It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity: What's the 'catch'?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
There's obviously a lot of hatred for Christians on this board, and many people are intolerant to other peoples' religious beliefs, and would more than likely respond with an ad hominem or other immature response, so I'll keep this short.

Anyways, I'll assume you, the reader, are not a Christian; or follower of Christ, or child of God, etc.. Under that assumption, answer me this simple question -

What is the CATCH of Christianity?

Not a single one of you can say that there actually IS a catch; because there is none.

The basic premise of Christianity is this - We are sinners, God gave us the law, man failed to follow it, He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross as a living sacrifice (being perfect and committing no sins), to carry the burdens and sins of the world on his shoulders, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

That's it, believe in Jesus, and you're saved. No, you don't have to go to church, you don't have to give 80% of your paycheck to your nearby church, you don't have to do anything. Just believe.

Want proof? The thief on the cross.

Luke 23:42-43
Then he [the thief] said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

That's it. The thief was a sinner all his life, all up until they crucified him. He wasn't brought down and baptized, he wasn't told to do this or that, all he did was confess his faith that Jesus was the Son of God, and he is now living in eternal paradise.

So, I ask you again - What's the catch?
edit on 11-2-2012 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I consider myself a Christian but I do not go to church as churches make it seem like there is a catch and are very judgmental.

I feel bad for not going to worship in a church but I believe the church is not what God or Jesus had in mind.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ashtonhz8907

I'm pretty much the same. I go to church maybe once or twice a year, preferably non-denominational (Calvary), but in my household we talk about God all the time, simply learning, and because we want to. No one forces us, and the Bible does not say you have to.

Though what you say is true. I recently got invited to an Apostolic church with my friends' family, and.. wow. Horrible. Let's just say I got kicked out because I wasn't respectful enough. Lol.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The "catch"? You're the catch!

Latest census (2011) tells that there are about 2 billion christians in the world... give or take a few hundred thousand.

Each of them a catch.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

For me it's more like this, if god exists and it is in the Christian form I honestly think I'd rather go to hell ;/

Reason being is if god would rather show his face in Tim Tebows throwing yard average and not help the millions of starving kids who had no reason to be put on this earth if that's all they were going to endure.

So it's no offense to anyone who worships the Christian faith, its just MY OWN feelings toward it.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonhz8907
I consider myself a Christian but I do not go to church as churches make it seem like there is a catch and are very judgmental.

I feel bad for not going to worship in a church but I believe the church is not what God or Jesus had in mind.

When two or more gather in my name I am there with them.

I go to church all the time, with my kids, my coworkers, anyone who I think will listen. Am I not at church now? The church is not a building, we are the church, spread the good news and you are at church.
edit on 11-2-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
What you mean no catch ? lol

The catch is defying god , and calling jesus the son of god , or even worse God him self!

Now bible tells us god is jealous , do you really think he would want to be partnered up with creation ? Such disrespect to god him self.

If there is a god , then it should all be through him . Not his creation a.k.a jesus.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

I go to church all the time, with my kids, my coworkers, anyone who I think will listen. Am I not at church now? The church is not a building, we are the church, spread the good news and you are at church.

Thank you for the comfort. I do practice in my household with family but I find approaching people on the subject to be a tad difficult I only approach the subject when I notice they are fellow believers.

I do not spread the word as often as I should only to people I develop friendships with(I do drop the subject quickly if I see distaste), but as far as visiting an actual church I find the idea repulsive. Maybe I just haven't found one for me.
edit on 2/11/2012 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I know a catch (and I'm not a hater).

You have to die first to get your "reward". A big catch imho.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi

For me it's more like this, if god exists and it is in the Christian form I honestly think I'd rather go to hell ;/

Reason being is if god would rather show his face in Tim Tebows throwing yard average and not help the millions of starving kids who had no reason to be put on this earth if that's all they were going to endure.

So it's no offense to anyone who worships the Christian faith, its just MY OWN feelings toward it.

I always thought of it like this; God is not evil, and when one questions WHY evil exists, I tell them - Evil is a lack of God, just as darkness is an absence of life. The evil that exists in this world is not because God causes it, but because man has rebelled against God, and he has turned his face away.

Does not Jesus weep when we weep? Does he not feel the pain of all the children that suffer? of all humanity as they cry out? Why then does He not do something about it?

