It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida and Hyperbaric-chamber explosions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This story just made the local news today.

Woman, horse killed in hyperbaric-chamber explosion in Marion

www.orlandosentinel.com...

A 29-year-old woman and a horse are dead after a hyperbaric chamber exploded at an equine therapy center in Marion County on Friday morning, fire rescue officials said.

A spokeswoman for Marion County Fire Rescue said crews were called to KESMARC Florida on Highway 326 in Ocala about 9:20 a.m. Friday, after a report of an explosion.

The horse, MCFR spokeswoman Jessica Greene said, was inside the chamber when it exploded. It was not clear what led to the blast, which Greene said is under investigation.

Such a sad story, but it got me thinking. I'd never heard of hyperbaric-chambers exploding, so I did a search.
I searched 'hyperbaric chamber explodes' in ixquick and I was stunned by the results.
After going through seven pages of results, ALL of the hyperbaric-chamber explosions have happened ONLY in Florida. I find this strange. I even did a more direct search by plugging in the words 'California', 'France', and 'India' into three different searches, but nothing came up.

Here is the other story I was able to locate:

Hyberbaric Chamber Explodes Killing Woman, Injuring Young Boy

www.kwtx.com...

LAUDERDALE-BY-THE-SEA, Fla. (May 2, 2009)--An Italian woman has died and her 4-year-old grandson is in critical condition after a hyberbaric chamber exploded at a South Florida clinic.

Maybe I'm just seeing something when nothing is there, but I find it odd that of all the places these are used, is it actually a coincidence that the only two hyperbaric-chamber explosions to have ever occurred have happened in the same state? Is it the company they're buying them from? What other factors might cause a chamber to explode? Any diving or medical experts on ATS that may know more?

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I wonder if they had taken off horse shoes. A freaking horse in a 95% oxygen environment. Maybe it reared, kicked or something and made a spark?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

That's certainly a possibility. It still doesn't explain the explosion with the woman and her grandchild.
I'm going to keep an eye on the report from today and see what new information is released. Regarding the one that exploded with the woman and her grandson, I couldn't find anything about a determination in that case.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Someone should have hung a no smoking sign dam.

That is mean and this is sad though.

Maybe Florida humidity has something to do with it. Or possibly solar flares closer to the equator?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Do you live in Florida?

Google gives custom results by your location and past sites you have visited in the past.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by randomthoughts12

It's anyone's guess at this point.
As long as they don't determine that folks in Florida are spontaneously combusting in these things, we'll be alright.
Although, if I have to be in one for some reason, I'd be inclined to go up to Pennsylvania and use one there.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Did you read my thread?
I didn't use Google and I also plugged in the words 'California', 'France', and 'India' into separate searches.

If you can find evidence of one exploding elsewhere, more power to you.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Glargod

That's certainly a possibility. It still doesn't explain the explosion with the woman and her grandchild.
I'm going to keep an eye on the report from today and see what new information is released. Regarding the one that exploded with the woman and her grandson, I couldn't find anything about a determination in that case.

You are correct. In the first link, there is a video of a horse and handler going into a chamber. I do not see them "discharging" electrical charges (static). At the high rate of oxygen, I would suggest that it would take a fairly small spark (ark) to ignite and create an explosion.

Much like a spark plug in an engine I suppose

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomthoughts12
Someone should have hung a no smoking sign dam.

That is mean and this is sad though.

Maybe Florida humidity has something to do with it. Or possibly solar flares closer to the equator?

Haha, if you are going to involve solar flares in FL inclusively, You might as well involve the electro-magnetic fields of the "Bermuda Triangle"

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't realized that the article had been updated to include the video.
That's still pretty awesome that they can do that. I couldn't tell if the horse in the video had shoes on, but I did notice that she removed all the extraneous straps that may have caused any type of static electricity.

As far as the treatment facility goes, it seems as though it's state of the art and they would know what they were doing. Of course, there's always room for human error in any situation.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Here's some info I found about hyperbaric-chambers and their safety protocols.

www.oxyhealth.com...

OxyHealth sends its heartfelt thoughts and wishes for recovery to the Florida family recently injured at a Fort Lauderdale hyperbaric clinic on May 1, 2009.

The incident occurred at Ocean Hyperbaric Neurologic Center, a center founded by Richard Neubauer, MD. The chambers used at this center are made by Sechrist and Vickers operated by Certified Hyperbaric Technicians (CHTs). The center was the busiest of its kind in America.

As providers of hyperbaric chambers, we would like to clarify and assure customers of the safety features built into each Oxy Health chamber, precisely to avoid the type of tragedy in Florida. While that incident is still under investigation, we are confident in saying that the use of 100% oxygen in certain types of ‘static air’ chambers at 1.75 ATA and above, poses one of the highest risks for combustion. The technicians and occupants must follow strict protocols to avoid any activity that could create a spark. Utter vigilance is required with these types of chambers pressurized with 100% oxygen.

