It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop [Posts on Facebook]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

He didn't seek to humiliate her either. She had already been in trouble for a very similar event. Since taking the stuff away for 3 months didn't fix the issue, now their isn't an issue.

I seriously doubt a lot of the people that make excuses for this guy is a parent.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by retiredTxn

Likewise I respect your opinion. And like I said I do have a good idea what he has to put up with. Her behaviour doesn't sound any better or any worse than any other teenager.

What puzzles me is why you immediately trust the father's judgement. I realise that some people are comparing themselves with the father and how they treat their own kids, but we don't have much idea the way he treats his kids. This guy does not = you. I was with the father for most of the video, but towards the end I started to wonder where the childish side of his daughter came from in the first place.

Parents are ultimately responsible for the behaviour of their children, if children are raised well by their parents the chances are they will turn out good. Of course there are other factors like schools, friends and if they live in a poor area etc.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I guess he forgot that he is the one that raised her that way. We don't know though, maybe he does make her do a ridiculous amount of chores, he seems like he could be the type that does that.

My real problem though is that this guy just destroyed something that cost money. If he wanted to make a real statement he should have filmed himself giving it to someone in need of a laptop for school or something.

Destroying it shows his judgement is as poor as his daughters.
edit on 10-2-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
first of all, some kids no matter how well raised in an upper class family that is good to them and teaches them right still turns out to be spoiled as hell with bad manners, influence which usually comes from friends...

second, sometimes the best way to get someone who is so blinded to see your point is to say it out loud in front of the world, that can be a life changer, and isn't always a bad thing, it will give her character, and humility.

thirdly, it sounds like she has been a pain in the butt for a while now. I don't really think he'll ground her for years, probably for a pretty long time, but parents (good parents that is) don't hold grudges, and do these types of things sometimes to get attention to their cause. He seems like a really good dad, and really fair....

four. swearing is a sign of disrespect to a parent. you probably won't get that if your're not a parent, but it is disrespectful, and it was in my friends houses, and I'm sure just about most of the normal households in the world. he wouldn't be doing his job as a good parent if he did not address the language.

fifth, you're missing the point about the gun, and shooting the lap top. 1. I don't think it was about money, he sounded like he was pretty well off. 2. shooting it was more a symbol meaning the crap stops here, and there is too much investment in material items rather than life values. 3. she probably loved that lap top more than anything in the world. 4. lets get real, he's for sure not teaching her to get angry and smash things up. 5. it sounds like he has been trying to teach her the value of money, seeing how she is only 15 still, trying to help get her a job, telling her "No" she won't get payed to clean her own living space. 6. it shows he puts his daughter first not material items, or the labor he put into something.

and finally sixth, I really think you're grasping at straws calling this cyber bullying or anything close to that. The daughter thought that she could vent, and publicly humiliate her own parent on a social network, how embarrassing for the parents after all they do for her, she needed this right back at her to teach a solid lesson. If my kids did this they would be lucky if I didn't get a bull horn and call all the news stations down to city hall to watch me publicly rant. IMHO you need to take a serious look from a parents perspective here, instead of posting a childish rant like this.

just to add, we really don't know what the father has been putting up with for the past 6 months 2 years whatever... things could have been building up for awhile here........
edit on 10/2/12 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

I don't agree that good parenting is done via facebook and youtube. Yes as viewers we 'enjoy' watching, but 9.99 out of 10 parents would not do this, because they know it won't help. They know that family matters are dealt with in the family. I don't even know why we are discussing this point, unless you would also be prepared to do this to your children on youtube etc.
It seems to me that reality tv has got into the psyche of some too much.

On the basis of one youtube video its hard to know what kind of dad he is. He seemed fair in the beginning but towards the end he comes accross as too extreme. And if we believe he is honest then we can also believe he would ground his daughter for years. If he didn't mean it, he could have cut that part from the video.

