It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Canadians want the death penalty back

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jondave
Pictons victims where prostitutes. Bernardo killed innocent teens. Bernardo is far worse than Picton. Prostitutes get into a risky lifestyle. Both bare very bad but in my opinion, Bernardo is the one who should be executed first.

You're kidding, right? Prostitutes knowingly subject themselves to the possibility of brutal murder, as part of their profession? That's something a woman should expect as a potentiality while turning a trick?

I do hear you saying that both are very bad, and I hope I'm not sounding like I'm jumping on you. I just find your notion a little unsettling. There are any number of things that might cause a woman to turn to prostitution as a means to support herself. They are still no less deserving of all the protection, and, in the case of them falling victim to foul play, retribution, that our society has to offer them,

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Pictons victims where prostitutes. Bernardo killed innocent teens. Bernardo is far worse than Picton. Prostitutes get into a risky lifestyle. Both bare very bad but in my opinion, Bernardo is the one who should be executed first.

You do realize that at least 19 women were murdered on Pickton's farm, possibly dozens more, that they were put through a woodchipper and what was left of them was fed to the pigs, what was found left of them were bits and parts found in buckets.

Two women were trying to track down a missing friend and relative and were tipped off to the location by a 'woman living on the streets' this woman also ended up being put through the woodchipper. The police were tipped about 3 yrs in advance and did virtually nothing. Perhaps they knew and didn't care. These precious women were people's daughters, mothers and sisters. They are deeply mourned to this day by those who loved them. I find your comment offensive and disturbingly judgemental. It is this kind of attitude that leads to the kind of indifference shown by the police in the Pickton case.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
I cannot fathom or comprehend the hypocrisy and irony in murdering someone for murder someone. It makes no sense.

It makes no sense?

It makes perfect sense to me. When an animal has tasted human flesh, it will only want more. The only solution is to kill it or it will kill more people. The same is for murderers.

And let me make this clear: there are different kinds of murderers. Some kill to make money, some kill because they don't restrain themselves from crossing the line, and others kill because the get off on it. The latter group deserves to be executed because they pose a serious and uncompromisable threat to society. The middle group needs proper "motivation" to be reformed. The first group should be working for the government.

And yes, I am a Canadian who fully supports the death penalty. I support it for two types of people: those who represent a serious and unchangable threat to society, and traitors. And just for the record, I am a liberty-oriented person but I certainly don't believe that you can "nurture" the worst social deviants into capable citizens- and I know this because I have met such people. They are truly messed up in the head and they truly believe that they must hurt or be hurt, when nobody is out to hurt them.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot

We have some Canadians who post here -- what do you guys think? Does this reflect your experience of what Canadians really want or do you think it's Harper-administration propaganda?

Apparently these numbers show that Canadians are just as fervent about executions as Americans are. And it says people in Western Canada support the death penalty by a 3 to 1 margin, which is actually HIGHER than the support in the USA!

Is Canada simply becoming more conservative or do you think the poll is just dead wrong (no pun intended)?

www.canada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Canadians getting more conservative? No, not at all. But Canadians are getting sick of criminals, gangsters and drug dealers creating havoc. violence and fear in our communities - and then getting away scott free with it.

I think that's what you're seeing here with these poll results. Canada never really had much of a violent crime problem - but that has changed dramatically over the last decade or so, and people are getting pretty sick of it.

The West Coast is suffering worst of all probably - which also tallies with your poll results.

That's my take on it.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

I have to say - I agree with most of what you say.

Most of those handguns are smuggled in from the USA, as you know of course...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
I think that's what you're seeing here with these poll results. Canada never really had much of a violent crime problem - but that has changed dramatically over the last decade or so, and people are getting pretty sick of it.

The intensification of violent crime in this country stems from the intensifying government crackdown on it. That is simply how it works in any country. While general crimes rates in Canada have dropped over the years, the violent ones rise because such things as trafficking drugs becomes more riskier. There wouldn't be violence involved in that sector if it were legal (just look at the liquor prohibition).

Harper has anticipated this by producing more jails at an undisclosed cost (one half of the reason why he was held in contempt of parliament). He knows that Canadians will turn more violent if police rain on them, and has thus planned to exploit this reality by jailing violent offenders in order to look like his government is doing its job, which greatly appeals to conservative Canadians (you know, those Canadians who isolate themselves from society by living in large, clean homes while paying taxes so the government can keep the rest of us grubby citizens away from them by any means necessary).

