It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Christianity so obsessed with 'sin'?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
A large portion of christianity's teachings seems to focus on sin.
It teaches that all people are born in sin, and that God who hates sin, will condemn everyone unless they accept that an innocent man was killed, to pay for everybodys sin.

However, those were not the teachings of Jesus. He never went on and on about sin. While he condemned the religious hypocrites and insisted that his people maintain a high moral standard, he did not make the shortcomings of man the focus of his ministry. Instead,Jesus taught about the Kingdom of Heaven. He discoursed about everyday living... how we ought to deal with situations and people. He taught people to stay focussed on God and not get too invovled in worldly matters.

This ocean of difference between the teachings of Jesus and that of the Christianity leads me to conclude that Christianity has little to do with Jesus and his teachings, but is rather, a web of sin related doctrines and ideas, constructed by man. With sin as its primary focus, Christianity's only use for Jesus is that of a sacrificial animal so they can lose their burden of sin

Now, I am not underplaying sin or trying to sweep it under the carpet.
Yes, sin exists and we need to be mindful of our actions, lest we walk into sin. But that does not mean we focus on sin to the point that we forget to live as humans. One should not discount the value of good deeds and charity due to misreading a certain verse that says righteousness is like filthy rags.

The bible comments on sin for what it is- that people are naturally inclined towards sin and that they make room for it in their minds and have the potential to act on it. It also teaches that its possible to overcome sin through true repentance and inner transformation and asking for forgiveness from God.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
To scare you into believing in religion in the first place. Take sin away from the bible, what do you have?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Since the first cant live without the second, I wouldnt call it "obsession" but rather "protecting my assets"

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
A large portion of christianity's teachings seems to focus on sin.
It teaches that all people are born in sin, and that God who hates sin, will condemn everyone unless they accept that an innocent man was killed, to pay for everybodys sin.

However, those were not the teachings of Jesus. He never went on and on about sin. While he condemned the religious hypocrites and insisted that his people maintain a high moral standard, he did not make the shortcomings of man the focus of his ministry. Instead,Jesus taught about the Kingdom of Heaven. He discoursed about everyday living... how we ought to deal with situations and people. He taught people to stay focussed on God and not get too invovled in worldly matters.

This ocean of difference between the teachings of Jesus and that of the Christianity leads me to conclude that Christianity has little to do with Jesus and his teachings, but is rather, a web of sin related doctrines and ideas, constructed by man. With sin as its primary focus, Christianity's only use for Jesus is that of a sacrificial animal so they can lose their burden of sin

Now, I am not underplaying sin or trying to sweep it under the carpet.
Yes, sin exists and we need to be mindful of our actions, lest we walk into sin. But that does not mean we focus on sin to the point that we forget to live as humans. One should not discount the value of good deeds and charity due to misreading a certain verse that says righteousness is like filthy rags.

The bible comments on sin for what it is- that people are naturally inclined towards sin and that they make room for it in their minds and have the potential to act on it. It also teaches that its possible to overcome sin through true repentance and inner transformation and asking for forgiveness from God.

Teachings of Jesus = Tool for enlightenment.
Teachings of the rest of the Bible = Tool for control.
edit on 11-2-2012 by ofNight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Sin is a lot like karma, it's a brilliant way to threaten primitive beings that lack critical thinking skills and empathy to do the right thing.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I think Christians believe that their sins are already paid for. Like those we may have committed, those we are committing and any in the future. Really, it's okay, just sin away, cause everything will come out alright in the wash. I have come to realize that is hogwash. If Christ set an example it was that he was sin free and we can be too. That he died to show us that this world is unforgiving to those who stand up or speak up for humanity and truth. He was strong enough to go to his death instead of giving in to lies and deceit. They killed him for it.

Socrates, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy and his brother. Malcom X, Tupac Shakur, most of the apostles, etc. Sorry about any spelling in this short list.

