It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Most Canadians want the death penalty back

page: 2
9
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I would call BS and would also venture that perhaps the 1002 polled were in congress?

I am Canadian and would venture to say that maybe 1 in 10 of my friends would support it.

Hey Harper! Stop kissing up to your Southern Buddy.

Peace


I'm Canadian, fairly liberal - I've voted Lib and NDP, before I stopped voting. I'd love to see the death penalty come back. That Pickford fella out in BC is a prime example of why.




posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well anytime people round my local area talk about the legal system it gets to him somehow. Kinda like a BC boogieman.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joe Canadian
Well anytime people round my local area talk about the legal system it gets to him somehow. Kinda like a BC boogieman.


Almost like a Godwin's Law kinda thing. Whenever I am apologetic about my absolute pacifism, people bring up WW2/Hitler to try to discredit me.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm Canadian! I think it's pointless to have life sentences. Instead of paying to keep pedophiles and rapists and murders in jail for life, which is 20 years, just kill them. Done deal. Better yet, Let the family's effected by the criminals to make the decision. And really, why is a life sentence only 20 years? Why should we have to pay to keep a scum bag degenerate alive and fed for that long?

Pedophiles who are caught should just be killed.
Rapists should just be killed.
Murderers unless found to be a crime of passion should also be killed.

Thats my two Canadian cents on the matter.

Makes more sense to me than letting them out one day, to do it again to some other poor soul don't you think?
edit on 10-2-2012 by theclutch because: adding to post



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot

For some odd reason even criminals are self-righteous when it comes to kids. Or so I've heard, tbh i don't totally believe it.



Believe it. In prison, a child molestor or child murderer is a walking target. Thats why you see so few in general population - it's made clear to them by both staff and other inmates that if they don't request protective custody they will die.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by lampsalot

For some odd reason even criminals are self-righteous when it comes to kids. Or so I've heard, tbh i don't totally believe it.



Believe it. In prison, a child molestor or child murderer is a walking target. Thats why you see so few in general population - it's made clear to them by both staff and other inmates that if they don't request protective custody they will die.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)


Yeah but I think that has as much to do with pedophiles being weak compared to gang bangers etc as it does with the criminals seeing them as being 'too mean'.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 


No, it has to do with the sanctity of a child's innocence, and the sanctity of a child's life. Even a murderer, a hardened criminal is still a human being. A child molester, no matter how weak or strong he may be, deserves death.

There was an American guy. Raped his daughter for years, filmed it, put it up on the internet. Dude was a weightlifter, a fit guy. He's serving his sentence in the hole, 23 hours a day in his cell. That's too good for him, imo.

Forget the guy's name, but I could find it if I looked hard enough.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot


Yeah but I think that has as much to do with pedophiles being weak compared to gang bangers etc as it does with the criminals seeing them as being 'too mean'.


Paedophiles are only weak when they're abusing other adults, which is why their quarry is children. To a child, even the most frail and weak noncer may as well be the strongest man in the world.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by lampsalot
 


No, it has to do with the sanctity of a child's innocence, and the sanctity of a child's life. Even a murderer, a hardened criminal is still a human being. A child molester, no matter how weak or strong he may be, deserves death.

There was an American guy. Raped his daughter for years, filmed it, put it up on the internet. Dude was a weightlifter, a fit guy. He's serving his sentence in the hole, 23 hours a day in his cell. That's too good for him, imo.

Forget the guy's name, but I could find it if I looked hard enough.


Personally I think murder is way worse than rape, I think if anything rapists would have more of a right to judge murderers. I mean it would make things that much worse if he murdered his daughter after all those years of abusing her imo. Though both of course are really bad. I think our society is just puritanical and tends to see violence as being nobler than sexuality in general.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 


There's a difference between rape and the rape of a child. Or are they one and the same in your eyes? Not accusing you of anything, just curious.

This is a matter that strikes extremely close to home for me. I'm not going to go into it, but take a wild guess.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
quite against it..
really i feel anyone who did something so awful they deserve death.. is likely never getting out of prison anyway.
..and i know i'd rather die than live in prison.

yeah it costs to house them/feed them, but i think we're kind of over doing that currently, and prisons should look more like they used to.. some prisons look a little too cozy for my liking, seems the incarcerated live better than the poor.

but as for death penalty.. i think that's just to easy of a way out.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by lampsalot
 


There's a difference between rape and the rape of a child. Or are they one and the same in your eyes? Not accusing you of anything, just curious.

This is a matter that strikes extremely close to home for me. I'm not going to go into it, but take a wild guess.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)


I'm sorry to hear about that.

I actually do think they're the same. Not to minimize rape of a child, but to me raping an adult woman, or yes yes, even an adult man, is just as bad as raping a child. Maybe it's a little worse to rape a child, since it's in that early stage of development and thus the psychological damage might be more acute, but I don't consider it qualitively worse. Nor do I think severe physical abuse of a child is any less serious than sexual abuse.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't support the murderous aims of the state but I recognize that keeping a prisoner behind bars for life is a bit more expensive than the average taxpayer wants.

