It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop [Posts on Facebook]

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
I've seen alot of posters talking about the girl being humiliated like that's a bad thing. The root word of humiliated is humility, being humble, which is of the highest virtues in life. Unfortunately there's not too many pleasant ways of learning that, and sometimes our role as a parent precludes teaching it.
I'm a parent (grandparent now) and I can promise you I would never spend money on a computer to let my kids sit there and trash me with it. There's respect for authority, a new sense of humility, clearly drawn boundries, all of that for six bucks worth of ammo ain't that bad of a deal really. Yeah it's melodramatic to a fault, but isn't everything lately? I am willing to bet her chores are getting done now.

Excellent post! It really is melodramatic tho, ain't it?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123

Why would I think that either of us is responsible for the discipline of a child that has nothing to do with either of us??? You speak as if you know the family - 'he has done nothing to physically harm her'.
What is the point of making that statement when you clearly don't know? And no, I'm not saying he has harmed her.

Calm down, I'm speaking broadly. You and I referring to everyone commenting on this. No, I do not know the family. Nothing in this video shows he has done physical harm to her, he has just taught her a lesson. Correct we do not know at this moment, but as this unfolds, we will get more facts.

You are inferring she's a bad kid and that has nothing to do with her upbringing. I'm saying we don't know the whole story, even if it is clear she is spoiled.

Lastly I don't know where the logic is when you admit that she humiliated her father online, but think that its ok for her father to humiliate his daughter online. Two wrongs don't make a right. Thats what most kids (and some adults apparantely) have to be told.

No, I am saying we as a society are quick to blame the parents, without accepting the fact some kids are influenced by other sources outside the family. Until we know, none of us, those posting here, should jump on the bad parent bandwagon. Did he humiliate her or teach her a valuable lesson? I and many here believe it was a good lesson. You and many others may believe it was humiliating. I think we are all allowed our opinions, and that is all I'm doing...expressing my opinion. If you feel maligned by my statements, I truly am sorry. Not my intent.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If anyone is really more interested in what all has come of this, and exactly HOW this gentleman feels about the whole shindig, check out his latest FB posts:

www.facebook.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
There still is hope out there. Great Job Dad. Finally, I parent willing to stand up and teach his daughter about how life really works. A shotgun would have been more dramatic.
Personally, I would have donated. Since his daughter doesn't appreciate it, another child gladly would have.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I felt the same way as a teenager. I was, although, quick to realize that my life then was so much easier than
what it will become. I was right.

I went through life (pre-realization) with the attitude that I should be compensated for my household duties.
At the time, I wasn't grateful for the roof over my head, and the food in front of me.
That quickly changed though. At 14 years of age, my father had a stoke, and now has no function in the whole
left side of his body. With my mother working all day, and my sister working all night to keep the house up, and no money for outside help, I was entrusted with his care.

Let me tell you, if there are any spoiled teens reading this, you have no idea how hard life can get.
I would much rather do homework/chores today. Although caring for my father was no picnic, wait until you get
out into the working world. You think your parents expect to much from you? Wait until you have a boss.
Teens who go through life thinking the way she does need a rude awakening, and this father (hopefully) provided one for her. She will apologize to her parents one day, as I have, once they understand that all their parents provide for them is the product of their very hard work.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Taken from www.facebook.com...

HOW SHE GOT CAUGHT: The Dog Did It.. no, really.

I finally came out and told her this today, partly because it was too funny NOT to share.

When my daughter made her post, she used Facebook's privacy settings to block "Family" and "Church" friend's lists. All her other friends could see it. We, of course could not.

One of our dogs is always getting in photos and therefore has her own Facebook page. It's just a cute dumb thing we did for fun. Well, the dog's profile is rarely used except when funny pictures of her are posted. Since that's not too often, and she has very few friends on Facebook, her wall is kind of bare, with relatively few posts showing up on it.

The other night we gave the dog a bath and there was a funny photo we uploaded to Facebook and tagged her in. I logged in as the dog the next morning to comment on the photo. However when I logged into the dog's profile, my daughter had forgotten to add her to the "family" list.... so our family dog's profile showed her post right there on the front page.

It wasn't any parent-hacking, computer spying, or monitoring of any kind.. the dog actually ratted her out completely by accident. She hasn't petted that dog all day today...

