It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida and Hyperbaric-chamber explosions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by taderhold
reply to post by Afterthought

The reason I asked my question was because oxygen is not combustible by itself. However, it will cause something combustible to burn faster and hotter.

MAYBE THE HORSE FARTED

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Florida has a lot of the chambers for the Diving community and emergency treatment. It may also have some for the sports-performance enhancement communities. Florida is a home for many spring-training baseball camps, and a lot of pro athletes. There is also a huge Horse-raising community in Central Florida, so if they use the chambers for horses, then I can see it being a problem.

Florida also has a huge problem with "fogged windows" where the double-paned windows lose their seal. I don't know if any studies have been done, but I have always suspected it was due to the wild atmospheric pressure fluctuations when high pressure systems are immediately followed by low pressure tropical systems.

Okaloosa Island in the Florida Panhandle is known as one of the harshest environments on Earth for paint finishes. Many paint manufacturers test their paints in Saudi Arabia and on Okaloosa Island.

Maybe the hyperbaric chambers are damaged by the Florida climate? I don't know of any inspection or licensing processes for the chambers, so maybe no one is making sure they are safe?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GENISJOSE

Thanks for providing that article.

I'd read about the ear issue with people and didn't make the connection with the horses not being able to pop their ears. Thanks for pointing that out.

From the video in the Sentinel article, the woman states how they raise the pressure ever so gradually so the horse isn't bothered much, but maybe they didn't do that in this case? Another thing I read was that if a person is having any cold or flu symptoms, they should delay their hyperbaric treatment until they're better. Maybe the horse was having other symptoms like sinus issues that caused further difficulty?

Again, thanks for posting that article and contributing the additional info.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks! Good info!

All those uses you listed certainly raises the accident chances, so I guess given the many and frequent treatments (for people and horses) would make Florida a good candidate to see this happen twice in the same state.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Here's an updated video showing the damage to the building.
www.orlandosentinel.com...

Here's a slideshow, too.
www.wftv.com...

At least the horse and the woman didn't suffer. I hope the woman who sustained injuries is going to be OK.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Yeah I read it. But my brain replaced the word inxquit with google

edit on 10-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

It's all good! I think that's part of the programming. Google gets into people's brains so their search engine is always considered first and foremost.

I'm happy with ixquick though. Your IP address isn't tracked and I'm seeing a lot less ads now. You should think about downloading it. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but once I did, I'm now a satisfied searcher.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I am really intrigued as to what gas or material combined with the oxygen could cause such an explosion. Does anyone know yet?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by taderhold

I suppose they're still investigating, but here is what they know so far:
www.wftv.com...

Two employees were monitoring the horse by video from another room when he became agitated and started to kick.

Investigators said the employees tried to activate an emergency switch to decompress the chamber, but the horse had already kicked off a quarter-inch thick protective coating when his steel boot made contact with the steel chamber, creating a spark that cause the explosion.

Investigators said debris flew 1,200 feet when the explosion ripped off part of the roof and the siding.

"It is believed that the hyperbaric chamber caused the explosion," said Jessica Greene with Marion County Fire Rescue.

"I've stood in the chamber myself when we've had tours and things for classes, and it never crossed my mind that something like this could happen. It's horrible. It's terrible," the horse's owner, Kristen Petzold, said.

Edit to Add: It appears that they did not remove the horse's shoes prior to placing him/her into the chamber.
Edit to Add Part II: I'm surprised that they don't give the horses a mild sedative before they're shut inside.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod

Originally posted by taderhold

The reason I asked my question was because oxygen is not combustible by itself. However, it will cause something combustible to burn faster and hotter.

MAYBE THE HORSE FARTED
Seriously, what other gases could have ignited other the methane from the horse fart?

Contrary to what some people have claimed in this thread, a spark in an oxygen environment does NOT cause an explosion.

Some others got it right...the spark only serves to ignite the combustion of something else. If there's no explosive gas it will start an extremely intense burning fire of any flammable materials, like happened in one of the early Apollo capsules. In that case a spark started a fire...it didn't cause an explosion.

Now the question is, could the horse have farted enough gas to blow the chamber apart? I wouldn't have thought so, which leads me to suspect that some other kind of gas leak might have been involved? So let's see what the investigation reveals.
edit on 11-2-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

To add to your post, the pictures did not indicate there was any intense fire. That leads me to believe that the chamber blew up from a pressure surge. I have no idea what could have combusted in that chamber but, your idea is the only one yet that is viable. Methane is very explosive.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Here is the updated info:
www.wftv.com...