So, why not take those who would earn the Death Penalty so far up north to an Isolated point where not only do they have to work together to survive on a daily basis, they can't expect to escape because of the huge distance. While of course supply drops and constant communication with medically trained professionals would be a must to maintain their arctic prison, I think if they truly deserved the Death Penalty then they will take it out on themselves or others.

Perhaps when confronted with assured death to the most unforgiving of conditions around them, it will feel like they are murdered, but in purgatory with those who would murder.

It would be insanely cheap to just leave them in a few small bunkers in the North, using remote electronics not only to monitor their life signs but their movements as well.


Oh looks like Prisoner 1934 is trying to escape again, lets see how far he makes it before he turns back this time


This would allow those who are 'On the Brink' of execution the chance to redeem themselves through inaction and compliance. If they go through with their stupidity of trying to escape, they will merely perish, perhaps they will be lucky enough to be eaten by a polar bear rather than slowly freeze.

This sounds harsh, but it would only be used on the harshest of crimes,it is not a cruel punishment if they comply, and it is an unusual punishment because they do not.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot

I actually do think they're the same.


I lost ya there, stopped reading after that. If you genuinely believe that then your line of thinking is so completely alien to me or to anyone that I know it's staggering.

I, frankly, worry for any children in your care.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by lampsalot

I actually do think they're the same.


I lost ya there, stopped reading after that. If you genuinely believe that then your line of thinking is so completely alien to me or to anyone that I know it's staggering.

I, frankly, worry for any children in your care.


Hold on! I wasn't implying I am in any way, shape or form OKAY with child abuse. I was just saying that women and men who are raped deserve just as much compassion as child victims. That's all.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel
I don't support the murderous aims of the state but I recognize that keeping a prisoner behind bars for life is a bit more expensive than the average taxpayer wants.

So, why not take those who would earn the Death Penalty so far up north to an Isolated point where not only do they have to work together to survive on a daily basis, they can't expect to escape because of the huge distance. While of course supply drops and constant communication with medically trained professionals would be a must to maintain their arctic prison, I think if they truly deserved the Death Penalty then they will take it out on themselves or others.

Perhaps when confronted with assured death to the most unforgiving of conditions around them, it will feel like they are murdered, but in purgatory with those who would murder.

It would be insanely cheap to just leave them in a few small bunkers in the North, using remote electronics not only to monitor their life signs but their movements as well.


Oh looks like Prisoner 1934 is trying to escape again, lets see how far he makes it before he turns back this time


This would allow those who are 'On the Brink' of execution the chance to redeem themselves through inaction and compliance. If they go through with their stupidity of trying to escape, they will merely perish, perhaps they will be lucky enough to be eaten by a polar bear rather than slowly freeze.

This sounds harsh, but it would only be used on the harshest of crimes,it is not a cruel punishment if they comply, and it is an unusual punishment because they do not.


How about you Canucks just send your Picktons to a few select islands off the coast of BC?



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 





Personally I think murder is way worse than rape, I think if anything rapists would have more of a right to judge murderers. I mean it would make things that much worse if he murdered his daughter after all those years of abusing her imo. Though both of course are really bad. I think our society is just puritanical and tends to see violence as being nobler than sexuality in general.


I agree 100 %.

I think death penalty for murder may possibly be justified, if we apply a harsh eye for an eye morality.

But not death penalty for rape, including child rape. Life in prison is a serious overkill for rape, too.

Rape and particularly child rape is a very sensationalised crime nowadays. It is in fact not much more serious than an aggrataved battery or comparable crimes. Just because there is an additional sexual element present does not magically justify much harsher punishments.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ah, got to love Toronto...afterall, they are the center of Canada right? Ask 1000 people and you get a true indication of what is going on right?

My personal view is that our judicial system is way too easy on criminals, especially those under 18. However, I do not agree with nor want the dealth penalty reinstated. I think the best way around this is to make our punishment tougher on criminals, and a life sentence means just that, not 25 years!



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScubaGirl
Ah, got to love Toronto...afterall, they are the center of Canada right? Ask 1000 people and you get a true indication of what is going on right?

My personal view is that our judicial system is way too easy on criminals, especially those under 18. However, I do not agree with nor want the dealth penalty reinstated. I think the best way around this is to make our punishment tougher on criminals, and a life sentence means just that, not 25 years!


I agree. Like with Vince Li, I think he should have got 25 years to life and considering how gruesome his crime way, no parole board would free him at the 25 year mark. I think such juries should be made up of the Canadian public if they are not already, not of lawyers and mental health people.

To be fair though, in Canada, a life sentence means a possibility of parole after 25 years. It doesn't mean you automatically get out. Juries are pretty unforgiving even in Canada. I personally think it's a good idea to have that bit of leeway, don't you? I mean it gives the slight possibility of redemption at least.
edit on 10-2-2012 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 


Haha, fair enough. I didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

I just believe that a child is something more than human until he or she reaches adulthood. To rape a child, to fondle or otherwise molest a child is to take his or her innocence.

It changes the way that child looks at the world and the people who inhabit it. It has profound psychological implications that oftentimes prevent that person from ever really leading a 'normal' life.




top topics



 
9
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join