It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago City Sticker Dumped Over Alleged Gang Signs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I did a multi search and looked in new topics to see if this was posted.... sorry if it is

Source

The winning design, created by Herbert Pulgar, a 15-year-old Lawrence Hall Youth Services freshman, came under fire on a blog frequently read by Chicago police Tuesday. The blogger argued that the artwork -- which shows four hands held up in the air above a heart, a city skyline and symbols representing firefighters, police officers and paramedics -- referenced signs signifying the Maniac Latin Disciples, one of Chicago's most notorious gangs.

I was truly amazed that the city officials decided to disqualify tis 15 year old kid because of alleged gang symbols.

Chicago City Clerk Susana Mendoza announced Wednesday afternoon that a controversial design for the city's new vehicle sticker, which allegedly referenced gang signs, will be dumped in favor of the second-place design from a citywide contest held late last year.

Why not give the kid the opportunity to change the hands... he may have drawn them that way because it was the most realistic hand pose he could draw...

The family's attorney, Blake Horwitz, said that Weis owed the teen an apology as he has suffered anxiety attacks and had trouble sleeping since the allegations surfaced, according to the Tribune

I know if it was me at that age and they disqualified me for something I knew nothing about, I'd be crushed...

So, I wrote Chicago City Clerk Susana Mendoza an email..... Her contact info

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Supposedly the kid's dad is a gang member, so I doubt that the kid is completely unaware of what he did.

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XY3nYcg2FpQ/TzGv1xYwrZI/AAAAAAAAkyE/e_HL6wEJoCc/s400/404253_253279141405951_100001716029226_635074_1132238233_n.jpg[/im g]

If the image doesn't work..
edit on 10-2-2012 by jessejamesxx because: ughh Why??

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ignorant officials, i see where it looks like he tried to copy the hands from on of the city's handouts.
The stupidity of our leadership never ceases to amaze me.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is sad, but if it does represent gang culture in the wrong light, then its got to be changed - Just think of all the gangbanger's that would love their symbols as the City's logo.

Look at this headline - we know where the Huffington post stands

Chicago City Sticker Dumped Over Alleged Gang Signs, Artist's Mother Blames 'Haters'

That's a sly dig if I have ever seen one.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Soapusmaximus

Haters goan hate. Aint no thang.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I do not understand why people give gang bangers a wash. They are not gang bangers because they want to help humanity. They are gang bangers because they wish to take advantage of those they perceive as weaker than them. If I ever have gang banger in my sights, I will take the shot without hesitation.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What morons, this is what is wrong , morons like this running things.
Now this kid will grow up become the leader of the gang, and bang dim all.

That one expert was so stupid he should go learn sign language, because that was not even close,on the hand shape form and the heart thing, what DA.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

OH YA!!! I can totally see the family resemblance...

...and not something he saw at school

I believe, what's really going on. is that someone decide they would rather portray the local fire/police/medics as Super Heros and started looking for ANY reason to be able to make the change

This is the 2nd Place drawing that they want to change it out for

edit on 10-2-2012 by FORMe2p00p0n because: Had more PooP to add & play around with

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Also found that blog you were talking about...

Second City Cop

Here's a Facebook (or Twitter) conversation a concerned citizen sent us :

Concerned Citizen??? HAHAHAHAH!!! I'm so sure... he propbably should of just said "Thanks to the Patriot Act, we were able to get this private information, no problem" and then I might have believed the rest of his blob(g)

I thought the conversation was interesting to say the least... so I jumped on FaceBeayotch and did a search for the following people....

Fml Leslie - Displaying top 0 results

Herbert Pulgar - No results found for your query.

Diamond Unkwn - Displaying top 0 results

Justin Pulgar - Displaying top 0 results

Herbert Antonio Pulgar - No results found for your query.

and did a search on Pulgar Chicago - Results

All I can say to this is...

1. Might be from Twitter
2. My search skills on FB suck... understandable since I rarely use.
3. All the information on his blog was forged or made up
edit on 10-2-2012 by FORMe2p00p0n because: Too much fun playing with poop

edit on 10-2-2012 by FORMe2p00p0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FORMe2p00p0n

I don't know about all of that, but the guy in the middle is white, and if you blow it up, he has some resemblance to the kid.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Oh that makes sense now...

A white guy in the "Maniac Latin Disciples"

....by the way this is the hand sign they are compairing it to

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Isnt everyone in Chicago affiliated with some gang?

Even uppity white folks in the suburbs will have relatives who are lawyers, cops, politicians, medics, etc... in the city.

The whole place is little more than a collection of gangs of one type or another vying for territory and control.

