It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Canadians want the death penalty back

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by superman2012

So if you had a child you would ground him/her and allow them to play with their xbox, ipod, phone, tv, psp, Nintendo 3ds? Or sent without the amenities? Freedom isn't just about being able to leave a certain place.

If your grounding are similar to corrections, you shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

What is your definition of corrections? If my kids do something bad enough to warrant a grounding, they are sent to their rooms or not allowed to leave the house to go play with friends. They are "imprisoned" in the house, I am the guard. Don't pretend to know me or spout your ridiculousness just because you assume my punishments are your opinion of corrections. I was trying to make an analogy, it seems I should have made it simpler for you.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I am Canadian and I would love to see the death penalty back. Russell Williams, Robert Pickton, Vince Li, Clifford Olson... what chance did they give their victims? Lock them for a month, give them bread and water for that month and then execute them.

When I see that another killer in the US has been executed I do not feel sorry for them at all. I feel bad for the victim and their families.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by superman2012

So if you had a child you would ground him/her and allow them to play with their xbox, ipod, phone, tv, psp, Nintendo 3ds? Or sent without the amenities? Freedom isn't just about being able to leave a certain place.

If your grounding are similar to corrections, you shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

What is your definition of corrections? If my kids do something bad enough to warrant a grounding, they are sent to their rooms or not allowed to leave the house to go play with friends. They are "imprisoned" in the house, I am the guard. Don't pretend to know me or spout your ridiculousness just because you assume my punishments are your opinion of corrections. I was trying to make an analogy, it seems I should have made it simpler for you.

No, your groundings are not like corrections. There are a couple things you could do to learn what it's like (besides entering the system yourself).

1st. You could go to a local halfway house or community integration center, spend some time talking with the inmates.

2. You could Read up on the Stanford Prison experiement.

If you really treated your kids like the correctional system would, I would seriously doubt your competency as a parent. Don't do yourself a disservice by acting like it is the same thing.

It was a useless analogy. You are the one who used it, take responsibility for using it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay

I am Canadian and I would love to see the death penalty back. Russell Williams, Robert Pickton, Vince Li, Clifford Olson... what chance did they give their victims? Lock them for a month, give them bread and water for that month and then execute them.

When I see that another killer in the US has been executed I do not feel sorry for them at all. I feel bad for the victim and their families.

Why not let them sit around for a lifetime thinking about how crappy their lives are? Or, in the case of a couple of them, let them sit and think how they "won" all the while they are caged like animals for a good number of years.

I think it is worth the money of incarceration IMO.

They are powerless, and they remain that way for a good number of years, it is something that the victims I'm sure would appreciate were they able to voice their opinion.

Death is an easy way out.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Being another canuck, id have to say there are people who need to be eliminated.....they do not anylonger deserve to live in or out of prison.

Rbert Pickton, had a pig farm out of the city on the edge of port qoquitlqm...I knew some of his neighbours.....
This guy had parties at his farm for all the hookers in the city, and their pimps......
He had an illegal booze can on the farm that id bet more than a few cops partied in.....
His victims came to him.....
So did Clifford Olsons.....Hes another serial killer in vancouver, kids were his specialty, like john gacey....
They kept him out on the street as long as possible cause he was a rat for the RCMP.....
If they would have acted sooner he never could have killed my buddys only boy....and destroyed both lives.
For these kind of guys, death is a mercy....

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ouf, this was a long read. I am one of those who read every post before responding. As for the question of capitol punishment: I am against it. I agree that for the more serious crimes, life should be tougher in prison, and no parole. I liked the idea of sending them up into the far north. As for Harper, well he is a G.W. Bush wannabe. He got elected stating more transperancy in government and then proceeded to pass laws to restrict information given to the journalists and the public. He has used propoganda in the past. The longer he stays in power the more he will try to bring us in line with the way of Americans. I have nothing against their way of life and ideals per say, I just don't share many of them.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
EPIC propaganda BS

The death penalty is NOT welcome here in Canada. Neither are murdering villains, but you can't choose to have those.

I don't know who the hell they asked to make up their survey stats, but the probably counted they votes like they do with GOP results, "fraudulently"

edit on 10-2-2012 by Glargod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
As a Canadian, I can honestly say that I would welcome the return of the death penalty.

But only in the very worse cases, serial killers, mass murderers and their ilk.

Say, for example, a mistake is made and an innocent man is 'murdered', would the Judge, Jury, Executor and all witnesses be found guilty of manslaughter in the first degree and all be imprisoned or better yet get the death penalty themselves? There would be absolutely no "doubt" that they were involved and could even save the justice system a few bucks by skipping the trial and lining up for the rope.

