It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Santorum Declares war on Heavy Metal music

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Rick Santorum Declares war on heavy metal

For those of you who can't click on the link because you're at work or whatever reason, here is the article.

Rick Santorum has been on the offensive lately, but his target has not been Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney or even President Barack Obama. For the past week, Santorum has been using his campaign to take aim at an issue he feels to be the single most dangerous force in America today: Satanism in heavy metal. “If you listen to the radio today, many of these brand new, so-called heavy metal music bands like Black Sabbath, Venom, The WASP and Iron Maiden use satanic imagery to corrupt the minds of young people,” announced Santorum at a 10,000 dollar a plate sock-hop in Valdosta, Georgia on Thursday.

Santorum’s popularity in the polls has grown substantially since he began speaking out against metal and its assault on traditional values. He has spent much of the past week in the Midwest encouraging young people to stay away from metal artists and listen to performers like Michael W. Smith and Pat Boone. In a recent Gallup Poll, 87 percent of Republican voters think that the biggest problem in America today is “the demented bloodlust of teenagers caused entirely by heavy metal music.”

In the past, Santorum has accused heavy metal of being the cause of some of the worst crimes in American history including the attempt on the life of Ronald Reagan in 1981, 9/11 and the passage of Obama’s Health Care Bill. He stepped up his rhetoric in a speech on Wednesday when he implied that heavy metal is the cause of many forms of mental illness as well as lactose intolerance.

It’s probably not a coincidence that since he began his crusade against metal that his poll numbers have been surging upwards. Picking out a small and unique group, singling them out as “other” and using them to frighten the masses is a proud tradition in American politics. However, many commentators believe that his call for metal internment camps goes too far. Santorum has openly advocated the forced re-education of metalheads. They would be forced to endure 30 days of non-stop “values based” music that promotes the American way of life as well as the free market. In order to leave, they will have to sing the chorus to at least one Celine Dion song.

In response to Santorum’s metal onslaught, Mitt Romney officially denounced his earlier position of “tolerance towards all fans of extreme music”. This, in spite of the fact that GWAR played his inauguration as governor of Massachusetts back in 2003. But things have changed since 2003 and embracing heavy metal music is about as popular selling baby organs on Ebay or clubbing seals. Romney will need to begin pretending to be something else if he plans on facing Obama in the general election in November.

People need to stop blaming music and start blaming the parents who let their kids listen to the music and don't teach them the difference between right and wrong. Blame the parents who don't discipline their kids because they don't want their kids to hate them

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Wow. Yet another reason to hate Rick Santorum. He's a really big fan of war, isn't he?
edit on 10-2-2012 by targeting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
lol I swear sometimes the US seem to be living in the dark ages... one witch hunt at a time...

This is ridiculous...

link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower
Santorum has openly advocated the forced re-education of metalheads. They would be forced to endure 30 days of non-stop “values based” music that promotes the American way of life as well as the free market. In order to leave, they will have to sing the chorus to at least one Celine Dion song.

Is this some kind of summation of an article from the Onion or something? Or is the source The Onion? I didn't dig too far deeply into it, but that seems like it's a bit ridiculous even for one of the crazy Christians. The big thing was the Celine Dion song: having to sing "The Star Spangled Banner" would make more sense.
edit on 10-2-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

link   
O.o seriously? Venom, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath are new?

He does realize that they've been trying the same line of B.S. for decades right? Metal heads are stubborn people. You tell us you don't like us, we multiply. You try to force us out, we come back in ten fold. I don't understand why they have to beat the same old dead horse and expect anything different to come of it. If they want to attack something, attack the main stream rap scene that promotes women being a mans sex toy, or being put on a pedestal that doesn't need to exist. Metal inspires taking action, main stream rap promotes anorexia, drug use, and behaving like a donkey.
edit on 2/10/2012 by Cryptonic because: Iron Maiden, not Megadeth

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

edit on 10-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I seriously can't believe that people actually support this guy for president let alone even consider listening to his opinion.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower

I suppose Santorum never listened to After Forever by Black Sabbath?
SMH....... if this is a true article.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Where is Dee when you need him again. Tipper Under any cloak you still suck Metal for life! \m/
2nd line if needed

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Definitely satire. Nobody could possibly be that out of touch and be literate at the same time.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Venom, Black Sabboth, and iron maidon? Seriously? Nobody listens to that crap anymore. And Pat Boone? Wtf decade is santorums head stuck in? This guys a complete douche.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hey guys, it's a joke blog. It's a hoax, OK?

a 10,000 dollar a plate sock-hop in Valdosta, Georgia

In a recent Gallup Poll, 87 percent of Republican voters think that the biggest problem in America today is “the demented bloodlust of teenagers caused entirely by heavy metal music.”

In the past, Santorum has accused heavy metal of being the cause of some of the worst crimes in American history including the attempt on the life of Ronald Reagan in 1981, 9/11 and the passage of Obama’s Health Care Bill. He stepped up his rhetoric in a speech on Wednesday when he implied that heavy metal is the cause of many forms of mental illness as well as lactose intolerance.

Santorum has openly advocated the forced re-education of metalheads. They would be forced to endure 30 days of non-stop “values based” music that promotes the American way of life as well as the free market. In order to leave, they will have to sing the chorus to at least one Celine Dion song.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I read some of the comments on that page and there seems to be
a consensus that this article is not true, But if it is and that is the case
then maybe Mr Santorum you are bemoaning the fact that you haven't found
anything positive that you can whip your hair back and forth to,

Allow me Sir-

Your welcome....

edit on 10-2-2012 by BlackViolet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I don't know if I should be excited because of Santorum's interest in the dark side of the music industry or depressed that he is just playing us like every other politician out there.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I don't know if I should be excited because of Santorum's interest in the dark side of the music industry or depressed that he is just playing us like every other politician out there.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Wow, just wow. First of all thanks for this post, I needed a good laugh.

he implied that heavy metal is the cause of many forms of mental illness as well as lactose intolerance.

Yeah right, nothing to do with the fact that humans might not be supposed to drink COW milk? I wonder who got the idea to go down on some poor cow and start sucking it's tits... but I digress.

I love heavy metal music. Sure there are some bands that have questionable lyrics, but that is true for many musical genres (rap or punk for example). Anyway, most metal is not about lyrics, but about the music, the guitar melodies, rythms and solos, the powerful drum beats the heavy sometimes groovy basslines...

Personally, I can't stand Celine Dion, to me all she does is scream. To be subjected to the "treatment" he proposes would be cruel and unusual.

Maybe he should listen to other bands than Black Sabbath. Maybe some Steve Vai or Liquid Tension but he's probably the kind of guy that would play those backward to try and find some evil satanic message...

Maybe we should throw him in a mosh pit at a Sepultura concert.

Thanks again for the laugh op.

oh and one more thing, lets not hate him for his intolerance, that's what he wants: to divide. He should be pitied for his ignorance and lack of understanding.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I did a double take to make sure it wasn't the Onion. All the Google leads link back to this article. The ones that do have links, anyway. The ones that don't have snippets from the article. I'm not a Santorum fan by any means, but this is something someone made up.

link   

Wednesday when he implied that heavy metal is the cause of many forms of mental illness as well as lactose intolerance.

The above is found quoted in your OP and in the source below...

Source

This is a joke right?

This man cannot be that dumb?

I dont believe this

link   

These are dedicated to Rick

edit on 11-2-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
seriously that is the hardest i've laughed in weeks. Wow talk about being out of the current loop. Sabbath has been playing since the seventies, he just totally alienated himself from people under forty.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join