It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question About Hate For Other Countries

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this would be the correct forum to post this thread. I looked for the others and can not quite seem to find a place that fits well except here, as it does seem to be currently happening. If this thread should be located elsewhere, mods please don't hesitate to move it.

This thread is NOT meant to start any flame wars, name calling, bad feelings, or trolling for same. However, I DO realize that this can be a very sensitive topic. So Mods, if you feel that it would be better to not explore this topic, or you see that it's getting out of hand, please do lock it quickly.

Now for the topic at hand:

My father was in the US Navy for 30 years (I was in for 10 myself). We moved all around the US when I was a kid. At age 9, we moved over seas to South Korea where I lived for 3 years, then Bangkok, Thailand for 2 years, and finally Naples, Italy for 4 years. I also got to visit many countries.
I found myself facinated with the different cultures, languages, and the people in general. Every place I lived, the people there were very friendly. In Korea and Thailand, I was pointed at, and had my head patted a lot (must have been my red hair. In Naples, it was hard to not have a good time, as everyone would give me a big grin when I tried to speak Italian, and then would get free food as we talked about how much we loved each other's country.
Growing up, I was taught things like: "The people living in the USSR are not really bad people, it's their government that is bad."
I kind of took that to heart. I have never really believed that the people in a country are "all bad". I may not like what their government does, but the people in general are just as fun to "hang" with as anyone in my own country.

I have some questions for many of you out there, globally. I'm seeing a LOT of threads on ATS containing posts that pretty much come right out and say "I hate -insert name of country here-"
Said countries as of late being: The USA, Israel, and Iran, with a smattering of others here and there mentioned.

Listed also in those posts are name calling, stereo typing, and just general bad feelings all around.

So here are my questions for some of you out there, as I'd really like to know:

1) Do you ACTUALLY hate the peoples and their culture of said country, or is it it's current government / leaders and their policies you hate?

2) If you answered that it actually is the people / culture of the country you hate, have you actually physically been to that country for any length of time ? (airport layovers do not count, and more than 24 hours please. Also, only if you actually walked the streets there).

3) If you do feel a hatred towards the actual people, can you explain why?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Ex-military here (retired), lived in more countries than we have states. And have not hated a single one of them, and believe it or not(for the folks that think everyone hates the US), haven't run into except a handful of 'locals' that disliked Americans except for our innate 'entitlement' feeling when we are on holiday.

The biggest thing I heard from the ugly americans (that is what even us amercians called them) was how come they can't speak good 'English'. When yet most of these countries the local populace spoke english as a 2nd or 3rd or 4th language and they definitely spoke better english than the ugly american spoke of the local language.

-Zz

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
It seems like in 100% of the countries, 99% of the people would be willing to just get along and go along, the vast majority of which are content to leave others alone and be left alone except as through voluntary exchanges. The problem is that 1% that agitates, provokes, propagandizes, and organizes.

They convince others to follow which inflates the numbers, but few people are both malicious and organized, which is what it takes to really promote hate.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Hii..I can answer few of your questions

Originally posted by eriktheawful
1) Do you ACTUALLY hate the peoples and their culture of said country, or is it it's current government / leaders and their policies you hate?

Before pointing fingers at anyone else I will first point to my own country and say I dont hate any country but I utterly hate and despise my (India) countries politicians both from Congress (ruling party) and the more bad than them the BJP party politicians who are extremely right wing. I think my countries policies are okay but because of corruption they dont get followed however they still need to improve a hell lot. I hate many of my government policies. Yes, I hate some people of my country who openly disrupt civil sense, dont follow rules and regulations, believe in asking and giving bribes and are menace to society such as goons (specially from the political party of BJP) who tease girls and couples near Valentines day, they break pubs and bars if they see girls going in them etc. I hate some things about my (Indian) culture too specially the ultra conservative thing followed in many homes in rural areas.

Now coming to your question, I dont like the foreign policy followed by US. United States was my favourite country in everything before 9/11 and that is inherently true coming from my heart. I just loved it. But when US started attacking other countries after 9/11 I didn't like it. I even dropped my scholarship I received to study in Hawaii in US as a means to protest which I know some may find silly. My brother and many cousins are studying and working in US and have called me there many times too but I declined.

I utterly hated Bush but since time have gone by I dont have strong feelings for him as I used too but still I dont like him at all..he's like the politicians we have in BJP party. I think what he did was evil and for greed for money. I still dont appreciate the foreign policies followed by US and I hope it will change it back to old days when it was so cool. When Obama was elected I hoped he would bring change but since time has passed by I realised he was just lighter version of Bush. I also found that Obama hands have been tied by the US congress so even if he wants he cant do much. I dont know much about any other politicians of US except few I hear about like Romney, Santorum, Ron Paul etc. Of them I dont like anyone except Ron Paul who seem like a okay person but you can never tell.

I used to work in Hotels and have met many people allover the world. I found Americans pretty cool and easy going and I liked interacting with them. There was only one time I faced racial slur from 4 Americans marines who came to stay in the hotel I worked in which I found distasteful and yes obviously I didn't like them. They were in their uniforms so thats how I know they were marines. I would have had them thrown out of our hotel if they would've continued. Having said that I also met a old American lady who resembled like my grandmother who passed away few days before I met her. She was so sweet and I loved her and saw my grandmother in her which I told her after it brought tears to my eyes when she asked me whats up. It was funny but I still couldn't forget her till this day.

Having known the American people and culture through working in Hotel I liked them and they seem pretty cool. I have no complaints against them at all but the govt. policies are distasteful.

