It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop [Posts on Facebook]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop [Posts on Facebook]

www.myfoxdfw.com

Video of a North Carolina father destroying his daughter’s laptop has gone viral. The angry parent said he wanted to set an example of tough love after discovering his daughter’s disrespectful Facebook post.

The video titled “Facebook Parenting: For the Troubled Teen” was posted on Wednesday by a man named Tommy Jordan. He sits in a lawn chair and explains that his 15-year-old daughter Hannah thought it would be

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: www.myfoxdfw.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2012/2/10 by sbctinfantry because: Snazzy editing and addition of video

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I love stories like these because it caught my wife's attention enough to show me, and it even hooked me until after he was finished reading.

I thought, man, this guy is really handling his daughter well. Then, he added his own comments and I was losing him. After that it's pretty much a PR/Propaganda campaign against disciplining your kids in new and interesting ways that are...

EFFECTIVE

What better way to teach your kid there are life consequences for being an idiot than being an idiot and getting on the national news?

Can't wait to see her response, clothing line, reality TV show for both next season, and much, much market ably more.

www.myfoxdfw.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Of course, the child psychologist is peddling half truths about the harshness of this method of discipline. I feel somewhat uncomfortable about the whole thing and I came to the conclusion it was none of my business and I don't really care either way.

My personal disclosure on this matter is that it was enough for me and my wife to have a serious talk about the future of the internet for our children. In fact, check out some of the video responses and ask yourself what you children might be doing on the net behind your back down the road... It's not always serious, sinister or wrong, just misguided and a threat to their future.

edit on 2012/2/10 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
that lady in the last video is right, gratitude, the selfish little prick has a cleaning lady?!? lol

not to mention, hes hot!!! lol
edit on 10-2-2012 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What an absolutely brilliant father. I wish I had him as my father, then I wouldn't have been a # up, but I'm improving myself.

Young people today are absolutely disgusting. Needy, selfish, rude, ignorant and immature, devoid of any sense of right or respect. If more parents were like this, then we would live in a much better society.

Good man

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of spoilt teenagers out there and I'm sure that this girl falls into that category but was that the right way to handle it?
First - good parenting isn't done over youtube and facebook for our entertainment, its done directly between parents and the children. If this had happened in another context it could be considered trolling or cyberbullying.
Second - Was it really necessary to get out a gun to shoot a working laptop? I mean when the guy has spent hours on installing software on it where is the logic. And if he is trying to teach the value of money / looking after things to his daughter is it wise to destroy it. What does he think he is teaching his daughter next time she gets angry - go smash up something?
Third - Cussing. Everybody swears, of course its ok to have a rule that kids shouldn't swear in the house, but it is at the bottom of the list of priorities

A couple more points that the father has to understand, most teenagers are a pain in the ass. They will be lazy, they will swear, they will complain about their parents to their friends. Most of us did exactly the same. Grounding your kid for a couple of years won't make things any better, it will make them hate you and they might respond by even worse behaviour.

Lastly if your kid misbehaves so much you have to ask where that comes from. Have you been setting the right example? How have you been raising them? Have you not spent enough time with them, getting to know them. Its not rocket science to realise that going on facebook and youtube to embarass or humiliate your children isn't the best way to raise your children. (rant over!)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

While I undersand the father's anger at the teen's posting, demanding that she pay for the bullets and the software he just destroyed reminds me of how Iran used to (maybe still do?) charge the family of the executed for the bullets they used to kill their loved ones. Both seem like extreme behaviors.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Absolutely priceless!! Send that Dad a cold beer on me!! Nothing like a reality check for a member of the Gimme Gimme generation!!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Obviously you didn't watch the original video, she isn't a "cleaning lady".

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The girl probably now hates her father. I would.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I just shared this on facebook a few minutes ago...

I think more parents need to put their kids in their places.

I liked the part when he says 'when you get ungrounded..... whatever year that might be....'
edit on 10-2-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

This was done to humiliate her. A lot of times that is the only way to get to people.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
The girl probably now hates her father. I would.

Probably! But I'm sure she'll set her hate aside just long enough to ask her dad for money when she needs it. It's classic really and some teenagers never outgrow that behavior because their parents enable it. I know 40 year olds with kids who still absolutely rely on their parents for money because they refuse to work above and beyond and refuse to alter their lifestyles to match their income levels. Shame on the parents (who are now retired and have to support themselves and their adult children) Cut them off!!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
reply to post by hapablab

Obviously you didn't watch the original video, she isn't a "cleaning lady".

lol oops

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That is AMAZING!!!!!........Tough Love is probably hard to do but Im sure 10-15 maybe 20 years down the road that little girl will laugh and thank her father for instilling some rock solid morals for her!!!!
...Good JOB!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
As a parent of 13yo who is going thru some of this stuff right now, I completely understand where this guy is coming from. Perhaps posting a Youtube isn't the most mature response, but he is hurt, angry, disappointed and insulted (publicly).
There have been many times I have had to stop myself from ripping an ipod away and throwing it against the wall, or out the car window. More than once I have come close to gravity-testing the X-Box in a mil-spec manner.

The electronics aren't just toys or luxuries for this generation, they are their life. Without FB, twitter, texting and facetime they cease to be socially relevant. Because of this, they easily isolate themselves into a virtual world where they feel free to say or do anything, because there is a false sense that no one can hold them accountable.
Kids invariably get sucked into this virtual arena and become more and more isolated from family. It's freaky weird and unhealthy, and breeds situations like this father encountered.