Oxy Health chambers are completely different by design. In order to specifically avoid the downfalls of ‘static, oxygen filled chambers,’ OxyHealth portable chambers incorporate a unique ‘flow-through’ system that continuously flushes ambient air through the chamber environment resulting in a no risk environment to the occupant. This is primarily why OxyHealth chambers are approved for home use, with many other fail-safe redundancy features that also regulate the pressure.

www.hyox.com...

Engineered and manufactured by Gulf Coast Hyperbarics, a Florida firm whose clients include NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, chambers are made with the same materials used in the construction of high-pressure oil pipelines.

Before treatment, you will be asked to change into 100 percent cotton scrubs that help to ensure safety and cleanliness inside the chamber. No articles containing nylon or polyester or watches, jewelry, hearing aids, contact lenses, and prosthetic devices can be worn inside the chamber. Eyeglasses are acceptable. Lockers are provided, but please leave all valuables at home. Also, personal cleanliness is important to the effectiveness of the treatment. Wound dressings are left on during treatment.

I haven't found anything that states that there are any particulars involved except the above statement where clothing and other accessories are mentioned. Maybe the horse or the people involved in the other explosion were wearing something made of nylon or polyester?

It will be interesting to see what they determine was the cause of this latest explosion.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Most Hyperbaric Chambers of that sort are pressurized to about 2.36 ATA or at the very least 2.0 ATA for they hyperbaric oxygen to be effective. Since the horse cannot be on a hood they must have had a high concentration of Oxygen in the chamber if not 100%. The report says that the chamber became anxious so my though is that being at such a concentration Oxygen environment and the horse kicking around, the horse shoes created a spark wich set off the explosion. Under more than normal atmospheric pressure the LEL (lower explsovie limit) of certain materials are radically decreased. I am saddened to see this happen, As far as the same company manufacturing them... nope... the one where the grandma and kid died was a "clam" type chamber which exploded due to faulty electrical equipment. Only coincidence that both recorded accidents of hyperbaric chambers happened in florida, nothing to do with the humitidy, if anything, humidity would help in preventing a chamber explosion since chambers always try to keep about 50% humidity at a minimum to prevent sparks... this must have been a convinations of different factors. Stay thirsty my friends!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GENISJOSE

the one where the grandma and kid died was a "clam" type chamber which exploded due to faulty electrical equipment.

Thanks for adding this. I hadn't found anything stating why the chamber with the grandmother and grandson exploded. Do you have a link to where you found this info? I'd like to read it and post a quote.

I find it difficult to believe that they would've left the shoes on the horse considering it was a world class equine facility. Plus, I didn't read anything stating that the horse became anxious and started kicking around, so I'm not sure where you got this information.

We'll have to await more info.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm a little confused by some of the posts here. Are the posters suspecting that static electricity caused the oxygen to explode without any other flammable substances involved?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by taderhold

Honestly, I don't know.
I really don't know much about these machines except to know that they increase the oxygen in the body to speed healing. I'd just never heard about any complications involved with these and today's event made me look further into how they're operated and what dangers are involved.

I don't want anyone to think that I wrote this thread to cause fear. I just happened to notice a strange coincidence and thought I'd bring it to the forefront here to see if anyone had any ideas.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The reason I asked my question was because oxygen is not combustible by itself. However, it will cause something combustible to burn faster and hotter.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Agreed.
Wouldn't a static spark cause the oxygen to combust though?
We've all brushed our hair and had static occur. Could the horse swishing its tail have caused a static spark?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

A spark cannot cause oxygen alone to combust. There would have to be another combustible gas involved before it would burn or explode.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Thank you for the information. A static spark was my only thought as to why these incidents happened.
Since static wouldn't be the cause, it makes it all the more mysterious.
The other poster said that the chamber the grandmother and grandson was in was caused by a faulty mechanism, but they haven't been back to post a link, so I'll be interested to see that info.
I wonder how long the equine center was using this particular machine before this happened?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

in this report it says the horse started kicking. One of the biggest things with hyperbaric treatments is the cause of Barotrauma, horses can't be coached to Valsave (clear their ears) like humans can. Sometimes they are given food so their ears equalize. Maybe this horse had a hard time on doing so and became agitated, hence the kicking. Oxygen itself is not a comubustible gas but definitely an accelerator. Most of the chambers have some combustibles such as blankets, the horse and the lady herself are considered combustibles. A simple spark can cause a tremendous explosion. No one is to blame here stuff like this happens, very rare but it happens.... one of the reasons that florida might see it most often is because Hyperbaric Tx's were banned in italy and other parts in Europe for the same reason (explosions) so now they travel to the east coast for such treatments. I'm a Hyperbaric Technologist.... stay thirsty my friends...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join