It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
A 29-year-old woman and a horse are dead after a hyperbaric chamber exploded at an equine therapy center in Marion County on Friday morning, fire rescue officials said.
A spokeswoman for Marion County Fire Rescue said crews were called to KESMARC Florida on Highway 326 in Ocala about 9:20 a.m. Friday, after a report of an explosion.
The horse, MCFR spokeswoman Jessica Greene said, was inside the chamber when it exploded. It was not clear what led to the blast, which Greene said is under investigation.
LAUDERDALE-BY-THE-SEA, Fla. (May 2, 2009)--An Italian woman has died and her 4-year-old grandson is in critical condition after a hyberbaric chamber exploded at a South Florida clinic.
Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Glargod
That's certainly a possibility. It still doesn't explain the explosion with the woman and her grandchild.
I'm going to keep an eye on the report from today and see what new information is released. Regarding the one that exploded with the woman and her grandson, I couldn't find anything about a determination in that case.
Originally posted by randomthoughts12
Someone should have hung a no smoking sign dam.
That is mean and this is sad though.
Maybe Florida humidity has something to do with it. Or possibly solar flares closer to the equator?
OxyHealth sends its heartfelt thoughts and wishes for recovery to the Florida family recently injured at a Fort Lauderdale hyperbaric clinic on May 1, 2009.
The incident occurred at Ocean Hyperbaric Neurologic Center, a center founded by Richard Neubauer, MD. The chambers used at this center are made by Sechrist and Vickers operated by Certified Hyperbaric Technicians (CHTs). The center was the busiest of its kind in America.
As providers of hyperbaric chambers, we would like to clarify and assure customers of the safety features built into each Oxy Health chamber, precisely to avoid the type of tragedy in Florida. While that incident is still under investigation, we are confident in saying that the use of 100% oxygen in certain types of ‘static air’ chambers at 1.75 ATA and above, poses one of the highest risks for combustion. The technicians and occupants must follow strict protocols to avoid any activity that could create a spark. Utter vigilance is required with these types of chambers pressurized with 100% oxygen.
Oxy Health chambers are completely different by design. In order to specifically avoid the downfalls of ‘static, oxygen filled chambers,’ OxyHealth portable chambers incorporate a unique ‘flow-through’ system that continuously flushes ambient air through the chamber environment resulting in a no risk environment to the occupant. This is primarily why OxyHealth chambers are approved for home use, with many other fail-safe redundancy features that also regulate the pressure.
Engineered and manufactured by Gulf Coast Hyperbarics, a Florida firm whose clients include NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, chambers are made with the same materials used in the construction of high-pressure oil pipelines.
Before treatment, you will be asked to change into 100 percent cotton scrubs that help to ensure safety and cleanliness inside the chamber. No articles containing nylon or polyester or watches, jewelry, hearing aids, contact lenses, and prosthetic devices can be worn inside the chamber. Eyeglasses are acceptable. Lockers are provided, but please leave all valuables at home. Also, personal cleanliness is important to the effectiveness of the treatment. Wound dressings are left on during treatment.
the one where the grandma and kid died was a "clam" type chamber which exploded due to faulty electrical equipment.