But aside from all of this, truly violent people who exist in any type of society still persist in Canada. The death penalty in Canada should be used responsibly and should serve as a serious deterrant to serious criminals, unlike in the US where the death penalty has been used a bit too liberally.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i think most canadians would be happy if 1st degree murderers got more than 12 years in prison. that would be a start.

another start would be life, meaning life. in canada, the maximum penalty is life, without possibility of parole for 25 years.

most killers plead guilty to 2nd degree murder and are out in 8 years. it's a friggin joke.

I agree it's probably a bit too light as it is, if you're only going to put a murderer in jail for 8 years, you might as well just not even punish them at all!

But I think the 25 to life thing is actually pretty ideal. I only think there's about 15 Canadians in all of their history that truly should be in until they die. Clifford Olson who just died recently (wouldn't wish cancer on anyone but it's hard to really feel that sad about his death lol), Pickton, Paul Bernando, Karla Homolka, and a few others.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel

Originally posted by lampsalot[/iHow about you Canucks just send your Picktons to a few select islands off the coast of BC?

Because Alaska would hate the thought of a minimum security prison prison so close to their borders.
I don't know actually, a prison on an island seems as isolated as a prison in the arctic however choosing an island specifically for its lack of resources is more of a limiting area; it would be harder for anyone we put in the arctic to be broken out of this open air prison if the longtitude and latitude are secret to the prisoners but an open secret to the public after they're safely in place from any reasonable attempt to break them out without raising suspicion.

Well my idea was making a high-tech security system around the island. Also probably one island for men and one island for women so there isn't any sexual contact, though perhaps their spouses should be given the right to visit in a special part of the island?

I think if the right islands were picked it would be incredibly secure.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Hmmmm. Hookers are still people too. But I kinda see where you're getting at. Pickton might actually be kinda a cool person to have dinner with, as long as he didn't serve any human flesh in the guise of pork, while I wouldn't really even wanna talk to Bernando or Olson.

edit on 12-2-2012 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
reply to post by lampsalot

Although I've never had much faith in polls to begin with, in the case of this one I find myself agreeing with the results. Canadians are getting more and more fed up with all the shooting and killing that's now taking place in our cities, and since prison no longer seems to be the deterrant it once was, maybe it's time the death penalty was reinstated, and at the same time bring back the 'lash'.
Because innocent people have been wrongly executed, I was against having a death penalty in Canada, but Forensics have come such a long way that I'm sure the chance of a wrongful execution has become a thing of the past. In the event certain forensic testing such as DNA evidence is inconclusive, don't pronounce the death sentence, but give a sentence of life in prison instead. I also think a sentence of death should be handed down only in certain murder cases, and only after proper deliberation by the jury.
The death sentence should have been reinstated long ago, then there wouldn't be nearly as many shootings and killings taking place in our cities. These shootings by the way are mostly commited by thugs in street gangs, USING ILLEGAL HAND GUNS THAT HAVE BEEN SMUGGLED INTO THE COUNTRY, AND EXCEPT IN RARE OCCASIONS DO NOT INVOLVE THE USE OF LONG GUNS SUCH AS RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS USED IN HUNTING AND SPORTS SHOOTING! (Sorry for all the caps!) These street thugs will kill anyway, even if guns were not available!
I'm not a great lover of cops, but there are times when I do feel sorry for them. Thanks to these street gangs, they are faced with a much bigger work load, while at the same time their operating budgets are cut. They know it's mostly blacks and Asians who are doing most of the shootings, but if they happen to stop a car load of either, they are immediately labelled "racist", and subsequently are raked over the coals by an ungrateful and mostly brain-dead media always looking to sensationalize for the sake of sales, as well as ladder climbing superiors who are more interested in politics than they are in fighting crime!
I'm not here to argue (too old), but merely state my opinion! I believe the prospect of dangling at the end of a rope will go a long way toward making our cities' streets safe again!

Well the death penalty isn't working in America. Why do you expect it would work there?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb
Murders are happening left right and center these days. My step dad was telling me a time when a murder was a big thing in NZ because they didn't happen all that often.