NOBODY has the right, authority to kill another man. FREAKING NOBODY!

Exile is the answer --- Antarctica

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by User8911
I am for it because, I think it serves them right
I believe in re-incarnation

Holy crap, you've just inspired me. I believe in re-incarnation too. That said, We MUST put them behind bars and keep them alive as long as we can for we know where their soul is. if we kill them... They'll be BACK and we won't know who they are until it's too late.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It was a useless analogy. You are the one who used it, take responsibility for using it.

It was only useless to the people that took it literally. Wasn't meant to be. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i think most canadians would be happy if 1st degree murderers got more than 12 years in prison. that would be a start.

another start would be life, meaning life. in canada, the maximum penalty is life, without possibility of parole for 25 years.

most killers plead guilty to 2nd degree murder and are out in 8 years. it's a friggin joke.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by boncho

It was only useless to the people that took it literally. Wasn't meant to be. Good luck.

If it is not a literal analogy than what is it? How is it relative to what we are talking about? It's not. Simple as that.

Either you treat your kids like a correctional system does or you don't. You already said you don't so that means it doesn't relate.

Apples and Oranges.

We are discussing the death penalty, corrections and punishment in this thread. In no way does the way you treat your kids relate to the topic, nor should it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Simple FYI:

Minimum sentence in Canada for 1st degree murder is 25 years BEFORE eligibility for parole.

Has been since 1976.

2nd degree has 10-25 minimum before parole as determined by the judge with recommendation from the jury.

There is a 'faint hope' clause that allows persons imprisoned for 15 years or longer to appeal for early parole, but the cases granted this are so rare that they are statistically insignificant.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
Simple FYI:

Minimum sentence in Canada for 1st degree murder is 25 years BEFORE eligibility for parole.

Has been since 1976.

2nd degree has 10-25 minimum before parole as determined by the judge with recommendation from the jury.

There is a 'faint hope' clause that allows persons imprisoned for 15 years or longer to appeal for early parole, but the cases granted this are so rare that they are statistically insignificant.

I would also like to add that there are a large number of people that don't get out in 25 years, or at all.

I think that should also be taken into consideration.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
killing the someone for doing anything should never be okay with anyone. someone rapes beats tortures or kills people, then we kill them for it. makes no sense and is nothing more than ego justified murder.

Thats your opinion.

Others might call it justice.

like i said murders murder, don't matter who is doing it or why. you can paint all the justification you want in your mind, at the end of the day it murder. egotistical, violent, greedy, corrupt society's make murderers and then we kill them for being that way.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot[/iHow about you Canucks just send your Picktons to a few select islands off the coast of BC?

Because Alaska would hate the thought of a minimum security prison prison so close to their borders.
I don't know actually, a prison on an island seems as isolated as a prison in the arctic however choosing an island specifically for its lack of resources is more of a limiting area; it would be harder for anyone we put in the arctic to be broken out of this open air prison if the longtitude and latitude are secret to the prisoners but an open secret to the public after they're safely in place from any reasonable attempt to break them out without raising suspicion.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
Simple FYI:

Has been since 1976.

And most murder trials that slip under the media frenzy tend to end up with pathetic jail sentences. My auntie was brutally murdered over a decade ago and the [SNIP] that killed her only got like 2 years in jail.
edit on 11-2-2012 by burdman30ott6 because: Please do not evade the automatic censors.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

This is an attempted US GOVERNMENT infiltration. I don't believe for a second this is how the majority of Canadians feel. I am Canadian and these attempts of misinformation are FALSE. UNTRUE.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Only1King because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The death penalty. Interesting subject
Here is the issue. We are not perfect, therefore we often have innocent people on death row.

Mounting evidence shows that innocent people have been sentenced to death and that serious legal errors infect the administration of capital punishment. For every eight people executed in this country, one innocent person on death row has been identified and exonerated.

Source

If you cheer for the death penalty, and even a single innocent person is murdered because of it, you then should also be executed for supporting murder. A single innocent life lost is one life too many.

The prison system is not a vendetta system..it is to correct any behavior that can be corrected, and to remove from general society anyone whom is simply too dangerous to be in society..no, not gladiatorial battles, or pay a fee to torture a prisoner..remove your mindset from that of the monsters you claim to be against.

A society is judged by how it treats its poor and prisoners. Canada, are you sure you want to be judged with the same stick that the states and the middle east is measured?
edit on 11-2-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join