It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop [Posts on Facebook]

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am 17, a young woman, and I have the utmost respect for this father.

Everything that his daughter said in her post on Facebook was publicly humiliating to the parents, and therefore, his punishment fit the crime. It was much more suitable than having a "quiet little talk in private". Even if she doesn't have the chance to see the post on Facebook herself, it will certainly get back to her through her friends.

I can't even begin to fathom everything she said in that post. I would never EVER dream of doing this to my grandmother, my mother, and my uncle. That kid doesn't know how easy she has it. She should appreciate everything that her father and mother do for her. My family is not that well off, we don't have a lot of money, we know what it's like to be hungry, but we all love and respect each other. I would willingly do all of her chores and more just know I had a roof over my head, food on the table, and the love and respect of my family, which I know I do. She should realize how lucky she really is, and show some respect.

That dad is in right all the way. I think he handled it extremely well, considering how much anger combined with disappointment you could hear in his voice. He was controlled and calm about it. If all the parents in the world knew how to discipline their offspring correctly, I doubt we would have anymore disrespectful, belligerent children and teenagers.

This dad gives me hope!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It had it coming

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriumphusCaeli
I am 17, a young woman, and I have the utmost respect for this father.

Everything that his daughter said in her post on Facebook was publicly humiliating to the parents, and therefore, his punishment fit the crime. It was much more suitable than having a "quiet little talk in private". Even if she doesn't have the chance to see the post on Facebook herself, it will certainly get back to her through her friends.

I can't even begin to fathom everything she said in that post. I would never EVER dream of doing this to my grandmother, my mother, and my uncle. That kid doesn't know how easy she has it. She should appreciate everything that her father and mother do for her. My family is not that well off, we don't have a lot of money, we know what it's like to be hungry, but we all love and respect each other. I would willingly do all of her chores and more just know I had a roof over my head, food on the table, and the love and respect of my family, which I know I do. She should realize how lucky she really is, and show some respect.

That dad is in right all the way. I think he handled it extremely well, considering how much anger combined with disappointment you could hear in his voice. He was controlled and calm about it. If all the parents in the world knew how to discipline their offspring correctly, I doubt we would have anymore disrespectful, belligerent children and teenagers.

This dad gives me hope!

Bravo...you give me hope for the future. Excellent mature post....Star for you....

Des
edit on 10-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Cool.. And his parents are watching and laughing there buts off !!!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by warren3720
It had it coming

See, that is a whole new angle!! People love to blame guns, why not blame laptops?
The laptop was obviously evil, and dangerous, and led the daughter astray, and it got what it deserved!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence
He demands her pay (back) for the software on the laptop that HE destroyed??? What an idiot. You destroyed it, you jerk, I'm not paying you back.

When i was a kid, my stepmother destroyed some ball cards to teach me a lesson. I never forgave her for that, to this day.

When I was a teen, my father destroyed some tapes and CDs to teach me a lesson. I never forgave him for that, either.

And i wasn't an out of control or bad kid.

It's pretty obvious where this kids gets her behavior from: the PARENT. He's the one shooting it, filming, and posting his own irresponsible behavior on the internet...

Go figure.

yeah, i might be the only one here that thinks this way, but that guy is a douche bag.
parenting idiot.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TriumphusCaeli

Your quote > 'This dad gives me hope'<

There speaks a well adjusted and brought up young woman

Kudos to your parents who have obviously done a throughly good job in your upbringing

I will be very proud if my grand daughters present like you when they reach 17

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I loved it!!!
Bravo for the dad!!

I just went through a similar situation with my 13 yr old daughter,only her laptop and Iphone are MINE forever!

You know,as teens ,we have all been there,but to publicly put it out there for all to see was over the top.
The laptop wasn't to blame and the facebook wasn't to blame .

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm part of the 93 kids, and all I have to say is lemme treat that guy to a drink!

I mean I don't agree that parent's should physically harm their children to get a point across - that is complete and utter idiocy and clear representation of the faulted logic used by many parents - but instead to get the point across with a punishment that hits the source! Like this guy did! Destroy the laptop and show her that he FOLLOWS what he says.

"I said if anything like this happens again, it would be alot worse."

BooM! Owned!

Ok, I went too far.
edit on 10-2-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This will not be lost on me now I have another use for my gun, parenting.

Abuse something that is privilege? POW!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
repost
edit on 10-2-2012 by bastet11 because: oops

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
How is this not the girl's fault too? The father had warned her about it, it was her fault the laptop got shot.

She KNEW what would happen if she misbehaved again, and decided to do it anyway.

When she "gets off her lazy butt" (what she told her parents to do in the FB post) and pays for her own things, she can decided how to treat them. Until then then she might not want to go around saying bad things about the people who give her a place to live, food, clothes, computers, phones, iPods, etc, and get mad when they ask her to do the dishes.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If he's having trouble with his child, it's clearly because he has a mental disorder. Destroying an expensive piece of equipment over disrespectful comments is overkill and totally psychotic.