Modern organized Religion has watered down and changed the meaning of the word. And I mean all religions are misconstrued these days. Its a shame because people are waking up to the same sort of things today and if they turn to spirituality in the church, they quickly find that religion is full of lies and become put off by it. Hopefully those people keep searching and find the real truth. Within.

I don't mean from us but thru us. We all have an antenna straight to heaven as it were and need to tune in to that thru honest soul searching.

The kingdom of Heaven is within. Why do you seek it outside yourself?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
To scare you into believing in religion in the first place. Take sin away from the bible, what do you have?

Okay, I'll bite.

The point of Christianity is that; yes, we're sinners, God sent his Son to die for us, we believe in Him and we'll live in eternal paradise forever.

What's the catch? I don't see any.
The Bible doesn't say go to church every week, donate your money, etc etc.. "Ohh but you have to sell all your belongings it says so here!!!"

Thief on the Cross.

All he said was "Remember me Lord, when you enter your kingdom." And Jesus promised him he would be with him that day, in paradise. That's all he did, was say, "Remember me."

"WOW RELIGION IS SO STUPID LOL THEY'RE JUST SCARING YOU TO GO TO CHURCH AND GIVE YOUR MONEY LOL FOOLS NARROWMINDED"

Okay.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Why are you so obsessed with Christianity, and not other RELIGIONS? Bigot much?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
All he said was "Remember me Lord, when you enter your kingdom." And Jesus promised him he would be with him that day, in paradise. That's all he did, was say, "Remember me."

Yes and I had a theory about that...

Heaven just might be a soul prison that prevents us for going farther.
It might be exactly what it is, paradise. Ignorance is bliss.

I know for one, I will not try to go to paradise...I have this weird fear that my soul doesn't belong there nor hell.
There is more then that, at least that's what my guts tell me.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

God hates sin for the same reason you would hate your child doing drugs. Not because he hates his children but because they are hurting themselves.

Because man does not know how to love they teach the law. Jesus was teaching us how to love. Those that belong to him will listen to him.

If you are more concerned with loving your brother and this love for your brother is what keeps you from sinning against him than you have listened to him. Thus you belong to him.

Mathew 23:8 "But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers.

John 4:20 If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.

The bible predicted exactly what you are saying.

1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

About overcoming sin, I have never heard that sermon but your right it is THE WHOE POINT of the New Testament, THE ONLY reason for Christ to sacrifice his life for us. The whole New Testament is teaching us how to use love and faith to overcome sin. Even promising the believer that God will live in anyone who turns from sin and has faith in the message.
edit on 11-2-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Dear sk0rpi0n,

I don't get to see you as much as I'd like. You've made another excellent point.

You remember Jesus talked about sin and human shortcomings quite a bit, but you're right, sin isn't all there is. I'm sorry for any Christians who focus their lives on that. But as another poster pointed out, it is part of the equation.

If people think that they're perfectly healthy spiritually they miss the truth of their condition. Remember what he said to the Jews. After we realize that we have fallen short, then we can go for the forgiveness and new kind of life that Jesus made possible for us.

He taught people to stay focused on God and not get too invovled in worldly matters.

Living that life gets us to the Christianity that you want to see more of, and among Christians, that's what you see more of. Unfortunately, Christians aren't perfect. They screw up among themselves and among others, but the message remains valid.

If somebody says "I'm perfect, I'll do what I want and my spirit is fine," then there is nothing to say to them except to point out the pride, selfishness, greed and other sins that we actually have and are keeping us from the life we should have.

he condemned the religious hypocrites and insisted that his people maintain a high moral standard
I suppose I can understand why you think that:

that Christianity has little to do with Jesus and his teachings, but is rather, a web of sin related doctrines and ideas, constructed by man. With sin as its primary focus, Christianity's only use for Jesus is that of a sacrificial animal so they can lose their burden of sin
I'm sorry to hear that you have that impression. I know it's not true in my case, and I hope it's not true in other Christians.