About the swearing we have no idea of the context - all kids swear. He might not accept that she should swear at all inside or outiside the house. Thats not realistic. And like I said swearing is the bottom of the list. There is a whole lot of stuff more important than that, but the fact he mentioned it kind of shows that she doesn't do worse stuff, or he would have said that as well.

Life values is fine, but the value of money is not the same as life values. The reason why most people want money is to buy material items. Shooting her laptop didn't help. Where is she going to do her schoolwork? Getting angry is ok, and I know its not easy dealing with teenagers, but acting like a child having a tantrum shooting laptops on youtube is not the way to do it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

Is the important thing here to understand the frustrations of a parent? Or is it to make sure that problems like this in the family go away?

She vents on facebook. He can vent bigger on youtube. Wow, how impressive.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

He was trying to teach his daughter a lesson !!
He works in IT so who's to say that was

THE actual computer??
Could have been an old 'beyond repair' lap top. After all there were

no distinguishing features and one lap top looks much the same as another??

Maybe just maybe she will learn have learnt some respect, and figurerativly speaking not to

'put two fingers up' behind her parents back!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123

What puzzles me is why you immediately trust the father's judgement.

It's simple really. We do not know the whole story of the child's behavior, nor the lengths the father has gone to dealing with her actions. Society is so ready to intervene in a parent's ability to discipline children, only to criticize them for not doing enough. This child degraded and humiliated her parent's online for all to see, which is a total lack of respect. He responded in a fashion he feels will ultimately teach her a very strong life lesson.

I trust the father's judgement because he has done nothing to physically harm her, and is well within his right's to do. Some may not agree, but ultimately HE is responsible for the discipline of his children, not you or I. Personally, I would have used my CVA Optima .50 cal instead of a .45. More damage, less money.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

That's absurd. This guy is in the wrong and anyone that disagrees has no idea how to raise a kid.
Punish your kids in private, spank them reasonably even, don't humiliate them psychologically in public. Then acting irrationally, destroy your own property with a gun. That isn't what guns are for and it's sends a violent message to the kid as unintentional as it may be (forgiving his ignorance).

This guy is a dip#. Now it's just out there for everyone to see. I would also venture to say he's not a great parent for humiliating his kid online for the whole world to see.. actually he's kind of a #ty parent.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Sometimes the ONLY way to make them see anything is to make them see for themselves

exactly what it FEEL's like. The daughter evidently had no compunction in disrespecting her

parents!! NOW she know's what it feels like she might think twice in the future

It seems too that her mother asked him to put a bullet in the computer on her behalf.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by retiredTxn

Originally posted by freethinker123

What puzzles me is why you immediately trust the father's judgement.

It's simple really. We do not know the whole story of the child's behavior, nor the lengths the father has gone to dealing with her actions. Society is so ready to intervene in a parent's ability to discipline children, only to criticize them for not doing enough. This child degraded and humiliated her parent's online for all to see, which is a total lack of respect. He responded in a fashion he feels will ultimately teach her a very strong life lesson.

I trust the father's judgement because he has done nothing to physically harm her, and is well within his right's to do. Some may not agree, but ultimately HE is responsible for the discipline of his children, not you or I. Personally, I would have used my CVA Optima .50 cal instead of a .45. More damage, less money.

Why would I think that either of us is responsible for the discipline of a child that has nothing to do with either of us??? You speak as if you know the family - 'he has done nothing to physically harm her'.
What is the point of making that statement when you clearly don't know? And no, I'm not saying he has harmed her.

You are inferring she's a bad kid and that has nothing to do with her upbringing. I'm saying we don't know the whole story, even if it is clear she is spoiled.

