It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop [Posts on Facebook]

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
If he's having trouble with his child, it's clearly because he has a mental disorder. Destroying an expensive piece of equipment over disrespectful comments is overkill and totally psychotic.

Exactly, he could have traded that laptop in and bought a new gun or something

But yeah... while I can see how It's "Hilarious" and "Awesome" what he did... it's also pretty pathetic and a complete waste of money.

Can't see that teaching his daughter anything other than "My dad is mentally unstable"

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
If he's having trouble with his child, it's clearly because he has a mental disorder. Destroying an expensive piece of equipment over disrespectful comments is overkill and totally psychotic.

Exactly, he could have traded that laptop in and bought a new gun or something

But yeah... while I can see how It's "Hilarious" and "Awesome" what he did... it's also pretty pathetic and a complete waste of money.

Can't see that teaching his daughter anything other than "My dad is mentally unstable"

Shooting laptop= 1200 and some change

15 year old daughter getting the message= priceless.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Shooting laptop= 1200 and some change

15 year old daughter getting the message= priceless.

As I said.. I get it, really I do... I just don't agree.

But that's cool... It takes all sorts, as they say.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Loved your take on this KDog....

Des

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slavich

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by graphuto

No it isn't. You're putting it on my age because you have nothing better to say.

She clearly is very upset with her dad and is afraid to talk to him about it. That is not a meaningful parent-child relationship and just builds resentment.

You're showing your lack of empathy.

Girls shouldn't fear their dad, that is just weird.

No, she isn't "clearly upset with her dad and afraid to talk about it." You see these same types of situations time and time again perpetuated throughout life and history. She is being a whiny brat, he is trying to instill responsibility. Sorry, but you're just wrong!

This is what teenagers DO, they're just usually grown or parented out of it, when they realize how wrong they were.
edit on 10-2-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

You are wrong. You can't control people. That's the whole point. If you let a 15 year old girl get under your skin, then what does that say about you? You think you are so high and almighty with your extra 20 years of living under your belt (doing what? going to your mundane slave job everyday doing the same crap?).

The Father is controlling. The daughter is scared of him. It is pretty simple to see. Dude has no idea how to talk to his kids and teach them good values. He is to busy trying to dominate them.

He has tried too... If you bothered to watch the whole precious 8 minutes of your life video.. Kids do not listen until you put your foot down. I think you are just like her and are afraid of your laptop getting taken away.

*edit* Anyone who says otherwise is no different than his daughter... A snot.

U

edit on 10-2-2012 by USarmyFL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by USarmyFL

Amen!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

What better way to get the message across when words just don't work anymore.
Take action,it speaks louder then words.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by USarmyFL

Originally posted by Slavich

Originally posted by graphuto

No it isn't. You're putting it on my age because you have nothing better to say.

She clearly is very upset with her dad and is afraid to talk to him about it. That is not a meaningful parent-child relationship and just builds resentment.

You're showing your lack of empathy.

Girls shouldn't fear their dad, that is just weird.

No, she isn't "clearly upset with her dad and afraid to talk about it." You see these same types of situations time and time again perpetuated throughout life and history. She is being a whiny brat, he is trying to instill responsibility. Sorry, but you're just wrong!

This is what teenagers DO, they're just usually grown or parented out of it, when they realize how wrong they were.
edit on 10-2-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

You are wrong. You can't control people. That's the whole point. If you let a 15 year old girl get under your skin, then what does that say about you? You think you are so high and almighty with your extra 20 years of living under your belt (doing what? going to your mundane slave job everyday doing the same crap?).

The Father is controlling. The daughter is scared of him. It is pretty simple to see. Dude has no idea how to talk to his kids and teach them good values. He is to busy trying to dominate them.

He has tried too... If you bothered to watch the whole precious 8 minutes of your life video.. Kids do not listen until you put your foot down. I think you are just like her and are afraid of your laptop getting taken away.

*edit* Anyone who says otherwise is no different than his daughter... A snot.

U

edit on 10-2-2012 by USarmyFL because: (no reason given)

Yea my parents tried to take my computer away once when I was 16. I kicked their ass too. What would of happened if they tried to talk to me like an adult? Probably would of seen progress, What happens when you try to take # from someone?

I'm no snot man. I work hard for what I have. if Someone tries to take it from me then I stand up and dominate. My parents learned that lesson real quick. We have a more common ground mutual friendship relationship now, and we are healthier for it. When you talk to your kids instead of oppressing them , you get results! Kid's aren't incapable of rational thought! And if you are going to punish someone it should be swift and short. Not long and prolonged to the point where it is torture and psychologically damaging.

Proper way to handle this situation would of been: Honey, I saw on your facebook where you have a problem with me. Why do you feel like you shouldn't do your chores? Here is why I think you should (then list LOGICAL reasons not based on entitlement that she should be greatful that you are her parent). I'm sure you would be surprised where this conversation would go and the insight both parties would get from it.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Slavich because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Until they are 18 years of age,they ,your children are your responsibility.

You are NOT their friend,you are their PARENT.
If they don't agree and reject that,in my opinion,they are free to go .

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Are you a girl? If not then you can't really speak on this issue because you don't understand the mental state of a young woman.

The young woman is a brat, like most of this generation...She will look up to her dad and thank him in the future. While all you turds are out in jail or being un-useful.

