It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastors wrapped in Torah scrolls: Outrage from Jewish Anti-Defamation League!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It appears that fundamentalist Christian attempts at Messianic Christianity, Christian Zionism or the Hebrew Roots Movement took a turn for the worst, as two controversial mega-church pastors found themselves embroiled in a Torah scroll wrapping scandal that caused outrage in Jewish communities.

Pastor Eddie Long was scroll-wrapped during a "coronation" ceremony that crowned him a "king" at his New Birth church on the 29 January 2012.
The shenanigans were led by Ralph Messer, a follower of the Hebrew Roots Movement.
Several other false claims were apparently made, such as that the scrolls were found in holocaust concentration camps, and that they haven't been seen for centuries, and the usual religious lies.

However, that was just the start of the scandalous behavior.
Rumor had it that female pastor Paula White (perhaps best known for her "inappropriate friendship" with con-artist Benny Hinn) had been similarly wrapped in the same scrolls shortly after Long on the 3rd February 2012.

This was strongly denied by White and her legal team, just hours before the clip emerged of her similar "coronation" as "queen".

How they handled it was just disgusting, and they tried to play the race card with Long (unknowing that the complainant was a black female).

Now what should one make of this kind of behavior, where people imagine that they are honoring another group with a real sense of tradition by blaspheming their traditions?

What a sham.
Yeah, fancy Hebrew names for Jesus and nothing to show for it but lies and deception.

www.thechurchreport.com...
edit on 11-2-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
But never mind the two self-proclaimed pastors.
Those types are well known.
What about Messer, the self-styled Jew and Rabbi wannabe?
Apparently it's a new trend.

Messer's traveling coronation show, with Long, White, and a host of other troubled or disgraced leaders is a novel way to put compromised pastors back in good graces with their dwindling flocks. I must admit, it is a good grift if these so called "preachers" are trying to get back control over their congregations. For Long and White, who both have lost considerable followers through their personal issues (sex, divorce, and financial problems), the desire to get their place of authority and power back made them throw caution to the wind. Chaining their lust for power to another huckster Messer, though, may bring more ruin. The outcry within the community of Christians and Jews has been fierce, and it will likely wound their crippled ministries even more.

Meanwhile, Messer has been trying to salvage his traveling Torah and coronation show by videotaping an hour-long attempt at a rebuttal to Dr. Wil Gafney's take on The Huffington Post, refuting the ritual from the perspective of a Hebrew Bible scholar. In his response, Messer referred to Dr. Gafney as a "unnamed male Rabbi" who perhaps had a racial axe to grind against Long.

You can't make this stuff up, people. If "Rabbi" Messer had consulted Google, it would not have been difficult to figure out that not only is Gafney a woman, but she is an African-American woman.

The remainder of Messer's hour-long video apologia was not an admission of being wrong, but consisted of a rambling explanation of why it was appropriate to do what he did: the scroll wasn't kosher, it was a Christian context, the audience didn't know anything about Judaism or Yiddish, and the video clip was taken out of context. Messer is not even Jewish, a fact he acknowledges at one point of the video, only to say later that he is.

www.religiondispatches.org... logy,%E2%80%9D_and_great_parody/

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I watched the video and I found it extremely cheesy.

Its also not the first time that Christianity has attempted to parade with jewish imagery.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Pastor Paula gets wrapped and rolled.

I mean watching this she could just be an idiot who gets very emotional.
It's forgivable.
But the fact that she lied and thought nobody would notice is just somewhat mischievous.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Not only that, but many Jews are not Zionists, and these Christians are spreading Zionism in its most hardcore form amongst their followers, and it wouldn't surprise me if Christian Zionists already vastly outnumber any Jewish support for the ideology.
Not that this is clearly presented, but it does make one wonder on where things are headed.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Pastor Eddie Long wrapped in Torah scroll:

The clip shows a ceremony at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia on Sunday, when Rabbi Ralph Messer of Colorado visited the church. Messer is known for working to incorporate Christian and Jewish traditions, also known as Messianic Judaism.

"It's a Holocaust scroll," Messer told the congregation, about the handwritten copy of Judaism's holiest book. He explained that it had been saved from Auschwitz, a Nazi concentration camp.

Messer instructed two men to wrap Long in the scroll.

"He's wrapped in the word of God," he said. Moments later he hands the scroll and other items to a seated Long, and tells the men to lift him up.

"He now is raised up from a commoner, to a kingship," Messer proclaimed.

The ceremony is being called inappropriate by some in the Jewish community.

"I was puzzled and distressed," said Rabbi Josua Heller of Congregation B'nai Torah in Sandy Springs.

Heller said wrapping the Torah scrolls around someone is not a Jewish tradition. The delicate pages are not to be touched by hand and there are specific rituals for those who are allowed to handle them, he said.

"The Jews who perished in the Holocaust, if that is indeed where that Torah scroll comes from, would have been horrified to see that scroll used in that way," Heller told Channel 2 Action News Reporter Manuel Bojorquez.

See clip in article.
www.wsbtv.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

and it wouldn't surprise me if Christian Zionists already vastly outnumber any Jewish support for the ideology.

Well, many christians are known to have a thing for anything thats Jewish.
Theres a good chance that they are also heavily into eschatology and apocalyptic prophecies, and consider modern zionist Israel to be a key player in prophecy.

In other words they seem to have a "use" for Israel... as a stepping stone, or a pawn for eschatolagical events to come to pass.

No Israeli state = no apocalypse

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Pastor Paula gets wrapped and rolled.

I mean watching this she could just be an idiot who gets very emotional.
It's forgivable.
But the fact that she lied and thought nobody would notice is just somewhat mischievous.

Must have been the smell or something... poor girl

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

It's also kind of far Eastern:

If the sushi rice won't lie down on the seaweed, then the seaweed must wrap itself around the rice.

OK, very bad metaphor, but for a moment I really thought of rolling some sushi tonight.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
A clip from Fox News, with various angles to Eddie Long's "coronation".
I wonder why Paula didn't get carried around on the throne?

Then I also wonder if there could be more arcane ritualistic purposes to the performance.
I've long thought that these pastors are deeply involved in the occult, and secret fraternities.

top topics

join