It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vipassana Meditation - as the Buddha/Mahasi Sayadaw taught it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
I never really learned any particular meditation technique but have been meditating for years now. Any of the various forms or "intents", if you like, seem to take me over at some point and this is how I have learned what I know. It was more like remembering or being reminded than exploring or learning.

My experience with meditation started while taking a course in Shaolin qigong. Meditation was used "in between", sort of. In between the movement phases, we would stop and clear our minds. It was then that the most amazing things started happening. Once, I felt myself turn into a huge wall of liquid metal or mercury. Then I felt myself morph into a waterfall. All the sounds faded away from me and there was this huge rushing sound and I felt myself pure water, spilling all around me. Then I became a tree. I had to look at my hands, I was so sure they were branches. This was all in the span of 15 minutes.

I asked the sifu what it meant, what had happened (completely new to it, I had no clue at all) and he told me that it was my imagination, that sometimes the brain gets confused blah blah blah. After that he was only the instructor to me. He was not a sifu in any sense.

I had quite a lot of other experiences too, but when I asked about them he would simply brush me off and tell me to ask on a Net forum somewhere. I never really learned what any of it meant. I just assume it had to do with elements of my being that needed healing.

Since then, I meditate more than I practice qigong. For quite a while - a number of years, in fact - I would fall into spontaneous trances, even while I was driving. One would think that to be quite dangerous, but again that would hold true only to those who do not meditate. Awareness is greatly expanded, not reduced, in meditation. It got to the point that I was meditating on some level or another at all times. Now I'm not sure where I am. When attempt a deliberate meditation, nothing changes. I've started to wonder if I broke something. lol

Any thoughts, anyone?

I am speaking from experiences. Since your initial background is Chi Kung which emphasizes the movement of the chi or kundalini energy, I think this energy is stuck during meditation. During meditation without the intent to move and circulate the chi energy. I learned this from reading Mantak Chia's Awaken Healing Energy Through The Tao." Is a very good book. I too used to just meditate, although I had my first kundalini energy experience some 15 years ago. Somehow, I wasn't moving this energy during meditation. It tends to get stuck in my head. Now, I meditate with the intention also to move and circulate the chi energy. I meditate during night and in the morning. With my morning meditation, I can experience "enlightenment" every time during meditation. At night, it is so-so, I say about 20% of the time. I am not sure why. It is almost like my mind gets so calm during a night sleep that my morning meditation becomes more productive.

First, I am not religious. That's why I like the way of the of Tao meditation. Here, meditation is nothing more than an experience, a sudden insight into yourself and your body. Only in my dream visions that I would venture into the moral and religious aspect of myself and the world.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Also, I am not sure how long you have been meditating. Let your visions pass along. If you have spent enough time practicing meditation, your attractive visions will be balanced by negative ones. Ultimately, it will become clear to you what visions you should take seriously versus those you should ignore.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

May Peace be upon you my brother. Welcome back from your travels. Thank you for sharing your experience and a sound understanding of the vipassana meditation. This technique of meditation can be done at all moments. It brings an incredible crispness and clarity to life. Star and Flag well deserved.

Discarding worldly attachments for a spiritual journey and placing your self in raw nature is a transforming experience. In remote solitude we are forced to face our true self. Deep reflections of the past arise. Regrets, pains, and yearnings. The paradigm shift gives way to doubt, fear, and worry. The seeker must draw understanding from the thoughts and emotions that arise. 'Impermanence' is a fundamental truth. I am looking forward to hearing more of your experiences and insights.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I too interested to learn and practice meditation, so that I found several interesting books on meditation in indikat.hubpages.com... for those who are interested these books will be helpful.

reply to post by seedofchucky

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join