It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shyness, grieving soon to be classified as mental illness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
A new edition of an international diagnostic manual is apparently targeting seemingly normal behaviors as new "mental illnesses" !!!!!

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has new catagories.

In a damning analysis of an upcoming revision of the influential Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), psychologists, psychiatrists and mental health experts said its new categories and "tick-box" diagnosis systems were at best "silly" and at worst "worrying and dangerous."

Some diagnoses - for conditions like "oppositional defiant disorder" and "apathy syndrome" - risk devaluing the seriousness of mental illness and medicalising behaviors most people would consider normal or just mildly eccentric, the experts said.

"Many people who are shy, bereaved, eccentric, or have unconventional romantic lives will suddenly find themselves labeled as mentally ill," he said. "It's not humane, it's not scientific, and it won't help decide what help a person needs."

AND,

At the other end of the spectrum, the new DSM, due out next year, could give medical diagnoses for serial rapists and sex abusers - under labels like "paraphilic coercive disorder" - and may allow offenders to escape prison by providing what could be seen as an excuse for their behavior, they added.

long article worth reading:
"Do we need all these labels?"

Looks like the "experts" and "professionals" have gone hog wild with this....

It must be a money agenda.

Any "new" drugs or treatments in the works ??

Who Is Really Crazy Here ??

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ummm.... Why do we need to keep inventing new conditions and diagnosis? It must be about the designer drugs. Nothing else makes sense. I believe people have always called this depression and found that diagnosis to be a perfectly reasonable one. Why wouldn't it still be? Hmmm... 'Treatment of grieving' can be slapped on something that depression can't. Ugh....

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
All of these labels are ridiculous. It takes time and help away from individuals who really need medication and mental assistance.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yes, that's exactly what someone who's shy around women and depressed because he's single needs to hear from a doctor "Yup, your mentally Ill. Here's your straight jacket and box of pills and your padded room is just down that long empty hallway." All paid for by Obamacare I'm guessing....

edit on 10-2-2012 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well then, I suppose I need to rush over to the doctor's office and pick up some medication since I'm extremely shy in person. NOT! I've dealt with my shyness my entire life and it's never once caused me any major issues. I can work in and around the public just fine, I prefer to keep to myself but I can get along with others.

This is the perfect way for them to advertise and suggest more drugs to put into our bodies. I'm sure if this passes and my shyness becomes a mental illness I can't just refuse "treatment" either. After all, I would be mentally ill, so I probably shouldn't be in control of my own affairs, right?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is part of the assault on our liberties. Remember, if you are declared "mentally ill", you cannot purchase or own a firearm.
Just one example.
They are attempting to put us all in a cage, one way or the other.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by itsallamile

Exactly, it seems like more of a ploy to drug society than to actually treat society.

Will individualism be a mental illness, next? Madness.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ive read something about this before somewhere.It seems like TPTB think any state of mind that is not in line with their doctrine will be classed as a disorder. This is just the start. And stinks of big Pharma to me.
Next it will be soylent green served up in school cafes.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I don't see the problem here.

A diagnosis is only made if the described item inhibits a person's ability to function. A shy person would not be diagnosed. A person who is so shy that they are unable to pursue happiness could use some help.

I would consider serial rapists/murderers/etc mentally ill.

The alternative is to say that a person who exhibits such behavior is mentally healthy. Is that what you all believe?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
As someone who could actually be diagnosed with shyness to the point it becomes Social Anxiety Disorder, it's difficult to get people to understand. Calling my disorder "shyness" is like calling a decapitation a "paper cut." It has consistently created horrible limitations and turmoil in my life. If nothing else, a little bit of understanding would help. Unfortunately, it's a hidden illness. People with no legs get sympathy. Not folks like me.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Put your tinfoil hat on for a second and consider the fact that DHS is watching social sites for signs of anti-govt sentiments and other types of anti-administration thoughts. So they find out who you are, decide they just don't like that comment you made about Gun Laws and now consider you a threat. So instead of following NDAA they just get some govt psychologist to say you have *insert mental health status here* and boom, your on Thorazine for the next 30 years not really caring whether you voted or not lol
Normally I'd say that's a bit far fetched, but i just don't trust the people running this country anymore lol

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I am so sorry for doing this. Really. its a serious topic. However the words are all dead on.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by roaland

The laws on forced medication are quite strict. While the laws vary state-by-state they generally involve proving beyond any doubt that the person is a threat to themselves or others. Even then the court order is only short term.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

didn't know the laws (hence the Tinfoil Hat
) i just really don't trust these people lol

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Psychiatry is probably the worlds most dangerous religion

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
GOD DAMN IT THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY IIALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS FUKIN PROFIT the drugs for these "mental diseases" will brobably cost a heaps and just make you some emotionless zombie
they have really crossed the line this time

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
As someone who could actually be diagnosed with shyness to the point it becomes Social Anxiety Disorder, it's difficult to get people to understand. Calling my disorder "shyness" is like calling a decapitation a "paper cut." It has consistently created horrible limitations and turmoil in my life. If nothing else, a little bit of understanding would help. Unfortunately, it's a hidden illness. People with no legs get sympathy. Not folks like me.

well that is a bit different but the article was very broad and your at the extreme end thats how i see it anyway

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That's exactly why. More "diagnoses" - more avenues to market useless big pharma garbage.

In fact, I bet they already have drugs in the pipeline to "treat" these "conditions". Man I really wish I could swear on this site.

edit on 10-2-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think you hit it on the head..they can more readily dispense those narcotics and mind altering drugs if there is an affliction they are targeting.

So they invent new afflictions so they can one day have us all on those mind altering drugs.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I too consider myself shy in social settings, but I found this analogy more fitting.
Highly Sensitive People

I think it takes all kinds to make the world go round, and naturally there are variances in our personalities and traits. I believe shyness that interferes with ones life should be addressed, with counseling or therapy, but not medication, imo. I think the world should be accepting and accommodate some of these type of people. There are probably exceptions for the extreme cases. Some people put a lot of thought into what they say and how they feel and this sometimes creates barriers between themselves and the more extroverted ebb and flow of things. I was a 'speak when spoken to' kinda dude for the longest time, and was very solitary, happily so though. I found like friends that did not live in a mostly reactionary state, and accepted me for who I was.

Now, if one cannot somehow benefit from shyness, and it keeps them down/depressed, they may need help. But don't mistake shyness for an ailment in general. There have been numerous shy people Here that have made great contributions to humanity, and were able to utilize their time in a creative fashion.
www.hsperson.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join