Discipline your child like an adult, not like a drama-queen teenage girl.
edit on 10-2-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

“Your children are not your children.
They are sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For thir souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the make upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness.
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He also loves the bow that is stable.”

from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
www.goodreads.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I had to watch the video several times, just to make sure I understood the situation.
As a child born in the 70's, and who grew up in the 80's, it is greatly disturbing to me, how this shift in decency has taken a nosedive in such a short generation.
I cannot even FATHOM publicly speaking that way about my parents, or any member of my family. When I was 15, I definitely understood my place. I would be mortified to think that I would have posted something of this nature against my own parents. And if I had temporarily lost my mind and did something like this, I would have expected a full punishment to follow.
At that age, I can clearly remember coming home from school with my older brother, and cleaning the house, helping with dinner, taking care of the pets, even mowing the lawn and raking leaves and such. I would still have plenty of time for homework and friends. I always wanted to help and my entire life I can't just sit on my bum while others work circles around me. My mother instilled a sense of responsibility in her children and we always understood that we were not little suns for the planets to orbit.
So many children of this age today are confusing luxuries with necessities. We did not have any of the trappings of today so obviously we had all the time in the world to learn and understand how to function realistically in this world.
I fully support this father's decisions. I might not have gone to that extreme, but he appeared to be pretty patient and obviously whatever punishment she had before (grounding) was not doing it for her. Children look to you for guidance. They don't want you to be their friends, they want you to be their teachers and guides. They yearn for discipline and when they don't get it, they start testing their boundaries. A loving parent will stop them when they go too far. A parent that is trying to act like a friend will think they are doing well by letting the child do as they please.
What makes me laugh, is all these people that complain this guy is crazy and that he is traumatizing his kid are probably the same ones that watch kids run amok in stores with no supervision and ask "Where are the parents??"
My daughter, who is 17, is nothing like the girl in the video. She has always had responsibilities, love, and LIMITS. She never went through the "I hate my parents" stage because she is very mature and has an innate sense of right and wrong. I am so proud of her because people tell me all the time what a delight she is to be around. She never complains about chores and just digs right in. She never would even dream of asking to be reimbursed for what she does. It is her behaviour that makes me reward her in little ways when I can. (I don't have a lot of money but I try to give her an allowance when possible.) In turn, then I have to stop her from using her allowance up to buy her little brother treats.

My 5 year old son just got his report card. I was so proud because his teacher made a note that he is very respectful in her class and always listens. It means so much to me that my children actually contribute to society. Even at his age, he has a small chore chart. Cleaning his toys, schoolwork, feeding the cats, helping me with dishes and dusting. I give him what I know he can handle without frustration and he is so excited to just be helping!
I suppose our family is pretty old-fashioned. We never had a TV growing up and don't have one now. I don't have an iPhone and got my first laptop at age 33. I guess people would say I am technically challenged, but I just prefer real interaction, not hiding behind an online identity. What I write is what I truly feel and I don't say something unless I mean it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have watched the video and have noticed how quickly it has gained views over just a matter of a couple of hours. This is a bit off topic but I was wondering about when a video goes "viral". I know it has to make a ton of views, but is there also a time limit or something? Or is it just based on total views? Seems to me like this one is a lot in just two days.

U
edit on 10-2-2012 by USarmyFL because: fix

edit on 10-2-2012 by USarmyFL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by graphuto

No it isn't. You're putting it on my age because you have nothing better to say.

She clearly is very upset with her dad and is afraid to talk to him about it. That is not a meaningful parent-child relationship and just builds resentment.

You're showing your lack of empathy.

Girls shouldn't fear their dad, that is just weird.

No, she isn't "clearly upset with her dad and afraid to talk about it." You see these same types of situations time and time again perpetuated throughout life and history. She is being a whiny brat, he is trying to instill responsibility. Sorry, but you're just wrong!

This is what teenagers DO, they're just usually grown or parented out of it, when they realize how wrong they were.
edit on 10-2-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

You are wrong. You can't control people. That's the whole point. If you let a 15 year old girl get under your skin, then what does that say about you? You think you are so high and almighty with your extra 20 years of living under your belt (doing what? going to your mundane slave job everyday doing the same crap?).

The Father is controlling. The daughter is scared of him. It is pretty simple to see. Dude has no idea how to talk to his kids and teach them good values. He is to busy trying to dominate them.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
In relating to this dad,I was always hungry for money when I was young.
I didn't expect to get it from my parents,but instead did odd jobs.
I was shoveling snow from driveways,and delivering newspapers when I was 13 years old.( this was in the mid 70's).
Then we moved to a farm raising hogs and 300 acres of land.

I didn't get paid for watering the hogs,feeding them and all the other chores that went with it.

But I did get paid when I work for other farmers doing things they needed done.

I had managed to save up enough money that when I turned 16,I bought my first car for $ 300 .
A 1967 VW bug in 1980.
That was all based on a determination to become independent and freedom.
That was my drive in life,to be independent and free.
That is what I am teaching my kids now.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
if i had a daughter and she did that. the last thing i would do is make a video of me crying about it. Letting petty things(or anything for that matter) affect you doesn't make sense to me. You have to choose to be angry, and it isn't pleasant. But besides for the father creating unnessary suffering for himself it's good he teaches(or attempts) his daughter something. But even then she was just venting steam probably. I wouldn't care if my daughter said something about me on facebook. But i don't pamper her into being an ungreatful (*&( like this man clearly has. He should put some of the blame on himself

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
if i had a daughter and she did that. the last thing i would do is make a video of me crying about it. Letting petty things(or anything for that matter) affect you doesn't make sense to me. You have to choose to be angry, and it isn't pleasant. But besides for the father creating unnessary suffering for himself it's good he teaches(or attempts) his daughter something. But even then she was just venting steam probably. I wouldn't care if my daughter said something about me on facebook.

But i don't pamper her into being an ungreatful
(*&( like this man clearly has. He should put some of the blame on himself

I agree,they created this situation,but he finally woke up and realized the consequences.

You have to be hard on you kids,cause at the moment I'm getting ready to beat mine as the are fighting over the chores assigned to them!
Just kidding .
Ah,no,I'm not,you will see me in the news.
K
edit on 10-2-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join