One should not discount the value of good deeds and charity due to misreading a certain verse that says righteousness is like filthy rags.
Please remember that it says our righteousness is like filthy rags. The point is that if we do good just out of a sense of our own goodness and prompted by our own desire, that doesn't make much difference to God, but if we do it from a love of Him and His children, then we've got something.

Now, don't get me wrong, your understanding is very true and deep about many things. But you may have run into too many Christians who think you need to be shown that all men, including you, are sinners and need God's help. You may very well be past that.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I believe the truth is coming to the light. You are correct the message about Grace only is garbage. Yes we have been forgiven but if we want to enter the Kingdome of heaven within we must repent and follow Christ.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

The point of Christianity is that; yes, we're sinners, God sent his Son to die for us, we believe in Him and we'll live in eternal paradise forever.

Thats the part of christian beliefs that has no basis in the words of Jesus.

Like I said earlier...
Christianity has little to do with Jesus and his teachings, but is rather, a web of sin related doctrines and ideas, constructed by man. With sin as its primary focus, Christianity's only use for Jesus is that of a sacrificial animal so they can lose their burden of sin

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
oops. Double post.
edit on 11-2-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I never understood how the church teaches that if you don't accept god into your life then you will go to hell.

Wouldn't that mean that God possessed one of the 7 deadly sins? God couldn't posses vanity could he considering he is a perfect being could he?

Well no.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by Lionhearte

Thats the part of christian beliefs that has no basis in the words of Jesus.

Like I said earlier...
Christianity has little to do with Jesus and his teachings, but is rather, a web of sin related doctrines and ideas, constructed by man. With sin as its primary focus, Christianity's only use for Jesus is that of a sacrificial animal so they can lose their burden of sin

I don’t even believe that most Christians believe in Jesus Christ. They believe he was the son of God but they do not know what the Messiah, the Christ was believed to be by the Jews. The Christ was coming to reconcile all men to live holy lives, not just Jews and certainly not just those that call themselves Christians.

So if a Christian does not believe in the Christ (the savior of all men) will they go to heaven?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

If it's worth anything, this is how I see it.

If you know about God and are able to make a rational choice, His question is "Do you want to be My child, or do you want to go your own way?" If you choose to go your own way, and maintain that decision until your death, then He gives you what you chose. You don't go to be with Him, you go elsewhere.

(Note, this doesn't apply to babies or people unable to make that choice due to some defect. Further the Catholic Church teaches that if you don't know about God you can still be His child based on how well you follow the law and desire for Him that He puts in evereyone's heart.)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Why is Christianity so obsessed with 'sin'?

Because we know that we will stand before a perfect, Holy, and Righteous God someday. We know how much He hates sin.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Please remember that it says our righteousness is like filthy rags. The point is that if we do good just out of a sense of our own goodness and prompted by our own desire, that doesn't make much difference to God, but if we do it from a love of Him and His children, then we've got something.

Hello.
The bit about filthy rags needs to be read in context.
If all our righteousness was indeed equal to filthy rags, then why does God tell us to do good, over and over again in the bible??

I am not saying the good we do should be out of a "sense of our own goodness and prompted by our own desire". Not at all.

I meant, do good with the intention of making a difference in the lives of lesser privileged strangers we see in our daily lives.
An example... when you spare some money for a homeless beggar, not to be seen by people and create an impression that you are a "good guy", but rather... because you can see the plight of hunger in their eyes and because you understand that what you give him will put a meal in his stomach.

Jesus already dealt with this issue when he said we should not give in charity just to recieve honor from men.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Dear sk0rpi0n,

I don't want to sound all "gushy" and "sensitive" on you, but you've got a great heart.

I can't find anything wrong with your statement at all. Of course I bow to older Christians who have more knowledge of these things than I do, but you've impressed me.

You're quite correct that the motive of our giving is important. Love God and our neighbors.

Blessings, peace, and love to you.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join