It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Redoubt, where survivalists plan to survive.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I am not very good at making threads.

When I do, I tend to just start ranting because I have nowhere else to do so, my apologies ATS (my circle usually just roll their eyes and say well there he goes again
However, I found this article and thought I would post it because I found it interesting that the separatist/survivalist movement has advanced to the point that people are actually starting to relocate and coalesce outside of cyber space. These people are taking this stuff very seriously. They even apparently have their own special redoubt realtors ready to show you properties for your future enclave.

www.stripes.com...

A quote or two for substance for all you mobile phone folks:

The guru of the movement is James Wesley Rawles, a former Army intelligence officer and author of the bestselling novel “Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse.”

Rawles...started what has become one of the country’s most widely read survival blogs, which claims to attract up to 300,000 unique visitors a week. He published one of the bibles of modern survivalist tactics, “How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It,” in 2009.

The understatement of the decade!

“Interest is growing. A lot of people have come here, and a lot that none of us know about, because a lot of them do it on their own,” Rohner said. “It’s a growing movement that’s not very centralized, and probably never will be, because these people tend to be kind of secretive anyway.”

So here you go ATS, you heard it here and its official; The American Redoubt: the rural high country of Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, eastern Washington and Oregon, your (hopefully not) new home away from home when the SHTF.

edit on 10-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Rural western washington is probably the safest bet.

If you have always lived here. Coming here unprepared and not knowing the ropes would seem like a God send in the summer. But then it would be a death sentence in the winter.

So are a lot of those high mt places mentioned. Some stay frozen for a couple months.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I was in Michigan, until 2 years ago. And there are places I could go there.

But I had to relocate to So. Ca. for work. And I have no idea what I can do here.

I think I am toast...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Wherever survivalist have gathered will be the first places to come under attack by the roving gangs once the food runs out. Not a wise idea in my book.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

I liked the book. Especially aboutlooking for gravity-fed water versus pump driven.

I'd recommend the book, ATS'ers!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

...found it interesting that the separatist/survivalist movement has advanced to the point that people are actually starting to relocate and coalesce outside of cyber space.

Back in the early 80's there was a "survivalist" movement with libraries of books, gurus, and relocation destinations that were the same then as now. I was heavy into it. I was young and full of it. I even took a vacation to Oregon to look for work. Back then there was a sign on the road into Oregon from California at the border that read, "Californians: Welcome to Oregon, now go home." Everywhere I filled out an application I was shunned when they read home address was CA. That was over 30 years ago. The movement back then petered out. Until now I guess. Same Survival isolation mode in the mountains, bunkered down with gobs of food, guns and gold.

Sure am glad I don't have to worry about my stash of that stuff nowadays. It's just personal, but I think that if World War breaks out (again), this time no place is truly safe. If there are initially survivors then hoards of food and guns are their primary target. I don't think I want to be Mowing down hoards of Zombies as it were, in order to insure my survival atop a blasted radioactive rubble pile. We all gotta go, I prefer to do that a little more dignified.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
MOst people will head for the hills where there are resources, forest lakes mountains and there will be alot of fighting over land and water so I will be staying right where I am Wyoming is the least populated state not much here could hide out for ever if you have enough supplies lol

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I don't believe a situation like this will ever arise but if it does I believe the best place to go is to head out to sea. Plenty of fishing and fresh water available if you know how and you will avoid the "hell on earth" that the mainland will be going through.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kenrichaed

I don't believe a situation like this will ever arise but if it does I believe the best place to go is to head out to sea. Plenty of fishing and fresh water available if you know how and you will avoid the "hell on earth" that the mainland will be going through.

Going to sea is a great idea.

I started a thread here

ATS Sea Steading

I can sail small boats, I think a 30 footer might be doable. But wifey hates boats.

edit on 10-2-2012 by kawika because: add quote

new topics

top topics

join