You could sit and blame Him, or you could ask yourself this; why don't WE do something about it? We have the FULL power to act upon it, and there are many who do so - the Red Cross, Churches, Missionaries, etc.. the problem isn't God, it's the lack of God.

Amen brother. I apologize, but as most "non-Christians" assume that Church is in reference to "that building on the corner where religious-freaks gather", I simply use that word so that they may understand what I'm talking about.

I do the same, however. I have Church right outside my room, when I speak about God to my family, for example.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

heres a video series you might find intersting
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ashtonhz8907

Nor have I. I will give you my opinion of why we reject the church. The New Testament says we are to live by the law of Grace. This means we are to accept God’s forgiveness and come back into a loving relationship with him. Through our relationship with him we learn to love and become like him.

This is what Paul means when he says dead to the law, for the law did not cause man to become righteous. The law teaches what sin is, and as a sinner you distance yourself from God out of fear. Grace allows you to come back to your father.

The foundation of the church in the New Testament is Grace that leads to Holiness. The foundation of the church down the street is the law. Tithing is part of the law. Since they teach tithing they teach the law. If the members stop following the law the church would collapse.

The New Testament church founded on Grace talked about people loving each other so much that they sold everything they had to support those who were in need. And the Overseers were actually commanded by Paul to work with their hands and not burden the church.

FYI the term overseer and pastor denote the same position in the New Testament church. And bishops were appointed to serve the Lord’s Supper.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
What you mean no catch ? lol

The catch is defying god , and calling jesus the son of god , or even worse God him self!

Now bible tells us god is jealous , do you really think he would want to be partnered up with creation ? Such disrespect to god him self.

If there is a god , then it should all be through him . Not his creation a.k.a jesus.

You do not believe Jesus is the Son of God, nor God himself.. may I ask why?

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

I know a catch (and I'm not a hater).

You have to die first to get your "reward". A big catch imho.

Everyone "dies", at least their bodies do. But actually, if you believe in a soul, an eternal soul, then technically it lives on forever in either Heaven or Hell. Since my reward is eternal paradise, I cannot wait for the day I die.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I think you will find alot of people on here are more or less against the idea of religion as a whole, one reason might be because believers of all religions tend to single themselves out by assuming everyone "hates them" and them alone while reffering to bitter discrimination against them... when in actual fact these people are discriminating against themselves by assuming everyone hates "them".

As with the opening in your post.

Religion to me, does not explain anything in the slightest and is meerly an opinionated and exaggerated view of the world due to a lack of understanding.

The catch? Faith is a lost hope.

As per the bible quote at the end, it is nothing but the word of man, a single man. It does not explain or prove aything.
edit on 11/2/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Maybe I’m a little crazy, or just too much wishful thinking, but I can't get the thought out of my head that the church down the street is about to collapse and the true church of God is about to emerge. The one without a building but full of believers who are all working together to become like Christ.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Also this, I don't like how people don't leave room for their god to be wrong. What do I mean by this?.. Well for instance god tells you to pray and everything and if it's in his will then you get it. Okay then why pray? I mean if it's in his will I will already get it wouldn't I? So if my grandmother dies of cancer then that's okay because that was what was in gods will but if the doctor busts his ass and actually does save her then praise the lord he is so good!

Why would god be a jealous god? Why would god need to be jealous? Like I said in the other thread, god cannot posses vanity, along with the whole idea of Satan. Satan used to be gods right hand man but he possessed jealousy and tried to take over right? Weren't angels perfect creations? Meaning angles cannot sin? Once again contradictions and never room that this book of theirs is filled with holes. Instead of considering the possibilities they just fill the hole with gibberish and tell me that I just have to have faith, never really answering the question.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
I think you will find alot of people on here are more or less against the idea of religion as a whole, one reason might be because believers of all religions tend to single themselves out by assuming everyone "hates them" and them alone while reffering to bitter discrimination against them... when in actual fact these people are discriminating against themselves by assuming everyone hates "them".
You cannot deny there are intolerant people in this world. Would it be wrong to say that Homosexuals single themselves out because they "think" everyone in the world hates them? Of course, not literally "everyone", and the same is true for religious people, not everyone hates them, no, but there are still intolerant people in this world, and they love to talk.