I hope I answered your question entirely, if you want to know more just ask.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Ek Bharatiya because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
American here.

I studied at Oxford University for a time, and found the Brits easy-going and friendly (but sorry, Brittish food is awful).

Traveled to several European countries, including France, Germany, Austria, Sweden, and Greece. Loved my time in each country and everyone was wonderfully friendly and helpful. I didn't know the languages (it was a blitzkrieg trip) but everyone seemed to appreciate my attempts to use a few local words. I really enjoyed my time overseas.

I, too, have noticed the 6tendency to villify an entire country or group of people. I noticed it in the USA after 9/11, especially towards Muslims. To a certain extent, that has subsided, but there is definitely still a wariness towards Muslims.

I'm a schoolteache in the South. I teach first grade, and my school is completely integrated. In my classroom I have 5 Hispanics, 3 bi-racial students, 4 African-Americans, and 6 Caucasians. These kids have no idea that they are "different" from each other. They play together, work together, and in general just love on each other all day long. It really gives me hope for our world to see different races mingle together so well.

IHowever, I have noticed a tendency in my students to comment harshly about Muslims or Middle Eastern people. Now they are just parroting what they've heard from home; they don't really understand what they are saying at this age. Which is why we make it a point at my school to study different cultures, beliefs, and countries. Whenever one of my students makes a sweeping generalization, we address it. In fact, starting in March, we are Skyping with a classroom from Pakistan. Can't wait!

One more thing, kinda off topic but I'll share nevertheless. I use ATS in the classroom a lot. Just yesterday, (Friday), we took a close look at the Chinese "dragon" photo. At first the kids were convinced there was a real dragon in the photo. But what a wonderful critical thinking exercise! We eventually decided it was most likely a hoax (no concrete proof, but I didn't want 6 yr olds going home scared).

Great thread...S&F

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Yes, I hate Americans, America, and every single aspect of American culture.

2) If you answered that it actually is the people / culture of the country you hate, have you actually physically been to that country for any length of time ? (airport layovers do not count, and more than 24 hours please. Also, only if you actually walked the streets there).

Yes, I went across your country on a Greyhound bus and visited many cities on the East Coast and Midwest.

3) If you do feel a hatred towards the actual people, can you explain why?

Your government and people funded terror in my country for 40 years, you blackmailed us into giving up our national pride, you stitched us up in Suez, and refused to offer direct support in the Falklands and you have the nerve to expect us to assist you in your own wars. Your government ripped us off on military equipment with interest rates so high we only finished paying it off a few years ago. Your government has abused our trust and people more than any other, for that, I fail to see how you can be anything other than our national enemy.

Originally posted by smyleegrl
American here.

I studied at Oxford University for a time, and found the Brits easy-going and friendly (but sorry, Brittish food is awful).

We are "British", at least spell our nationality correctly, not that it matters because in my eyes, Americans will never be welcome in my nation under any circumstances.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nocollegeonsunday

OMG, you really are something aren't you, your not a very good reflection of British people. Why would you not welcome our American cousins here. Of course they are welcome, as long as no one means any harm all should be welcome, we have a great country to show off. There will be lots of people here for the olympic games. What are you going to do when all those people come to visit?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

edit on 11-2-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I work in Home Renovations.
There is not a Religion, Sexual Preference, Colour , Race , Creed I haven't done work for. (I'm Old)

It is from my experience I can tell you, people are all the same....

They want a better life for their children, complain about taxes, and are all good at heart.

There is no Bogeyman Country, No Underlying Evil group of people.

People want a better life , and to live peacefully.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think it makes a difference if you have travelled and seen how others live and how alike we all are with the humanity we all share. I feel very lucky to have travelled and seen other countries and cultures, it definitely enriches life.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I don't believe you.

Then you would have to hate every culture that represents America,

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I don't believe you.

Then you would have to hate every culture that represents America,

There is no existing culture that actively represents America. The cultures kept alive in America are remnants of ancient practices and tradition. This is a blessing as it separates your nation from us,

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
[

American here.

We are "British", at least spell our nationality correctly, not that it matters because in my eyes, Americans will never be welcome in my nation under any circumstances.

Sorry I misspelled a word. It happens.
Glad I didn't meet anyone with such hatred in my time in your country, or in other countries.

It must be really unpleasant to live with such hate. I hope you work it out somehow.

edit on 11-2-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Sorry I misspelled a word. It happens.
Glad I didn't meet anyone with such hatred in my time in your country, or in other countries.

It must be really unpleasant to live with such hate. I hope you work it out somehow.

edit on 11-2-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

It must be really unpleasant to know that you come from a country that stitches up, bombs and destroys it's own allies.

Hatred doesn't sum up what I feel about you people

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

where are you from?

definetely not Brighton and please dont come here!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by azulejo

where are you from?

definetely not Brighton and please dont come here!

Brighton? The city of [PC-SNIP] and crackheads, you're welcome to that #hole. I come from Surrey.
edit on 11-2-2012 by nocollegeonsunday because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2012 by nocollegeonsunday because: Wouldn't want to cause offence now would we?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Darling let me tell you I own a business in your country and I am a proud Immigrant who brings wealth here. I pay taxes with pride because then I don't fell bad about the public services.

I ahve been to 4 continents an my goal is to, at the end of the year go to somewhere I have never been and I am grateful that I can do it.

But, people like you are a small minority. Unfortunately this ignorant hate is growing and it is not stoppable.

You are just a Chavvy chav. I feel bad for you

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Surreyyy!!!!!!!!!!

It all makes sense now!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join