It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina accuses UK of deploying nuclear weapons near Falkland Islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Argentina's foreign minister has lodged a formal protest at the United Nations.

They claim that Britain has deployed a submarine with nuclear weapons to the area in violation of a treaty.

The UK is not really confirming or denying, but does say the claims are absurd !!!

guardian.co.uk, Friday 10 February 2012 18.15 EST

Argentina has accused Britain of deploying nuclear weapons near the Falkland Islands and "militarising" the south Atlantic.

The Argentinian foreign minister, Héctor Timerman, lodged a formal protest at the United Nations on Friday and showed slides of British military bases in the region, saying they represented a threat to all south America.

He said Buenos Aires had intelligence that a Vanguard submarine was operating in the area. "Thus far the UK refuses to say whether it is true or not," he told a press conference in New York. "Are there nuclear weapons or are there not? The information Argentina has is that there are these nuclear weapons." Quoting John Lennon, he added: "Give peace a chance."

What are the economic consequences if any ?

nuclear weapons near Falkland Islands ??

I wonder if Iran will cry for Argentina.

What is the real deal here ?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I heard on our MSM channels last week they had sent a nuclear sub and officials were being interviewed agreeing with the actions and it's a just cause... i know how bad british media is, and they lie about almost everything, but not much reason to admit this if it weren't true.

Honestly, being british myself i have no idea why the falkland/malvina islands are claimed as "british" it's on the other side of the globe for crying out loud. I would understand territorial disputes if for example the malvina islands were, lets say, off the coast of the united kingdom... but jeez they are in argentina's backyard.

I say just give the argentinian's their land back. Tory government huh, all they seem to do is write cheques to the bankers using tax payers money and then invade the falklands. Now why does that sound familiar? Oh because a falklands dispute happens everytime the Tory's are in government

All a big hissy if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Make no mistakes: The reptilian witch-queen E-lizard-beth wants a blood sacrifice of thousands of Argentinians for her Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1AnunnakiBastard

Make no mistakes: The reptilian witch-queen E-lizard-beth wants a blood sacrifice of thousands of Argentinians for her Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

I believe it's entirely possible !!

But does She want people in Argentina with Spanish names or people in Argentina with European names ?

There could be a blood differential.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
As usual, more BS from Kirtchners Government. The UK has admitted that either HMS Tireless or HMS Turbulent which are both nuclear POWERED are being sent down to the Falkland Islands to replace the current submarine that is on patrol there. Also HMS Dauntless, the Royal Navys latest Type 45 Air Defence Destroyer is also on its way down south to replace HMS Montrose a Frigate which is also on patrol. These patrols are routine and are always replaced with like for like approximately every 6 months.

To add, there is always a Vanguard Class Balistic Missile submarine on patrol somewhere in the oceans of the world. The MOD never tells where they are, like the USN never tells where its nuclear ARMED submarines are in the world. IF the Argentines have some military inteligence of a Vanguard submarine operating off their coast then there has been a serious breach of OPSEC ...... something I very much doubt.

If the Argentines could be trusted as the events of 1982 shows that they cannot, then there would not be a need for the Royal Navy to have a reasonable prescence around the Falklands apart from its Ice Patrol ship.
edit on 10/2/12 by Wotan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Could you in a nutshell please explain to me the whole UK/Falkland Island thing? I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.I could probably go find out myself but could you humour me just this once? Thanks.peace.
P.S. "If not that's ok.

edit on 10-2-2012 by mark1167 because: text

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167

Could you in a nutshell please explain to me the whole UK/Falkland Island thing? I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.I could probably go find out myself but could you humour me just this once? Thanks.peace.
P.S. "If not that's ok.

edit on 10-2-2012 by mark1167 because: text

To be honest, you are better off doing a search here on ATS as there are at least 4 other threads that are current about issues with the Falklands and there are many good ATS members who have explained the history behind the Falklands far better than I can.

