It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

research people research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I hate to be a stickler and I don't want to single anyone out so there will be no links, but I've noticed a lot of posts that seem to consider ATS a school rather than a discussion board.

I know a lot of the posters are young, but please before posting a thread along the lines of "Tell me everything you know about..." please, would it kill you to do a little research on the subject and discover for yourself and then start a thread to expand on your knowledge base?

I don't see how threads titled along the lines of "What is Area 51" or "The Face on Mars" which when you click on it the only thing the thread originator has to say is "Tell me all about area 51." or "What is the face on Mars?" is just lazy.

Do some research yourself before asking everyone here to supply you with links. Half the fun of the paranormal is self exploration and forming your own opinions.

Maybe we could start a section thats more of a teaching ground, but in the mean time I don't think it would kill anyone to do a little research before posting a thread.

Again, let me stress that if it is something really obscure and you can't find anything in your local libraries (public, scholastic or other) or on the web then yes a thread like "Has anyone else heard of these people?" seems fine to me, like the thread on The Finders which is an obscure group.

But seriously, you can find a lot of information about UFOS, NASA, MIBS, Ghosts, the moon, the solar system and lots of other things on the web before posting a lame thread asking other members to do your research for you is just lazy.

Then again this is just my opinion and I want people to learn, but not be spoon fed the information.

Am I wrong?

SPiderj

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
well if you want to start up a research project...

im in

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Hi, Member! Say, did I miss something? Im sorry I must have missed the U2U from Simon making you the Policy Police.

Hey Simon, whacha think about this? But yes, Spidie, more research, I agree................

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with asking for help in finding more information on a particular subject.

There are many persons on the board who are more than willing to provide assistance.

I have seen posts like the one he's talking about though and they were from people who did not seem to want to do any research themselves. It was literally a one sentence request.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
often, you can learn more by getting the answer FIRST and then inferring the rest than you do by trying to mentally "make the answer come" based on some info you're given. you see more of what's THERE.

so, maybe giving students the answers right away is not something to get so antsy about. once they've been acquainted with alternative learning methods, i think it'd make things run more smoothly.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Obviously people belief that ATS HAVE very reliable sources for information and they prefer to get their research from this site.

I see this as a plus for the discussion boards not a minus.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Hi, Member! Say, did I miss something? Im sorry I must have missed the U2U from Simon making you the Policy Police.

I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was taking it upon myself to patrol ATS, but as a member I do believe it is my right to ask the question.

I have seen posts like the one he's talking about though and they were from people who did not seem to want to do any research themselves. It was literally a one sentence request.

Those are the exact posts I'm talking about.

Obviously people belief that ATS HAVE very reliable sources for information and they prefer to get their research from this site.

I don't disagree with this at all. But they're not really getting research, they're getting different peoples opinions based on their specific research and experiences, they are not doing the initial investigation themselves.

I am very happy to help people looking for information and like to think I am helpful to those who are sincere in their requests for knowledge. But being curious and being lazy are two different things.

so, maybe giving students the answers right away is not something to get so antsy about.

Almost forgot this one. I'm more than willing to help, I would just like to see a little more effort on the part of the questor.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Did someone say "research project"?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

well if you want to start up a research project...

Did someone say "research project"?

Oy! How the heck did this happen?

What are we talking about here? A research project on research? Sounds fairly insane to me.

Could be a research project that sets about parameters of investigation ala Hyneck but for the twenty first century.

Man I've had way too much coffee.

I am not advocating a research project on research, that's nuts.

Spiderj

top topics

join