It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity: What's the 'catch'?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

The important thing would be that Jesus, like the High Priest of the Old Testament System would present the best picture of who is being judged.

This ^^^ I like a lot. Very nice analogy.

Jesus is our advocate, the one who came here as an example of the perfected soul, the Master, the Ultimate teacher, who taught the lesson in the ultimate way, and is watching to see how we do.
God is the principal....

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

Not quite sure how to respond to that, you know, God being a good hater. Certainly does say a lot about our behaviour since we are made in His image. I can see where we come from now. We are very good haters too.!!
Pretty scary DNA there, since it was His essence or spirit that breathe the spark of life into all the things.
So I went on the web to someone, who knew more about God's hate than anyone else. ( that I know of)

You are right...! He really hates. The long list of killings in the Bible is so horrifying from the Genesis flood to the Hosea dashing infants to death into pieces and ripping up pregnant women. Its was like reading a horror novel.

But...God's day is long....so maybe He was just having a bad day back then.... Us.. we have been having a bad day since we got kicked out of the Garden and our know it all attitude hasn't improved either.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

If "it already happened in Matthew 21", what Jesus is speaking about in Matthew 23 is yet future. He uses the terms "again" and "until" both Christ, James, Peter, and Paul declare Israel's blindness is only temporary. And you are ignoring the fact that if God is provoking them to jealousy with the gentiles that means God still has plans to redeem them. Makes no sense otherwise.

Everything is conditional.
God would not just say, "Sorry, no more chances for you."
God leaves the option open but it is to be fair, it does not mean the option will ever be taken.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

. . . depart from me, ye that WORK iniquity.

The working of iniquity would not be the wonderful works, it would be the things they did in their personal life, beyond their public lives.
You can compare it to the direct accusation Jesus made to the Pharisee who made a show of their good works but at home they deprived their own parents of necessities by claiming their money was devoted to God.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

You are right...! He really hates.

Well of course I am right....not because of anything I said, but simply because I post Bible verses to back up my claims. So the Bible is right, not me

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

. . . what have you DONE WITH CHRIST?

I'm sure there are a lot of things people do with Christ which they are not even consciously aware of.
You probably have an idea you are thinking of that is of a dogmatic nature but chances are it is not even supported by the Bible as something have to think or do to be "saved" and now that I am on the subject, it may be that a lot of people will be saved by just not having being saved being the driving force of what they do.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

Well of course I am right....

!!!!
Really !!!!
OF COURSE YOU ARE RIGHT?

Wow. There's not much more to say than that.
May I ask, what is your age? Your place of origin?
Just for demographic purposes of study.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I'm really "getting" to you aren't I? You going to be able to sleep tonight?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by KJV1611
reply to post by wildtimes

I'm really "getting" to you aren't I? You going to be able to sleep tonight?

I'll be just fine, thanks. and, erm, no. You're not getting to me at all.
I'm about to crash right now, and your contributions here are the....wow....farthest thing from "important" that exists in my mind.

Seriously? Are you serious??
yeah, erm, "no," bud. Like I said, neither frightened nor intimidated. But having a good time.....rolling my eyes and chuckling.....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

it may be that a lot of people will be saved by just not having being saved being the driving force of what they do.

I agree, there will be lots of people saved that way. All of the people who trust in Christ as their Savior aren't worried about trying to get themselves saved. They already know they are.

edit on 16-2-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

All of the people who trust . . . themselves . . . know they are.

Funny how no one in the New Testament thinks that way, other than the damned.
edit on 16-2-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

The Christian God is not the god of this world, That's satan. God is not the author of pain. You need only to lean on Him and put your cares, worries and fears to Him. And God Will Do That Which You Can Not Do Alone.

God gave us free will to choose proactively what our faiths and beliefs are in. If we choose Him... If we lean on him, and ask his help in our lives.... He will help us.

God doesn't choose to let us suffer, He chooses to give us free will. It is us that choose to suffer, for each of us are responsible for our own lives. The choices we make gear/steer our lives in a certain direction....

Even non-Christians on this board need to claim responsibility for their current state of affairs in their lives, and stop concerning ourselves with the lives of others. How can one help the less fortunate when our own lives are messed up. Change yourselves, THEN reach out and help change the lives of others.

However, unless others want to or choose to have their lives changed---they will remain the same. Our help essentially disables them from doing for/caring for/being responsible for themselves.

The Catch of Christianity is peace. If you believe in a higher power( that most definitely exists, according to how I view the world, because living organisms cannot randomly occur in a nonliving environment without such a power present), you assume responsibility for your actions and strive to correct what is weak within your own character first.