Basically, Christina Kirtchner has been stirring the sh1t up for the past 8 months, more so in the past couple of weeks as the 30th anniversary of the 1982 Falklands War is this year.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Thanks. I will do a search for the threads you mentioned.Peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

It has to do with....wait for it....

RESOURCES

Argentina wants them but the UK has territorial control.

Most wars are fought because of this.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Argentine Minister Timerman making these claims is really clutching at straws. Of course a nuclear powered submarine deploys on a regular basis to the South Atlantic, but this will be an SSN not an SSBN and it is not nuclear armed. Why on earth would an SSBN be deployed near Argentina? An SSBNs missiles could strike Argentina from thousands of miles away. The concept is ludicrous as the UK is not going to launch SLBMs at Argentina even if she invaded the Falklands. Timerman is relying on Argentine Military Intelligence for his information and is being made to look like an idiot by simply being presented with a script and reading from it. Take a look at the video and watch the power point presentation of the 'evidence'

For starters the block/batch of Eurofighter Typhoons in the Falkland have an austere bombing capability. The later blocks/batch of Typhoons used in Libya have the most up to date capability. It will be a few years yet before the 4 Typhoons in the Falkands are returned to the UK to be given the full air-to-ground package. They can at best if pressed carry dumb bombs, but are purely based there as fighter aircraft armed with air-to-air missiles.

Timerman has obviously been given this script to read and it is not really his fault as he clearly knows nothing in regards to the military. The compiler from Argentine Military Intelligence is to blame here for making him look like an idiot.

Taurus missiles at the 06:56 mark.

The RAF does not use the Taurus missile. The Argentine Military researcher has simply lifted the image from Wiki. If he/she had simply scrolled down they would see that the UK does not use Taurus. Not even the Storm Shadow cruise missile is used by RAF Typhoons. The carrier of the Storm Shadow in the RAF is the Tornado GR4. It will be at least 5-7 years before Storm Shadow is deployed on Typhoons. Even the basic military enthusiast knows that the UK does not use Taurus missiles.

en.wikipedia.org...

Obviously the Argentine military is into conspiracy theories.

The Argentine Foreign Minister points out the HF radar at 07:56 in the video.

The HF radar is located at Goose Green and is NOT military. It is laughable that Timerman was presented with this 'evidence' by Argentine Military Intelligence!

The Falklands radar is funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). The radar is collaboration between the University of Leicester which supplied the masts, and BAS, which provided the electronic equipment. “The electronics come from a long-established BAS radar station which is currently being moved and rebuilt because it’s on an ice shelf which is slipping into the sea,” explains Dr Milan. “When the equipment came back to the UK for refurbishment, we realized that we could combine it with a spare set of antennas and temporarily establish a station on the Falklands.” The radar station was built with the aid of engineers from Leicester and BAS over several weeks at the start of this year and went operational on 14 February. It is based at Goose Green, a remote community which was the site of a famous battle during the 1982 Falklands conflict.

en.mercopress.com...

The radar joins the SuperDARN network and the data is made available on the internet.

What is SuperDARN

SuperDARN stands for Super Dual Auroral Radar Network. This network consists of over 20 radars operating on frequencies between 8 and 20 MHz and looking into the polar regions of the Earth. These radars can measure the position and velocity of charged particles in the Earth's ionosphere, the highest layer of the Earth's atmosphere. Because the movements of these particles are tied to the movements of the Earth's magnetic field which, in turn, extends into space, SuperDARN data provides scientists with information regarding the Earth's interaction with the space environment. SuperDARN is an international collaboration involving scientists and funding agencies of over a dozen countries ......

More info at following link

superdarn.jhuapl.edu...

There is also another SuperDARN radar operated in the Falklands and funded by the US as part on the international civilian project.

superdarn.jhuapl.edu...

Getting Data

superdarn.jhuapl.edu...

top topics

join