Attention Media Outlets:
While we appreciate the interest you're all putting forth to get in touch with us regarding the video, we're not going to go on your talk show, not going to call in to your radio show, and not going to be in your TV mini-series.

Some of you think I made an acceptable parenting decision and others think I didn't. However, I can't think of any way myself or my daughter can respond to a media outlet that won't be twisted out of context. The Dallas news TV news already showed that in their brief 5 minute interview with the psychologist.

Additionally, there's absolutely NO way I'm going to send my child the message that it's OK to gain from something like this. It would send her a message that it's OK to profit at the expense of someone else's embarrassment or misfortune and that's now how I was raised, nor how she has been raised.

So I say thank you from all of us. If we have anything to say, we'll say it here on Facebook, and we'll say it publicly, but we won't say it to a microphone or a camera. There are too many other REAL issues out there that could use this attention you're giving us. My daughter isn't hurt, emotionally scarred, or otherwise damaged, but that kind of publicity has never seemed to be to have a positive effect on any child or family.

If you're a news outlet that wants to ask us a question, feel free to so via email. I'm sure by now my email address is easy enough to find. It might take me awhile to get to a response because I'd have to sort through the "Die you bastard" emails to find it, but we will respond if its something that we feel merits it. Otherwise, sorry... no interviews, no talk shows, no call-ins.

If we respond to anything, it will be on here, and it will be in a way that our words can't be misconstrued or edited for appeal to specific audience or shock value.

Now, I'm going to try to get to work for the day.
Best of luck to all of you out there... and PLEASE give my phone a break.

Figured some might enjoy this.

edit on 10-2-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Facebook dad of the year still goes to this guy.
charlotte.cbslocal.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
'that kind of publicity has never seemed to be to have a positive effect on any child or family. ' the father says.

Its a pity he didn't think of that before posting the video on youtube and facebook.

I wonder how long before the child is identified and her schoolfriends speak to the press.

Deliberately wash your dirty linen in public and don't be surprised if everyone crowds round to take a look.

edit on 10-2-2012 by freethinker123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

'that kind of publicity has never seemed to be to have a positive effect on any child or family. ' the father says.

Its a pity he didn't think of that before posting the video on youtube and facebook.

I wonder how long before the child is identified and her schoolfriends speak to the press.

Deliberately wash your dirty linen in public and don't be surprised if everyone crowds round to take a look.

I don't believe he thought it would get as much attention as it did. How many thousands of people post tens of thousands of things on YouTube and Facebook that DON'T get as much attention as this. The reason it GOT so much attention, IMO, is because this dude is clearly right on a metaphysical level, and it resonated with a LOT of people.

In addition to THAT, he is trying to use whatever publicity DOES come of this to donate to a charity.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Maybe parents and judges should bring back public shame and humiliation to teach respect and life lessons,really not a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I am going to keep my opinions on the subject to myself for the sake of arguments. I would like to address
one thing however in this situation. In the state of Arizona (which i know he does not reside in) If you get into a dispute with a member of your family that resides with you. And then you go out front and decide to kick in your own car door (that you bought and purchased yourself and is in your name). Even though it is your personal property you committed a violent act and it was directly related to the dispute. And would be in Arizona considered domestic violence even though it may sound idiotic.
A man once got into a verbal argument with his wife. They were just yelling at each other and no physical contact ever occurred or was even close. The neighbor called the cops. When the cops got there they saw the man in his garage with a broken guitar. After questioning him about the argument they asked him what happened to the guitar. He stated that he was mad so he smashed it, but not to worry it was his own personal property. He was then hooked and taking down to be processed at the station under domestic violence laws because the wife was on the property when he committed this act.

I dont personally do not know where that stands with in this gentlemens case (do not have all the details or laws of his state) But i would wonder about the ramifications legal wise in his case, or child protective services stance on the situation as well. Again i have no opinion I am just thinking in the legal mindset here. I have personally seen peoples children (whether right or wrong) taken away from them for less than this

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto

I don't believe he thought it would get as much attention as it did. How many thousands of people post tens of thousands of things on YouTube and Facebook that DON'T get as much attention as this. The reason it GOT so much attention, IMO, is because this dude is clearly right on a metaphysical level, and it resonated with a LOT of people.