Lastly I don't know where the logic is when you admit that she humiliated her father online, but think that its ok for her father to humiliate his daughter online. Two wrongs don't make a right. Thats what most kids (and some adults apparantely) have to be told.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm 19 years old, and I have not (and will never do) anything like what that girl did. Teens don't just "act that way" and grow out of it. I have wonderful parents who raised me to be conscious of the world around me. I think that father is a loser - clearly not a good father. Clearly he has not taught her to respect people - he has taught her that violence is acceptable, destruction is the natural way of life, and that humiliation is the way to get a point across. Let me tell you, my parents never had to publicly humiliate me to get the point across, they never had to destroy any of my things to get me to appreciate them, and they never, ever, associated violence with a punishment. Perhaps his similar actions in the past are what led to him having such a crazy daughter.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

You of course are taking the attention hungry father's word on all this.

If it's true he is a crappy father for humiliating his daughter publicly. It's just not something you should do to a kid especially one in their early teens. It is just a poor way to punish a kid. It is complete idiocy.

If it's not a true story it is still complete idiocy.

There is really no defending it. There are a million better ways to handle it, being creative loses all merit when you turn it into a bid for attention at the expense of your daughters confidence. I honestly can't believe anyone can defend a parent humiliating their kid. By all means punish them, but don't humiliate them. He punished his daughter without contact to her. It eliminates trust. Sit down with them punish them and gain their respect simultaneously.

I stand by my decision this guy is an moron.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I love how everyone thinks this guy is wrong! LMAO! This guy is 100% right in how he raises and disciplines his daughter!

It's HIS kid, and YOU have NO rights to tell him how to raise HIS kid! I wouldn't want someone telling me how to raise my kid. She disrespected him and his house. His kids lucky that she's not on the streets fending for herself.

Parent your own kids and let others parent theirs! nuff said! and if you don't agree with me, ask your parents why your so messed up!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Exactly..
Never humiliated by my parents and they believed in spanking (only after waiting a reasonable amount of time so they weren't angry when they did it and had time to think about it themselves.) Also I got the stand in the corner punishment.

I get along with my parents and I don't resent them I probably only got those punishments a couple handfuls of times.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I think it was a little overboard. I wouldn't have shot the thing. It send a really violent message out. I would have taken it from her and given it to someone else.

I can't agree with saying the behavior is the father's fault though. My brother got in to some trouble in his teen years and my parents has raised him the best they could. Sometimes crap just happens sometimes kids just act up. It's not always the parents fault.

As for chores...That's all she has to do? I had a lot more than that. She's lucky.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

...yeah it's his kid doesn't mean he's not an idiot and raising the kid poorly.

Obviously he raised the kid to act that way probably by humiliating her just how he did this time and making her resent him waaay more than what a reasonable punishment would be. He is wrong. Dead wrong.

As I said, punish the kid, just don't be an idiot about it.

reply to post by antonia

Exactly what I said. It's violent and shows poor judgement with a firearm and he could have given it to someone who needs it. He is a damn fool.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
One thing I do have to say is...Does this guy not realize that kids do need to vent? She should not have done on Facebook, but Kids do need to talk about things when they are stressed. She probably didn't mean most of what she said.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This seems so fake and staged to me for some reason. Can anybody verify that this is real and not some guy trying to get attention? Just seems so bogus the whole thing. The laptop is newer though so it could be real. The letter from the kid just seems to be over done.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This is the best video I have seen in a while. This man deserves parent of the year award. I'm so sick of kids thinking everything should be handed to them without having to put any work into it. My younger brother is this way and he's headed down dead end street.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Best part of this whole episode? Watching a parent standing up and being a parent in a nation of 'parent wooses' who're afraid of Big Sister, Big Government and who turn to Big Pharma (Prozac) to control their kids.

Second best part? A parent using a gun to stop a threat. Period. If you don't think social media is a threat to kids - you've got another guess coming.

This guy did it - and did it right - his daughter way old enough to understand humiliation goes both ways. If she was younger I might not agree - but she's old enough by far. And really, it's time she grew up and learned you sling poo in the real world? You gonna get it back in spades.

That being said? Let's just hope 'Dad' keeps that .45 close at hand and locked up while he'd in the shower so the next TOP headline on ATS is not that she shot his arse.

peace
edit on 10-2-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join