It's ridiculous that now they're scattered all over the news and the guilty party gets off with 5 years in prison. I think it is very plausible to bring back the death penalty to many countries. Prison has become more like a rest home as to the older fashioned prisons.

We're too soft on today's criminals. It's time to crack down on them

Thanks for reading
CRB

Then how come crime in Canada is the lowest in almost 40 years, and murder is the lowest since 1966? And on top of that, the decline has been especially big in BC?

www.cbc.ca...

I think it has more to do with a change in public opinion, if the poll is indeed not the BS I think it is. Also the media sensationalism - I think when you have notorious murder trials on TV in greater volume, it naturally increases the popularity of the death penalty since people get so tired to hearing about heinous things.

I'm not sure how much the murders of Tim McLean and Tori Stafford were publicized in Canada, or the Pickton case and Olson's death, but I would think the more they were, the more people would tend to want the death penalty due to the visceral disgust hearing about such cases brings about.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Hmmmm. Hookers are still people too. But I kinda see where you're getting at. Pickton might actually be kinda a cool person to have dinner with, as long as he didn't serve any human flesh in the guise of pork, while I wouldn't really even wanna talk to Bernando or Olson.

I'm actually surprised you said this, considering the content of my previous post. How can you make a sick joke about it? Do you think that was funny? You can make a joke about that but you don't wanna talk about Bernardo?
You can 'kinda see where your'e getting at'? With all due respect, what is wrong with you? These were real women, real people going through ups and downs, and in no way shape or form did they deserve to be put through a woodchipper and fed to the pigs on the pig farm. I fail to see how anyone can make a joke about it or downplay the horror of it. It is not funny. The fact that I even have to say this I find disturbing.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The death penalty should only be discussed if you can prove that everyone involved in an investigation, from the cops and evidence gatherers, to the forensic pathologists, to the lawyers and judges, are all 100% honest and infallible at their jobs. If it is not even remotely possible that someone along the line is crooked or just makes a mistake, then and only then can we discuss the possibility of a death penalty.

Since that is not possible, neither should be a death penalty.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by batgirl

I'm actually surprised you said this, considering the content of my previous post. How can you make a sick joke about it? Do you think that was funny? You can make a joke about that but you don't wanna talk about Bernardo?
You can 'kinda see where your'e getting at'? With all due respect, what is wrong with you? These were real women, real people going through ups and downs, and in no way shape or form did they deserve to be put through a woodchipper and fed to the pigs on the pig farm. I fail to see how anyone can make a joke about it or downplay the horror of it. It is not funny. The fact that I even have to say this I find disturbing.

I'm sorry about that. I don't know, I find humor a good coping mechanism. I find it as disturbing as anyone.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
OK, when you put it that way I understand better. A friend of mine's girlfriend was one of Pickton's victims and I watched footage on tv of some of the victim's relatives and they were utterly devastated. I just think it's good to always keep in mind that these were real people.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

OK, when you put it that way I understand better. A friend of mine's girlfriend was one of Pickton's victims and I watched footage on tv of some of the victim's relatives and they were utterly devastated. I just think it's good to always keep in mind that these were real people.

Agreed.

I think a proper death penalty system would have the next-of-kin/family of the victim(or perhaps the victim themselves in the case of torture and rape) deciding if they would rather put the guilty to death, or have them serve life in prison with ZERO chance of release. None.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Yeah I'm really sorry I said that, I would be devastated too if I knew someone who was killed by him, especially knowing the way he did it!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
1002 online canadians = "most canadians"

okay there

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
That is absolute lies and the biggest crock I've ever heard. Most Canadians don't approve of the death penalty, only a small little right winged US influenced group that they seemed to have tapped into.

I stand in my own power now and people are waking up more and more. The leaders here are no longer given any rights to run their agendas. They have only the right to tell the truth about everything and work with groups of citizens and the people to establish true equality and social justice and then work at exporting Peace, Love, Equality, Education, Health Care and all that is Good throughout the world as our servants.

And thats it. We are going to stand up and tell them. NO, and you're not going to ever win on this.

And NO we are not going to adopt lower dimensional US policy.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

Note its an online survey

The online survey included a sample of 1,002 Canadian adults. It was conducted from Feb. 2 to Feb. 3, 2012.

Yeah i think i know which site they asked there opinions from.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join