The chamber was built three years ago by New Phase Construction and went through five inspections. But it's unclear when the chamber was last inspected.

Equestrian experts said it's highly unusual to put horses inside the chambers without tranquilizing them first, but it's not required.

WFTV was told that this could have been prevented if the horse had aluminum shoes because those are not magnetic and wouldn't have caused that spark.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is also investigating.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I would have thought that bearing in mind the average equestrian diet, they are more than capable of delivering massive amounts of methane in thier flatulence, probably not equal to a cow, but certainly more than a person having a post curry exodus shall we say. They eat grass, hay, oats, that sort of thing, and in the case of working horses, probably high energy feeds made of sugar beets and so on.
And if it is the case that the horse in question kicked off a spark in a high oxygen environment, with a highly flammable gas comming out of its backside, then it may well of blown itself straight to hell with its own butt gas.

However I must ask this one question, and I am no expert on these matters, so forgive me if this sounds a stupid question... If metal or conductive objects , or friction/impact sparks are an issue in a hyperbaric chamber, then why in the HELL would you even CONSIDER allowing a horse to enter one with shoes of any kind on? Once a horse is shoed, is it IMPOSSIBLE for it to walk without them or something? Because I have honestly never heard such a thing before! Surely it would be safer for both horse, operators, and the equipment itself, if they were relieved of thier horsey footwear previous to immersion in this dangerous environment?
edit on 11-2-2012 by TrueBrit because: missed a bit, sorry folks

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here is an article written by people who know the facility and persosn involved.

www.chronofhorse.com...

There is also a thread about it in the forums that answer most questions.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
The news have also said that they usually sedate the horse but because this one has been treated several times without incident they didn't feel they needed to. This was a fatal mistake but I am sure because of it there will be more attention in the future for all facilities.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
why in the HELL would you even CONSIDER allowing a horse to enter one with shoes of any kind on? Once a horse is shoed, is it IMPOSSIBLE for it to walk without them or something?
I guess you're no equestrian expert then? Neither am I, but my friend has horses so I know a little something about them.

The horse shoes are meant to stay on. They can certainly be removed, but it's not as easy as you taking off your shoes and putting them back on, it's a lot harder.

As the above link states:

the horse kicked off the protective layer from his steel shoe and made contact with the steel wall of the chamber
So, it's much easier to put on a protective layer, than to remove the horseshoe.

From an engineering perspective, it should be possible to design and engineer a protective layer that will stay on even if the horse goes beserk. Not having reviewed the design of the protective layer I can't say whether the fault was in the design, or in the application of the cover, or possibly even both.

If we follow-up on the results of the investigation, the investigators may publish an opinion on that.

From a broader perspective we must ask if the benefits of this therapy justify the risk. Even if a horseshoe never causes another spark, there could be other ignition sources in the chamber. And there will be more fatalities from the resulting fires if or should we say when that happens.

Maybe they don't need such a high oxygen content and it would be half as helpful with the oxygen level increased half as much, but a whole lot safer? Just some thoughts.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
UPDATE

www.wftv.com...

According to the report, workers had been concerned that something was wrong with the chamber. They were worried about oxygen leaking from around the valves on the chamber.

In order to maintain the desired pressure, the chamber had to be operated manually. But according to the report, that's not the issue that caused the explosion.

Tux the horse was suffering from nervous system issues when he was placed in the chamber. According to Moneley, Tux received a sedative and had been in the chamber three or four times before.

The horse's feet were fitted with steel shoes. They weren't covered, but it wasn't considered necessary. The inside of the chamber was coated with a protective covering. But Tux became unsettled, kicking to his rear.

He dislodged a lid at the rear of the chamber, exposing raw metal. He kept kicking until he created a spark.

Moneley left to call the fire department while Marshall began to try to bring the chamber back to normal pressure. It was then that Moneley heard an explosion. The second blast knocked her off her feet.

Marshall and Tux were killed.

The Sheriff's Office case is closed, but OSHA is still investigating. It has up to six months to complete its report.

Especially now that we now there were two blasts, it'll be interesting to see what OSHA's investigation determines. The way I look at it, if the employees knew that there was something wrong with the machine and had to operate if differently, they are guilty of negligence and should be charged with manslaughter.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join