The Catch is responsibility. Those who choose to believe in the absence of a God, don't have a responsibility or need to act a certain way towards other people (for the most part, not stereotyping here just generalizing). Without belief in a higher power of any variety, a higher authority one will not easily submit to Earthly authority.

Christians need to submit to both Earthly and Higher Authority in their lives. And thus the giving of time, money and other talents.... not because those actions will GET us God's love, but because we are ALREADY loved and we are rejoicing in that Love.

I ramble and digress so I'll end here.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

All of the people who trust . . . themselves . . . know they are.

Funny how no one in the New Testament thinks that way, other than the damned.

No, what's more funny is you edited my post to make it appear I said something I never said. Deception is not a fruit of the Holy Spirit Jmdewey60. By the way, the dammed don't trust in Christ as their Savior, that's why they're damned. You should know that.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Jon 3:18

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Oh and btw the "not condemned" in the above verse is a double negative in the Greek. In English that's improper sentence structure, but in the Greek it demands emphasis. It's like saying "never, never, never, never, never condemned." I'm not a Greek expert, but I read books from people who are.

That's a Greek freebie.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

. . . you edited my post to make it appear I said something I never said.

Seems I may have been a bit selective in my editing.
Good thing you caught that!
That would be horrible if anyone ever though that you could be so confident about your salvation!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The gospel is simple, we just trust Jesus. When He said "It is finished!", He meant that. He saved us, we trust Him as our Savior. We believe in Him and we follow Him as our Lord. Everyone wants to add something to the gospel, which Paul lays out perfectly in 1 Corinthians 15. That Jesus died according to the scriptures, was buried, and rose again according to the scriptures.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

. . . you edited my post to make it appear I said something I never said.

Seems I may have been a bit selective in my editing.
Good thing you caught that!
That would be horrible if anyone ever though that you could be so confident about your salvation!

Yes, I'm confident because I know in whom it rests. In Him. And trusting in His Word. Read Romans 8 sometime, or Galatians.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rschmfem

That's all true , and makes sense. But the problem is your talking to christians here .

You see these christians never reasoned them self into this position . How can you reason them out to see , they need to change them self first before , trying to preach to others.

The funny thing about christians , is they all think they know who jesus was , what he wants , and how to interpert the bible. Even though the mass amounts of contradictions are brushed under the carpet , they cherry pick the verses they like and roll with it .

Blind faith at its finest. You would ask them , god gave you a brain to think , reason , and problem solve. Now you have a totally shattered book known as the bible. Yet you continue to think god would make so many mistakes and inspire such a book. Makes no sense. But they follow it anyway.

Why?

Simple, They get a "mental masterbation" if you will of jesus . They think they are chosen ones , who are here to spread the gospel and word of jesus , to the world , for our salvation.

Even though they can't even agree amongest them selfs , about what to do . lol
Hippocrates , double standards , and blind faith .

Kinda like our government shills.
Jesus is not son of god , Jesus is not god. Jesus is no authority .
only god is. but these people are to busy idolizing jesus , they forget who created jesus.

No wonder christianity in shambles today and in sects , god is pretty mad at ya'll

But i can't expect them to see that basic point , they "feel" jesus

If jesus comes back today , you christians and other sects are going to be very dissapointed. I wish i could see all your faces on judgement day when you stand before god , and say but the bible said....

god reply : bible is filled with 10000 contradictions you fool, did you really think i would inspire mistakes? It's tainted . If i wanted you to be dumb like animals and not critical think i would've made you one.

then the christians will stand with there mouths open , and wonder where they went wrong.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

By the way, the dammed don't trust in Christ as their Savior, that's why they're damned.
There is a such thing as a false hope.
This is what the verse you quoted is talking about.
The Jews trusted in God, meaning they trusted in their relationship with God.
They were the chosen, the elect and all they had to do was to wait on Him.
Then God would redeem them, then after that, had it made.
Jesus messed up that scenario where he came and said you must believe in me, which is a higher calling, to where they could no longer rely on that former election and had to do works, starting with believing in him and his message of a spiritual law more demanding than the written Law on which they based the proof of their foundational calling.

We have to accept the same challenge Jesus made to the Jews as applying to us, even though we see ourselves as being members of the church, which we know was called from the world, and was given the first fruits, so many centuries ago. We can not trust on the earlier assurances made to our founding fathers, and we need to do a work ourselves, the same one demanded by Jesus so long ago:
John 3:21
. . . the one who practices the truth comes to the light, so that it may be plainly evident . . .

to live in a virtuous manner, and not as we did, when we did things that were evil.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Absurd. The Jews of his day were looking for the coming of the Moschiach Nagid who would redeem them. We look back to what Christ did and the people before Him were looking forward to the Messiah. Those who believe will never be condemned and those who do not believe are condemned already.

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join