In addition to THAT, he is trying to use whatever publicity DOES come of this to donate to a charity.

Whether he didn't believe it would get as much attention as it did or not he choose to take this to the public and not to deal with it in private as the overwhelming majority of families would do. If he does work in IT he would have known that there was a possibility this would go viral, in fact anybody with a computer knows it. Most people go on to youtube pray that their videos will be watched by millions.

So now he's become a 'poster boy' for many parents and is being hounded by the media?
Wouldn't it have been better to have just spoken to his daughter and disciplined her within the family?

Don't be surpised if some of her friends say something and social services get involved.

It looks like its becoming a circus and there will only be one person to blame for that.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Social services? Haha.

There is no reason for social services to get involved. His idea was epic, and the overwhelming majority agree.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Irish614

Surely he has failed as a parent if his daughter has turned out to be such a spoilt bratt. He's the guy who has raised her after all. You reap what you sow.
No,even the best of parenting produces children that make bad choices every now and then.I've seen it happen more than once.
Teens especially at that age,think they have life all figured out.

children that have this sense of entitlement is the result of parents not wanting to damage their kids self esteem,the modern parent.Psychobable bs,if parents used a bit of humbling and humility to discipline their children don't grow up feeling that they are owed something.Either the parents teach them that or life will eventually.Nothing is fair in life and the sooner teens learn that the better.

If she wrote this rant about her boss would she get away with it?would he/she let it slide?

thanks graphuto for posting that,from my veiwpoint she has an excelent father in her life and I agree with him 100% It's refreshing to see some people actually parenting these days...I VOTE HIM FOR FATHER OF THE YEAR!
edit on 10-2-2012 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
He demands her pay (back) for the software on the laptop that HE destroyed??? What an idiot. You destroyed it, you jerk, I'm not paying you back.

When i was a kid, my stepmother destroyed some ball cards to teach me a lesson. I never forgave her for that, to this day.

When I was a teen, my father destroyed some tapes and CDs to teach me a lesson. I never forgave him for that, either.

And i wasn't an out of control or bad kid.

It's pretty obvious where this kids gets her behavior from: the PARENT. He's the one shooting it, filming, and posting his own irresponsible behavior on the internet...

Go figure.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
I've seen alot of posters talking about the girl being humiliated like that's a bad thing. The root word of humiliated is humility, being humble, which is of the highest virtues in life. Unfortunately there's not too many pleasant ways of learning that, and sometimes our role as a parent precludes teaching it.
I'm a parent (grandparent now) and I can promise you I would never spend money on a computer to let my kids sit there and trash me with it. There's respect for authority, a new sense of humility, clearly drawn boundries, all of that for six bucks worth of ammo ain't that bad of a deal really. Yeah it's melodramatic to a fault, but isn't everything lately? I am willing to bet her chores are getting done now.
Thank god someone gets it,after reading some of the posts on here some of the responses are just mind numbing

As a loving parent I would rather be the one to humiliate them than have it happen to them as a adult. it will and does.Life's not fair!

Like I said earlier if she wrote this about her boss she would be fired automatically...You can't get away with this kind of behavior in the real world.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I watched the video, and smiled the whole time. I just love this dad's very calm and very deliberate means of discipline, and I feel sorry he had to go through that.

I left a comment on the facebook thread, and I gave him very big props for his actions.

Tough love, friends. Tough love and lots of Aspercreme...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
HAHAHA!!! Epic!! I am so sick of this new snot nose generation of kids. Brilliant.. I just hope some libtards don't say "omg this man is dangerous! Call cps!!" because you know many parents these days are just as dumb as their kids and will actually stand up for the daughter.

U

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That had to be the most awesome display of parenting I have seen in "the new age".

Totally precise and right to the point! No one was hurt, and perhaps she learned a little respect.
I bet her friends did.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That was awesome! I would have used a shotgun with #4 shot. At about 10 yards the pattern would cover it with holes.

Kids think they are little adults.... well in reality they are still children and in order to help they grow up and be respectable adults sometimes they must be broken down and rebuilt. Children are far more disrespectful today then they were 10 years ago. Its a direct result of the pussification of society.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join