hers.

Where does this dictatorship by employer over worker end?

An employee should always have the freedom to leave. Forcing someon to work is, well, slavery. Regardless of the pay.
But a church employer has the right to hire/not hire and enforce their specific tenents within their scope of employ.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Why do you keep thinking that this is something the Church does to a worker? The Church doesn't care if one of it's workers gets contraception. It's not telling the worker what to do or not do.

Look at it another way. Obama is telling the Church that contraception has to be part of its benefit package, like it or not. He's telling the Church that it has to do something that it has not done before and is opposed to on religious grounds.

I don't know where the confusion is coming from. Could you explain it to me?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Put it this way.
Does the government have a right to force muslims to eat bacon?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Yea, EXACTLY!!!!!! They should just pray to their "god" or one of their MANY saints and this whole situation should be quickly resolved!! It says so in their little magical fairy-tale book that if they BELIEVE and they PRAY, it shall be done.

Well church, what say you? What PRAY you?

Prayer equals TALKING TO YOURSELF. Doesnt accomplish a thing except a one out of a dozen "miracle" which happened simply through COINCIDENCE.

Its funny how the acquaintances whom I know who pray the most are the ones who ALWAYS have the WORST luck. Maybe religion IS of the devil if the devil existed. It HAS TO BE the case!!

...i'll pray for the answer on that one... oh wait, its stupid to talk to oneself.

edit on 11-2-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Yea, EXACTLY!!!!!! They should just pray to their "god" or one of their MANY saints and this whole situation should be quickly resolved!! It says so in their little magical fairy-tale book that if they BELIEVE and they PRAY, it shall be done.

Prayer equals TALKING TO YOURSELF. Doesnt accomplish a thing except a one out of a dozen "miracle" which happened simply through COINCIDENCE.

Its funny how the acquaintances whom I know who pray the most are the ones who ALWAYS have the WORST luck. Maybe religion IS of the devil if the devil existed. It HAS TO BE the case!!

...i'll pray for the answer on that one... oh wait, its stupid to talk to oneself.

So because you don't believe in God, that means others shouldn't? I don't understand your post.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Wow.. Do you think you could get any more offensive to Christians, let alone Catholics? I'm sure something more could be said, but I think you managed to hit all the bases.
err...

I'm amazed anyone here is still debating this as an issue at all. Obama tried playing Star Trek from the White House by going where no President has gone before........right into internal Church policy. Well, he sure got his butt handed to him, and FAST.

If he has any grace or good sense, he'll just drop this whole STUPID idea and pretend this never even made it past the idea phase. After all, in reality, it hasn't yet. Nothing HAS to happen unless Obama chooses to force it at this point.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
When Catholic institutions, or any other religious institution, receive money from the tax payers and the government—such as universities that accept Pell grants and federally guaranteed student loads, private schools that accept vouchers, or hospitals that receive Medicare and Medicaid to continue running—then there should be no cap on what an employee can receive for health benefits, after all the employee is playing a large role in keeping the institution functioning.

Now, if being religious and adhering to mythological standards set in place 2,000+ years ago is your jazz, then by all means, ignore the option to receive birth control. However, because everyone in the nation who pays taxes are, in fact, keeping religious institutions operating or may not even subscribe to a religion in the first place, any and all forms of health coverage should be available to those who seek it out.

It blows my mind that these religious institutions (looking at you, large portion of Catholics) who've been taught by their Sky God to be kind to all and help their fellow brother/sister out can be so selfish as to deny someone who needs or wants contraception.

This issue is in no way denying anyone their religious beliefs; not even in the slightest.
edit on 11-2-2012 by duhdiggitydan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Obama as a President is unacceptable, period. Abortion, contraception, and sterilization are all sins, end of story. I will not debate the issue. There is nothing on God’s green earth which would make any honest Catholic comply with this ‘mandate’ and Obama’s alterations to it are not satisfactory. That he even thought this was something he could do baffles me. He had to know this was poking an already angry lion.

All those people who moan about neutrality of morality in government are buffoons. You cannot have neutral morality anywhere at any time. If someone in government proclaims they have some neutral morality to laws; that just means they have purely secular morality. Obama has a secular morality and wants to force it on everyone else. We are not happy with the already ongoing war on religion but this was hitting below the belt and his team knew this.

His best bet is to back up, pretend like it never happened, and try to leave it in the past. For me though, there is no forgetting it. Atheists/secularists may not like it (and personally I don’t give a damn what they like) but my religion is important to me, far more so than any country or law.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by duhdiggitydan

Then maybe you can answer me this; why is it that muslim schools (that receive government funds) are allowed to follow their religious dictates unimpeded, and it's just the catholics that are targeted?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join