Nice of the media to plaster this kid and his alleged affiliation all over the place. Like no rival is going to seek him out as a high-profile target now? When he ends up face down in a gutter somewhere will the reporters apologize?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Anybody in their right mind would know that those hand gestures depicted on that sticker are associated with the Folk Nation. They call it throwing up the "Forks." The Folk Nation is an alliance of various gangs and that is countered by the People Nation.

I am glad someone caught it before this sticker went into circulation. The thing about Chicago is that people who own cars need this sticker, and by putting it in the window they would be indirectly supporting gangs. Furthermore, the city would be on hook for indirectly affiliating themselves with gangs by signing off on this sticker as well. Therefore, rivals would see the sticker in cars and could take it upon themselves to vandalize them or worse.

Of course this kid and his mother are going to hire an attorney and grandstand a little bit about the kid getting the snub. This kid new damn well what he was drawing. He tried to pull a fast one and got caught. He ought stick to drawing graffiti on his desk, locker, or on somebody's garage door. It is absolutely ridiculous this incident got as far as it did.

The mom and lawyer are going to do their best to make him out as a good boy like volunteering for community service, coming home before the street lights come on, carrying old ladies groceries, ect. What a bunch of nonsense! For those feeling sorry for this kid, and accepting a misinformed persecution complex that is being tossed around in his favor? Get a load of this.

Boy Who Drew Controversial Sticker: ‘This Picture Is Clean’

Pulgar did acknowledge that his Facebook page, which has since been made private, had pictures of him flashing gang signs, but he said that was a “stupid” mistake from his past. He admitted he’s been in trouble before, but claimed working to win the contest was his way of trying to turn his life around.

He is trying to turn his life around? Now that is funny?
I am sorry, but I am not buying it. I saw that picture, and I knew from the get go that it had gang connotations associated with it. That is just by first glance of the drawing, and before the media and everyone else attempted to fill in the blanks. You would have to be from around Chicago and the suburbs to know it. Just another incident of politicians and the City of Chicago asleep at the wheel and getting egg on its face. Won't be the first time, and certainly won't be the last time.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

You can be as snarky as you like. The guy with the gun in the picture is most likely his dad. If what's in his picture resembles a gang sign, it had to have been at least partially on purpose. I don't really see the purpose of having the hands there anyways.

Your annoying attitude is why this is my last post in your thread.

Sure looks similar.
edit on 10-2-2012 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

What's not a symbol of Folk Nation?

They've co-opted every gesture and logo under the sun from the peace sign and the Star of David to the Yankees logo.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Wow... really? so they pick something like this

Which I'm sure I don't have to tell you who these gang signs belong too

and it's not like the first time a government official hasn't thrown out a gang sign to be "cool"

Love the pic by the way Day of the Dead 85' is a great movie

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Sorry for being snarky... but you threw up a picture of a couple guys with guns and state it's his dad and they are gang members... I failed to see the proof of that...

Its a hand from every different race... I saw it as, that no matter who you are you always reach out to the heros....

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What you have said is besides the point. That kid knew damn well what he was doing. I am not going to show any sympathy whatsoever. He tried to pull a fast one and got caught. Plain and simple.

Practically anyone who was born and raised in the City of Chicago would have known right away that those hand gestures depicted in the drawing had gang connotations associated with them. As far as I am concerned, the drawing looked no different than what one sees on walls, in the bathroom at a gas station or bar, or on someone's garage. If you want to give this kid the benefit of a doubt? Then by all means. I am just happy the city pulled the plug before the stickers went into circulation. Just my observations. Thanks for the reply!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I don't care what drawing they pick, but just as long as it is not the first one. The drawing with the super heroes and the "Black Fist," of the Black Panther movement is stretching it. You can string things together whatever way you like.

However, those hands in the first drawing look a heck of a lot like pitch forks to me? Then you mention throwing up gang signs is trivial and everybody is doing it to be "cool?" I would not advise it, because someone is going to check a person exhibiting that behavior sooner or later. Gang member or not. People get killed over it. With all due respect, your logic seems flawed? By all means give the kid a pass, but I won't. Thanks for the reply!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I don't care what drawing they pick, but just as long as it is not the first one. The drawing with the super heroes and the "Black Fist," of the Black Panther movement is stretching it. You can string things together whatever way you like.

Hey man, to each his own, you say I'm stretching it... but the hand he drew looks like it was traced from the "Teaching Children How to Succeed" pamphlet (I posted it above...along with the pitchfork hand signal).

Then you mention throwing up gang signs is trivial and everybody is doing it to be "cool?"

Actually I didn't say anything of the sort.... if you look closer at that picture, right smack dab in the middle is George W. Bush throwing up a gang sign, and speculated that he was doing it to be cool (you know... the ex-president of the USA).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join