In my situation, we discovered my 13yo had sent ~5300 texts in under one month. The rabbit hole went deep, with highlights like facetime sexting with a girlfriend and almost-illegal photo sharing (scary moment, thinking there might be felony-level pictures associated with your cellphone account!). There were also many messages like what this guy read. It's pushing 2 months later and we are still extricating our son from this mess.

He is our oldest, and in hindsight we made some pretty horrible mistakes. When your kids hit 11-12, they want electronics like crazy. No big deal, until they hit some age where things change. Our kid hit junior high. Then, those innocent electronics became a vector for crazy. Apparently, less than half of parents monitor and check up on their children's electronic life. From experience I can say that controlling and monitoring is one of the most important jobs parents have in today's world!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

Seriously? I respect your opinion, but you have no idea what this father has put up with prior to this incident. To question if this was really necessary, we need a little more info. Until then, we need to respect the father's judgement.

To end your comments by questioning has the father spent enough time with this child, etc., is an attempt to turn this around and blame it on the parent. He should have given her more freedom, make sure she get's a trophy or medal even when she doesn't win, arranged appropriate play dates and monitored them more closely, yadda yadda yadda!

My daughter once told me she was tired of me coming into her room and telling her to turn down the stereo. As the stereo hit the floor and I stomped it to pieces, she began saying I'm sorry. Too late. But, at least she never had to worry about me bothering her anymore.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of spoilt teenagers out there and I'm sure that this girl falls into that category but was that the right way to handle it?
First - good parenting isn't done over youtube and facebook for our entertainment, its done directly between parents and the children. If this had happened in another context it could be considered trolling or cyberbullying.
Second - Was it really necessary to get out a gun to shoot a working laptop? I mean when the guy has spent hours on installing software on it where is the logic. And if he is trying to teach the value of money / looking after things to his daughter is it wise to destroy it. What does he think he is teaching his daughter next time she gets angry - go smash up something?
Third - Cussing. Everybody swears, of course its ok to have a rule that kids shouldn't swear in the house, but it is at the bottom of the list of priorities

A couple more points that the father has to understand, most teenagers are a pain in the ass. They will be lazy, they will swear, they will complain about their parents to their friends. Most of us did exactly the same. Grounding your kid for a couple of years won't make things any better, it will make them hate you and they might respond by even worse behaviour.

Lastly if your kid misbehaves so much you have to ask where that comes from. Have you been setting the right example? How have you been raising them? Have you not spent enough time with them, getting to know them. Its not rocket science to realise that going on facebook and youtube to embarass or humiliate your children isn't the best way to raise your children. (rant over!)

first of all, some kids no matter how well raised in an upper class family that is good to them and teaches them right still turns out to be spoiled as hell with bad manners, influence which usually comes from friends...

second, sometimes the best way to get someone who is so blinded to see your point is to say it out loud in front of the world, that can be a life changer, and isn't always a bad thing, it will give her character, and humility.

thirdly, it sounds like she has been a pain in the butt for a while now. I don't really think he'll ground her for years, probably for a pretty long time, but parents (good parents that is) don't hold grudges, and do these types of things sometimes to get attention to their cause. He seems like a really good dad, and really fair....

four. swearing is a sign of disrespect to a parent. you probably won't get that if your're not a parent, but it is disrespectful, and it was in my friends houses, and I'm sure just about most of the normal households in the world. he wouldn't be doing his job as a good parent if he did not address the language.

fifth, you're missing the point about the gun, and shooting the lap top. 1. I don't think it was about money, he sounded like he was pretty well off. 2. shooting it was more a symbol meaning the crap stops here, and there is too much investment in material items rather than life values. 3. she probably loved that lap top more than anything in the world. 4. lets get real, he's for sure not teaching her to get angry and smash things up. 5. it sounds like he has been trying to teach her the value of money, seeing how she is only 15 still, trying to help get her a job, telling her "No" she won't get payed to clean her own living space. 6. it shows he puts his daughter first not material items, or the labor he put into something.

and finally sixth, I really think you're grasping at straws calling this cyber bullying or anything close to that. The daughter thought that she could vent, and publicly humiliate her own parent on a social network, how embarrassing for the parents after all they do for her, she needed this right back at her to teach a solid lesson. If my kids did this they would be lucky if I didn't get a bull horn and call all the news stations down to city hall to watch me publicly rant. IMHO you need to take a serious look from a parents perspective here, instead of posting a childish rant like this.

just to add, we really don't know what the father has been putting up with for the past 6 months 2 years whatever... things could have been building up for awhile here........
edit on 10/2/12 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
My son got caught stealing once when he was in high school, so I took his PSP and, much to his horror, smashed it with a rubber mallet. I caught alot of flack for it from the grandparents, but to my knowledge he has never stolen anything since.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Eish! Well thats told her i guess,

As funny as i find it i also feel its a little wrong, End of the day she is young and they all rebel at some point, As for her father i just feel that he could have acted in a more appropriate way like have a word with her at home or kinda just take the laptop away rather than airing there dirty laundry on youtube,

It kinda makes me feel that he is not really setting the right example to her,

Again she is just doing what most teens do, they grow out of it! but to have this follow her around for the next goodness knows how many years and even make news is just a little to much,

A lesson for sure but lets hope this dose not end up biting them all on the bottom,

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

In my family we don't seek to humiliate somebody we love. And if we have a serious problem, we don't take it to let the outside world see it. This may be the age of the tv / internet, but family issues should be dealt with in private.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join