Religion to me, does not explain anything in the slightest and is meerly an opinionated and exaggerated view of the world due to a lack of understanding.

The catch? Faith is a lost hope.

As per the bible quote at the end, it is nothing but the word of man, a single man. It does not explain or prove aything.

I would stop using that term "religion" so loosely, as it can indeed cover a wide range of actual.. 'religions'. To me, I believe that all 'Religions' have some truth to them, and in particular, the Christian faith has proven accurate even to me. You don't know me, but my friends know that I am not one to walk in blind faith, and I question everything. It's a miracle I've gotten so far into Christianity if it truly is as inaccurate as people suggest.

However, I have a question I would like to ask you and this next poster (that I will quote).

Also this, I don't like how people don't leave room for their god to be wrong. What do I mean by this?.. Well for instance god tells you to pray and everything and if it's in his will then you get it. Okay then why pray? I mean if it's in his will I will already get it wouldn't I? So if my grandmother dies of cancer then that's okay because that was what was in gods will but if the doctor busts his ass and actually does save her then praise the lord he is so good!

Why would god be a jealous god? Why would god need to be jealous? Like I said in the other thread, god cannot posses vanity, along with the whole idea of Satan. Satan used to be gods right hand man but he possessed jealousy and tried to take over right? Weren't angels perfect creations? Meaning angles cannot sin? Once again contradictions and never room that this book of theirs is filled with holes. Instead of considering the possibilities they just fill the hole with gibberish and tell me that I just have to have faith, never really answering the question.

You know, I could honestly answer each and every one of your questions, and will share with you my opinion on God being jealous now - are you married? are you in a relationship? do you have children?

If your spouse were to look at another person in a way that they do not look at you, would you be jealous? If your children favored other role models over you, would you be jealous? Jealous is not a vanity; do not mistake it with one who covets or envies, God wants you for Himself, because He loves you. If you were married, would you not want your significant other to want you, and only you?

Aside from that.. May I ask you a question? If I answered all your questions, would you believe in God?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Thank you for the comfort. I do practice in my household with family but I find approaching people on the subject to be a tad difficult I only approach the subject when I notice they are fellow believers.

I do not spread the word as often as I should only to people I develop friendships with(I do drop the subject quickly if I see distaste), but as far as visiting an actual church I find the idea repulsive. Maybe I just haven't found one for me.
edit on 2/11/2012 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

It is always a "tad difficult" to tell people you believe in and live your life according to a fairy tale....

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Anyways, I'll assume you, the reader, are not a Christian; or follower of Christ, or child of God, etc.. Under that assumption, answer me this simple question -

Why do you automatically assume that the readers are not Christian?
I thought we all were gods children.

What is the CATCH of Christianity?

by catch do you mean what? A flaw? A reason to not believe? What?

The basic premise of Christianity is this - We are sinners, God gave us the law, man failed to follow it, He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross as a living sacrifice (being perfect and committing no sins), to carry the burdens and sins of the world on his shoulders, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

We get it. This is what you believe.

That's it, believe in Jesus, and you're saved. No, you don't have to go to church, you don't have to give 80% of your paycheck to your nearby church, you don't have to do anything. Just believe.

but of course this is highly debatable even among Christians who swear to be as Christian as you do. And indeed this debate has been going on for thousands of years and been at the heart of many wars and countless deaths and acts of torture. Is that the kind of thing you call a catch?

Want proof? The thief on the cross.

Luke 23:42-43
Then he [the thief] said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

That's it. The thief was a sinner all his life, all up until they crucified him. He wasn't brought down and baptized, he wasn't told to do this or that, all he did was confess his faith that Jesus was the Son of God, and he is now living in eternal paradise.

So, I ask you again -

So maybe this is the catch you ask for. You offer proof. Then you offer the old tale of the the if on the cross. The the if on the cross story which as proof depends on the bible being proof which depends on belief in the Bible which depends on nothing more than faith.

So your proof depends on faith. Proof which depends on faith is not proof. It is FAITH.
Maybe the catch is that you just don't understand this simple issue and then turn around and offer others guidence towards personal salvation, salvation which the Bible tells us we need.

Maybe the catch is you Christians.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Why would an all powerful GOD need to feel jealous, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join