U

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Until they are 18 years of age,they ,your children are your responsibility.

You are NOT their friend,you are their PARENT.
If they don't agree and reject that,in my opinion,they are free to go .

Good luck!

There are different ways of parenting in different cultures. For example mainland Europe, Africa and Asia takes the view that anglo saxon cultures can't wait to kick their children out of their homes. Those cultures point to the fact that homes for seniors are full to overflowing in those western countries, as children return the favour of not wanting to look after their elders.

What happened with this girl and her father though was a typically American (US) thing. I doubt you could find any person from any non US country that would read out a letter from his daughter on youtube, then shoot her laptop all for our entertainment on the interwebs. This need to televise everything added to the failure of parenting and the drastic measures taken is kind of sad to see really.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I see the dad as doing nothing wrong here. The daughter already aired the dirty laundry so to speak so the father gave his side of it publicly just as she chose to do. He did nothing wrong in going public just as she did. This way people get both sides and can judge for themselves where the truth lies which could fall someplace in between.

The father warned the daughter already for this type of behavior, she chose to ignore it. Sure she can vent I see no issue with that. The issue comes with her tone of disrespect in cussing her parents. Clearly they are well off and he bought her all the stuff and it looked pretty new also. He paid for it he can do as he wishes with it, since she is not respecting it properly anyway.

As for him shooting it, big deal. He warned her it was going to be gone if she did it again. I found it to be an imaginative way to fix the problem.

Yes sometimes kids are a reflection of their parents. They are also a reflection of their grandparents, teachers, and guess what....their peers. I know for a fact I was a reflection of my peers at times, I also know what real abuse is like. What this father did was not abusive in anyway, only a weak minded individual would think so. If this is all I ever had to deal with as a kid I would have been thrilled. If I could I would buy the guy a drink of his choice, if he drinks. I give the guy two thumbs up for showing his daughter what it is like to have everything aired publicly. How humbling for her for her peers and their peers to see the other side of the story.

Kids are great but before they reach 11 they are already using their own minds and being their own person. They are not so much a reflection of their parents any more but a reflection of the world in general as well as their own person.

This guy was fully right on this issue. So what if he shot a laptop. It is a thing that can be replaced. In fact replacing it is just insuring job security for more than one person. It is sickening to see how PC, entitled, selfish, and materialistic the world has become.

Raist

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

LOL i just want to point out this... He does IT for a living but he spent a $130 bucks on software?? And if she is grounded from everything how is she going to see this video of his rant??

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LerroyJenkins
reply to post by sbctinfantry

LOL i just want to point out this... He does IT for a living but he spent a $130 bucks on software?? And if she is grounded from everything how is she going to see this video of his rant??

Really?
All her friends probably have access via iphones and such at school.
assuming she goes to school,in which that this has gone viral,she IS the coolest kid in school.

But ,she can't access the biggest event in her life that is about her as she knows it .

That,in itself,is the epic punishment.
edit on 10-2-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This is bs, she was just speaking her mind. She is 15 not 21 and living off her parents. This reminds me of something the school would do. He probably tough her about free speech, this small type stuff is why we are in the mind set of losing our freedom. I would under stand if she was sending nude pics and talking to weird men.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
This is bs, she was just speaking her mind. She is 15 not 21 and living off her parents. This reminds me of something the school would do. He probably tough her about free speech, this small type stuff is why we are in the mind set of losing our freedom. I would under stand if she was sending nude pics and talking to weird men.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

May I step in and reiterate something.

She is a child,a minor under the guardianship of those parents.

She has no freedom of speech yet.
Key word is yet.
When she gains that right and can survive on her own,she can say and do what ever she wants ,with in the law.
But,as long as momma and daddy are footing the bill and providing a roof over her head,her rights are dictated by her parents.
Plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
How is this not the girl's fault too? The father had warned her about it, it was her fault the laptop got shot.

She KNEW what would happen if she misbehaved again, and decided to do it anyway.

When she "gets off her lazy butt" (what she told her parents to do in the FB post) and pays for her own things, she can decided how to treat them. Until then then she might not want to go around saying bad things about the people who give her a place to live, food, clothes, computers, phones, iPods, etc, and get mad when they ask her to do the dishes.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

It is not her fault what her father decided to do in response. He could have taken it away--permanently. But for the fact that he made of video of him shooting it and then uploaded it on the internet--along with commentary--shows much more about his own immaturity and insecurities; additionally, it dos not matter if she "knew" what would happen. The father should have kept the punishment to himself.

That the father destroyed something he paid for--including the software update he bought--and expects her to pay for it, or pay him back, is equally idiotic.

Wanna discipline your children? Fine. You don't have to make a public display or you are no better.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I wish I had enough money to destroy a perfectly working laptop.

So much waste in this world.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This is coming from a 19 who has supported a parent in the way she claimed, and was beaten regularly. She was in the wrong, there is no need to act like such. This father seems to be a very brave, honest, hardworking man, and came up with a creative and inventive means of punishing his daughter. Oh how I would have loved to have seen her face when she her laptop. Selfish little brat. Also to all those who say that this new generation is lazy, greedy, and selfish please refrain from labeling an entire generation as such, we're not all like that.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
THIS WAS AWESOME! Good for him showing his little brat who's boss. I don't have children yet but I won't hesitate to put a few bullets in their laptops if they pull that BS on me.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join